Nintendo Switch

I had a little go on Zelda again the other day, but my switch is so unused it's shameful.

Can someone recommend some games, please? The store is full of shovelware and I find it very difficult to know what is genuinely good.

I like:

Racing games (not bloody mariokart plz, I have it)

I have some shmups

Generally not a huge JRPG fan

I love "arcade games" like with the Dreamcast. Local multiplayer would be great.

I am not that bothered about their IP, Zelda is alright but feels a bit pointless/aimless at times. Mario... it's OK. 

Appreciate some tips/recommendations.

My all time favourite indie game is on the Switch:

https://store-jp.nintendo.com/list/software/70010000021588.html

One glance at the screens and a lot of people usually apprehensive regarding bullet hell would be turned away. It actually has one of the best learning curves I can remember. You're always having lots of fun while you improve.

"Hmm, this game isn't really that hard after all!"

Looks at clock.

"Yeah, maybe because I've just done five hours solid without realising!"

5 hours ago, Spoonman said:

I had a little go on Zelda again the other day, but my switch is so unused it's shameful.

Can someone recommend some games, please? The store is full of shovelware and I find it very difficult to know what is genuinely good.

I like:

I have some shmups

I love "arcade games" like with the Dreamcast. Local multiplayer would be great.

I am not that bothered about their IP, Zelda is alright but feels a bit pointless/aimless at times. Mario... it's OK. 

Have you tried Virtua Racing? It’s fantastic, and should be right up your alley if you like racing games and arcade games. 

28 minutes ago, Popo said:

Have you tried Virtua Racing? It’s fantastic, and should be right up your alley if you like racing games and arcade games. 

Last played that in '95 I think! On a 32X in Addenbrookes, with my best friend. Good shout, thank you.

Mr Driller on Switch is a work of absolute genius design.  The Indiana Jones level where rocks roll after you is outstanding, and every mode feels new and original.  They took the basic Mr Driller and added all these new modes which should feel tacked-on, but they are all marvellous. 

7 hours ago, Spoonman said:

I like:

I have some shmups

Hades? Possibly the GOTY! 

1 hour ago, RaoulSilva said:

Is Grip (Rollcage style racing game) any good? It's currently £7 on the eshop. 

I loved the original rollcage but was told GRIP isn't good. I will revisit this...

EDIT: Apparently it struggles to achieve 30 FPS on the Switch, which is shocking. So that's what I didn't bother with it :(

I liked GRIP at first. As a kid I played a lot of the Rollcage demo and recently tried GRIP when it went free on some service this year. I'd kickstarted it years before its release but when that didn't reach its funding goal I lost the news trail.

I loved the first racing track and then suddenly out of nowhere Luther Vandross's delicious voice kicked in, conducting wild flips and reconnections with the tarmac before jetting off into the next weightless pirouette. For ten minutes I was in a wide-grinned flow that stands as one of the best things about games. Then I got off that first track and was faced with poorly telegraphed corners and unreadable routes with significantly worse design and the next two hours were miserable.

Still.

Finally got a Switch and loving it, but the joycons are too small for my hands to split them for 2 player Mario Kart. I got one of the 8bitdo adapters for my Dualshock, and though it seems to be pair, it won't respond to any inputs on the Switch. LED on the dongle is solid though, and the light is blue on the DS4. Tried with 2 controllers. I've emailed the support team, but wondered if anyone else had something similar and could offer advice. Have updated the adapter to the latest firmware and switched on the WIred Pro setting on the Switch.

Has anyone has any long-term issues with the Hori Split Pad Pro?  

Aside from issues with Labo or Ring Fit, has anyone had any comparability issues.  Obviously with Switch Lite out, all games should support this type of controller.  I'm just sick of sending back Joy-Cons to Nintendo.  I think I've had something like returns across 2 different pairs.

I know Nintendo haven't commented on this issue, but are newer Joy-Cons still crapping out with drift?  Touch wood, I've had no issues with my Lite, but my kids are getting bummed out that controllers need to keep on being sent back.

5 hours ago, Bucky said:

Has anyone has any long-term issues with the Hori Split Pad Pro?  

None, they're so good. Much more comfortable to hold, and the buttons and sticks are much better than the Joycons. I've had my Split Pads almost since they came out and I'll never use the Joycons again. 

7 hours ago, Popo said:

I had the same issue at first - I changed the USB port the adapter was connected to on the Switch and it started working as expected. 

Tried that, but may try again. Got a conversation going with support now so maybe they can help me out. Otherwise I'll try getting it replaced