Nintendo Switch

14 hours ago, Myshkin said:

in handheld mode, no less. I'm one of the few peons who doesn't get Zelda. but a 4k 60fps handheld Zelda? That I'd try.

4K on such a small screen wouldn’t really be that noticeable. 

They're not going to put a 4K screen in a handheld. There's no benefit. Even the iPad Mini, which is bigger than a Switch, isn't close to 4K. It's just over a quarter of that res.

I would love a souped-up Switch. I can absolutely see its value and can see why the Lite appealed, but I actually wanted the opposite - a docked-only version! (which I understand defeats the entire concept of the thing.) 

I will always buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. My work / life situation currently renders handheld gaming rare and unattractive; when I do get to play games I want to get as far away from anything small and smartphone-like as possible set aside a break time with a full screen experience. :) Of course I see the appeal of toilet gaming and the joys of using or continuing to use a Switch off-big-screen while commuting for those who get to do that, however!

2 hours ago, CS2x said:

I would love a souped-up Switch. I can absolutely see its value and can see why the Lite appealed, but I actually wanted the opposite - a docked-only version! (which I understand defeats the entire concept of the thing.) 

I would have liked to see an Apple TV-sized puck, bundled with a pro controller, with slots for game cards and memory cards. I think that without a screen or battery it could potentially have been quite cheap. If they’d launched it at the same time as the Lite I think it might have been quite attractive. 

57 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

I would have liked to see an Apple TV-sized puck, bundled with a pro controller, with slots for game cards and memory cards. I think that without a screen or battery it could potentially have been quite cheap. If they’d launched it at the same time as the Lite I think it might have been quite attractive. 

I did think of a concept like that too, like a Switch version of the PS Vita TV, but in practice I can’t see Nintendo devaluing one of their hardware formats like that. Just isn’t their MO.

How does it devalue it? I think it’d be great if the price was right, but with joycons rather than Pro Controller - multiplayer out of the box and compatible with stuff like Ring Fit Adventure. 

I can totally see the value of a 4K Switch, or at least a souped-up Switch Pro. The Switch is, by far, my most played on system and I own a PS4 Pro and a good gaming PC. We've had some ambitious ports on the Switch like The Witcher 3 and The Outer Worlds to name just a few, all with varying degrees of success - but these ports always appeal to me so I can play these games on the sofa whilst my gf is watching TV, or in bed, or when I'm travelling (which naturally is much rarer now but still happens from time-to-time) and having a souped-up version of the console where these ports would have a better chance of competing against the big console versions would be amazing.

Of course, in addition to more GPU grunt, a Switch Pro would really need improved Joy Cons, ideally with analogue triggers. I don't really understand why Nintendo didn't include those on the Joy Cons we already have.

8 hours ago, Alex W. said:

1080p handheld and 4K docked surely?

I'd expect so. Current docked performance when undocked, and Super Performance when docked.

You really don't need 4k. It's such a waste. Unless you are sat with your face close enough to your TV to give you gammonitis, it's really not a big leap in visuals over 1080p. It would be a pointless Switch upgrade.

Seeing as game framerates often chug at the Switch's 1080p (or 900p, depending on the game) docked resolution, they'd need to add some serious processing and graphical power to a Switch Pro to get it to 4k. I can't see it happening. I'd be a lot happier with something that allowed me to play everything at a consistent 60FPS at 1080p.

13 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Anyone bought RPG Maker on Switch? Tempted but price is high for something I might not actually use much....

Yes.  I bought it a couple of years ago.  I quite enjoy completing games, but it comes from the satisfaction of working out how to get it to do what I want, rather than people actually playing my creations.

Haven't used it for a while, having said that, as I'm trying to finish a very complex one on 3DS, which I started back in 2017!

2 minutes ago, Tomcat said:

Yes.  I bought it a couple of years ago.  I quite enjoy completing games, but it comes from the satisfaction of working out how to get it to do what I want, rather than people actually playing my creations.

Haven't used it for a while, having said that, as I'm trying to finish a very complex one on 3DS, which I started back in 2017!

I thought it only came out this week?! 

7 minutes ago, Tomcat said:

It's been out in Japan for ages.

Ah. I see the Japanese version has full English support... Do you know if there are any differences? Seems the Japanese version can be picked up quite a bit cheaper...

It’ll be the same 720p screen and handheld power profile that has worked so well for them but with some kind of 4K support/option when docked. They’re just responding to changes in available display options in the tv market. 

I've made a noob accidental mistake I suspect. Saw the Mario x 3 games and thought fab! Son has wanted Sunshine on Switch forever. Was in a mad dash so clicked on purchase and, only afterwards realised I'd purchased download version. 

So a: I'm not getting that money back am I? The email confirmation pretty much says this but has anyone had any success with swapping from dl to boxed copy and b: purchased it by mistake on the account linked to my switch (which my wife has stolen to become her Animal Crossing machine). There's no way to download it and keep it on my sons machine is there? To transfer a game between users?