Nintendo Switch

4 hours ago, Dan said:

I’m currently away with work 4 nights a week and take my Switch. I’m sure it’s been discussed before, but what’s my best option for plugging into a tv while I’m away. I don’t want to bring the dock away with me, but it would be nice to be able to hook it up to tv where I stay. 

I’ve had a couple of cheap USB-C dongles from Amazon and they’ve both been fine - in fact I only replaced the first one because I needed one that could also output 4K60 from my work MacBook Pro when I started working from home when the lockdown began.

The general consensus is just that you need to use them with an official Nintendo charger, which is what I’ve been doing, and I’ve never had a single problem.

8 hours ago, Zio said:

I’ve had a couple of cheap USB-C dongles from Amazon and they’ve both been fine - in fact I only replaced the first one because I needed one that could also output 4K60 from my work MacBook Pro when I started working from home when the lockdown began.

The general consensus is just that you need to use them with an official Nintendo charger, which is what I’ve been doing, and I’ve never had a single problem.

Cheers, I’ll have a look. ☺️

I bought a cheap USB-C dongle initially. Despite being advertised as working on Switch  it only worked a couple of times before failing to connect. I only ever used the official power supply. It works ok with the laptop but seems to have issues with HDMI output. Don’t buy cheap I suppose. I then got one of these:

DBE118EC-BC7E-4A4E-82CF-FC45F8D8D1DC.thumb.jpeg.9a3fde69662cf1d4157be3c0cbe085aa.jpeg

It works really well, and is small enough to throw in a bag. You clearly just need an HDMI cable and an official power supply. It also has a button that you can switch between dock mode and charging only, so you could use it as a charging stand to play in tabletop mode. It was only about £20 at the time. 

I think the Genki power brick dock replacement might be an option but I don’t know how well it’s been reviewed. 

Santa is dropping 2x switches for my boys this Christmas, I’m trying to get ahead of the inevitable questions.  Made a dedicated topic in ATF but no bites so trying here if you don’t mind

Controllers/Connectivity

If kid 1 is playing Mario Oddessy, kid 2 can control cappy using his own joycons from switch 2 right – I assume you re-sync them to docked switch?  Same for smash bros and mario kart etc?

Or can he connect from his switch to the docked switch and play cappy /Mario kart etc locally?

Accounts

I seem to have 3 accounts, Nintendo Account, Nintendo Network ID, My Nintendo – what’s going on? I assume I need to create kids accounts after Santa drops the payload.  they have 2ds xl so i may have already done this...

Family Sharing

I know that family sharing is a bit more limited, would I buy eshop games under my account and sign into both their consoles and they can play the games I’ve bought (I’m aware that the same digital game can’t be played simultaneously)  

Or would I just cut myself out of it and just have them sign into each other’s switches and spread the game purchases between each other?

Online Play

Whats the scoop? They’ll want it for Minecraft and eventually Fortnite if they convince their mum.

Labo

Can that still be got?  Whats the best to get for them to share/muck about with.

1 hour ago, fattakin said:

Labo

Can that still be got?  Whats the best to get for them to share/muck about with.

it can, look for deep discounts as they come up from time to time. The Variety and Vehicle packs are probably the two easiest for sharing and collaboration.

10 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

I bought a cheap USB-C dongle initially. Despite being advertised as working on Switch  it only worked a couple of times before failing to connect. I only ever used the official power supply. It works ok with the laptop but seems to have issues with HDMI output. Don’t buy cheap I suppose. I then got one of these:

DBE118EC-BC7E-4A4E-82CF-FC45F8D8D1DC.thumb.jpeg.9a3fde69662cf1d4157be3c0cbe085aa.jpeg

It works really well, and is small enough to throw in a bag. You clearly just need an HDMI cable and an official power supply. It also has a button that you can switch between dock mode and charging only, so you could use it as a charging stand to play in tabletop mode. It was only about £20 at the time. 

I think the Genki power brick dock replacement might be an option but I don’t know how well it’s been reviewed. 

I agree, buy official or go with the Genki Covert Dock. Until recently I was using the Skull & Co Jumpgate but for some reason it's stopped docking my Switch but it still works fine as a standard USB-C port for my laptop to show via HDMI which I don't get. I'm using the official Switch USB-C power cable to power it.

I've been using the Genki Covert Dock for the past week and it's been absolutely fine, the only downside is that it lays flat but that's not too much of a big deal. To me it's ideal as a travel companion because of the interchangable travel sockets and it's the size of a travel plug.

The other alternative I would say is to buy another Switch dock and convert it into a smaller case which I only realised you could do recently. I just won a cheap official dock on Ebay and ordered this which is what I'm currently waiting for:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07F7S54DY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

16 minutes ago, Spiceymike said:

I agree, buy official or go with the Genki Covert Dock. Until recently I was using the Skull & Co Jumpgate but for some reason it's stopped docking my Switch but it still works fine as a standard USB-C port for my laptop to show via HDMI which I don't get. I'm using the official Switch USB-C power cable to power it.

I've been using the Genki Covert Dock for the past week and it's been absolutely fine, the only downside is that it lays flat but that's not too much of a big deal. To me it's ideal as a travel companion because of the interchangable travel sockets and it's the size of a travel plug.

