Nintendo Switch

Much as I love Mario Cars, isn’t the AR thing a bit pointless? As in even if you’ve got the appropriately floored space to make a track, if you’re playing it you won’t be looking at the cars.

Every AR thing I’ve tried has lost its appeal after about two minutes - at least the AR bit has, anyway.

4 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Much as I love Mario Cars, isn’t the AR thing a bit pointless? As in even if you’ve got the appropriately floored space to make a track, if you’re playing it you won’t be looking at the cars.

Every AR thing I’ve tried has lost its appeal after about two minutes - at least the AR bit has, anyway.

It looks amazing but I don’t have space, imagine a Pilot Wings version with drones :o

48 minutes ago, ZOK said:

But you'll be watching them go under your coffee table and running down your cat :wub:

5 hours ago, friedgold said:

Mario Kart Live is insane, I love it. :lol:

It looks terrific but I don’t get it. 
If you’re playing on a console you look at the screen. 
If you’re playing with a physical toy say scalextric, you look at the toy. 
What’s the point if have a physical toy that you don’t look at apart from entertaining those who aren’t playing?

I’m shite at RC cars because I always forget which way to steer the controls depending on which way the car is facing. How left is always left, but I somehow can’t quickly and instinctively figure that out if I’m driving the car towards myself or something. I can only figure it out if it’s driving away from me. Similar I suppose to folk who struggle with one control method over the other in that Lonely Mountains Downhill bike game.

I’d have loved a first person perspective when playing with RC cars so I could have negated this shortcoming as a boy :lol: 

I suppose another massive part of the fun will be had from seeing your living room or whatever on the Switch screen from a shrunken down miniature perspective, Toy Story style almost. Being able to see and drive past yourself with a decent sensation of speed because of the scale. It could be brilliant if they manage to nail a decent level of responsiveness. 

2 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I suppose another massive part of the fun will be had from seeing part of your house on the Switch screen from a shrunken down miniature perspective, almost. Being able to see and drive past yourself with a decent sensation of speed because of the scale. It could be brilliant if they manage to nail a decent level of responsiveness. 

The camera seems to manipulate the FOV, too. So that helps in making your home look like an actual level in a video game.

I love the idea of it but with the size of the car I can see it constantly bumping in to furniture and getting stuck. That said, I will probably still buy it for the boy for christmas to add to the pile RC cars, Scalextric and Anki overdrive that he never plays with 

Can you design your own tracks with this? Or do you have to have space for the set configurations? Presumably the former... If so, I wonder how the AI is programmed. Some sort of track designer in game? We need a treehouse demo! 

Just now, Quest said:

Maybe you lay down the checkpoints in a track formation of your choosing, then do a few laps to program it in, if that makes sense.

(I have no idea if this is possible)

The bit in the video of the kart driving around with paint on the wheels is how you map out a track.

4 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

The bit in the video of the kart driving around with paint on the wheels is how you map out a track.

Yep, just to confirm this:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Mario-Kart-Live-Home-Circuit-1832413.html

Assemble the gates and place on them on the floor around your room.

Drive your kart through the four gates to make a course in any shape you please.

From the Ninty website:

Friends and family can also get together and enjoy multiplayer races for up to four players, so long as each player has their own Kart, Nintendo Switch console and a copy of the software.

————

Everyone needs their own console! Split screen on tv is surely what you want. Have I got it wrong?

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Neat. That's pretty much how the track creation works in the Labo Variety Kit.

22 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

Everyone needs their own console! Split screen on tv is surely what you want. Have I got it wrong?

Probably just Nintendo being Nintendo, but could be a bandwidth issue? One Switch communicating with numerous car-cameras and controllers might be too much for it to handle. Maybe.