The other alternative I would say is to buy another Switch dock and convert it into a smaller case which I only realised you could do recently. I just won a cheap official dock on Ebay and ordered this which is what I'm currently waiting for:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07F7S54DY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Where did you get the Genki from? I can’t seem to find it anywhere in the U.K.  

2 hours ago, Spiceymike said:

You can also get the oficial circuit boards out of the dock from Aliexpress, or at least, you could around a year ago, I had a few faulty docks and just popped new boards in them.

23 hours ago, fattakin said:

Controllers/Connectivity

If kid 1 is playing Mario Oddessy, kid 2 can control cappy using his own joycons from switch 2 right – I assume you re-sync them to docked switch?  Same for smash bros and mario kart etc?

Or can he connect from his switch to the docked switch and play cappy /Mario kart etc locally?

Snap the other controllers onto the Switch you want to play on and they will sync automatically. Then swap them back to the other Switch afterwards when you want to go back to that one. However, you have to play 2 player Mario Odyssey with 1 joycon each in the horizontal position IIRC. You can't have both players using split joycons on that one. Same with Mario Party - every player has to use 1 joycon. And 51 Worldwide Classics. Dunno why, it's stupid.

11 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Snap the other controllers onto the Switch you want to play on and they will sync automatically. Then swap them back to the other Switch afterwards when you want to go back to that one. However, you have to play 2 player Mario Odyssey with 1 joycon each in the horizontal position IIRC. You can't have both players using split joycons on that one. Same with Mario Party - every player has to use 1 joycon. And 51 Worldwide Classics. Dunno why, it's stupid.

Cool technique to sync, thanks! That's shite about 2 player, i can see that being a pain in the arse but then again they have tiny hands. 

Couple of questions. I've ordered myself one of those 8Bitdo bluetooth adapters so I can use a PS4 controller when the Switch is docked (cheaper option than a Pro pad!). But I've just realised the dongle is quite big and the rear USB port might not have enough clearance for it to fit inside. Has anyone used one of these dongles and does it fit inside the dock? Otherwise I've got to have it protruding from one of the outside ports, which is hardly the end of the world but would look unsightly. #firstworldproblems

Secondly, is it simple enough to transfer video clips from the internal memory to a microSD card and put them on a computer for later editing/uploading, etc.? I know they're only 30 second clips but I've got a few of them saved and want to do something fun with them.

Finally, not a question but a moan - switching game cards is a pain in the arse and I wish I'd bought digital instead. But it's so much more expensive, and this was not the cheap digital future I was promised! :lol:

15 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

Finally, not a question but a moan - switching game cards is a pain in the arse and I wish I'd bought digital instead. But it's so much more expensive, and this was not the cheap digital future I was promised! :lol:

I can't help with the dongle as I don't have one, but with regards buying games digitally there's often some good sales on the eShop, so I normally just wait for games I want to go into one.

If you add a game to your wish list (tap the little heart icon in the game's eShop page), Nintendo will email you occasionally when a game in it goes on sale. And, if nothing else, it makes it really easy to search through your wish list to see what's on sale and what isn't.

22 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

Couple of questions. I've ordered myself one of those 8Bitdo bluetooth adapters so I can use a PS4 controller when the Switch is docked (cheaper option than a Pro pad!). But I've just realised the dongle is quite big and the rear USB port might not have enough clearance for it to fit inside. Has anyone used one of these dongles and does it fit inside the dock? Otherwise I've got to have it prodruding from one of the outside ports, which is hardly the end of the world but would look unsightly. #firstworldproblems

Secondly, is it simple enough to transfer video clips from the internal memory to a microSD card and put them on a computer for later editing/uploading, etc.? I know they're only 30 second clips but I've got a few of them saved and want to do something fun with them.

I think you’re gonna have to stick the dongle out of one of the outer ports. That’s what I have to do when using a headset. It is unsightly but it isn’t the end of the world. Although, in saying that, there wasn’t any Covid kicking about until I stuck that dongle in there, so who can say?

Super Mario Bros 35 is pretty fun, didn't even die on the first goomba*!

Best I've managed is second place because my work shift started and I had to idle :(

Physics are different from the original Super Mario Bros, you bounce much higher off enemies. I guess it's more like Mario Maker? Havent played it long enough to see what else has changed.

Did see a Bowser in 1-1 so that was cool, haha.

image.thumb.png.cbd47df07f8680f1674589359dc78c75.png

I like it, but the timer is far too lenient at the moment, as a shell kick against a swarm of goombas gives you so much time that you can just go at a casual pace. There's definitely merit in doing any swimming level, bowser or flying fish level that you can get your hands on to really mix up what's on everyone else's screens. 

I got my first win just after 3 games. It feels like it goes on forever if you're one of the last survivors. It took ages to whittle it down from the Top 6. I guess I was expecting (hoping) for a full frenetic fast paced, in and out (oo-er) experience.

I got a win about 5 games in. It definitely feels quite Battle Royale-y. Starting off quite slow, just rinsing 1-1 and 1-2 a few times to get enough time/coins/the fire flower. I'll be honest I won by getting early time on the board and then quite slowly playing Mario whilst trying to kill as much as possible. 

Sorry to hijack the thread guys but i have just had a switch as an early Christmas present a few weeks ago and i have an issue with it and i don't know if i am being thick.

How to i add a passcode so if god forbid it gets lost or stolen i can stop people getting into the device.