Jump to content

Nintendo Switch


Recommended Posts

Just now, mdn2 said:

I thinks it's because it's been localised and has QoL features. The NES Online games are just rom dumps. 

 

There are already translated Roms - can't see that part being a big deal. The emulators are already QoL improvements with save states. 

 

Love Fire Emblem but meh. The first one has been remade multiple times and was hoping we'd hear about the follow up to Three Houses by now. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kensei said:

 

There are already translated Roms - can't see that part being a big deal. The emulators are already QoL improvements with save states. 



You mean the fan translations? They can’t use them, they’ll need to have paid someone to do an official one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Nintendo Power poster makes me think the LE is US only. There’s no mention of it in the Nintendo UK Twitter account. If anyone wants to play a slightly better looking version the game was ported to the DS as Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Will shortly* be getting my own Switch.

 

Is there a consensus on what's the best case for it? Full-size, not Lite. Would probably prefer something relatively unobtrusive that doesn't immediately scream "there is a £300 game console inside me". 

 

Obviously there's about a million generic ones on eBay or Amazon and I could just punt a tenner on one and it'd probably be fine - but if there are any that are head and shoulders above the pack, I'd like to know :)

 

 

 

* It's in the house already but it's not my birthday yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beenabadbunny said:

Will shortly* be getting my own Switch.

 

Is there a consensus on what's the best case for it? Full-size, not Lite. Would probably prefer something relatively unobtrusive that doesn't immediately scream "there is a £300 game console inside me". 

 

Obviously there's about a million generic ones on eBay or Amazon and I could just punt a tenner on one and it'd probably be fine - but if there are any that are head and shoulders above the pack, I'd like to know :)

 

 

 

* It's in the house already but it's not my birthday yet.

I recommend the Hori Switch Tough Case, if it’s still generally available. Well-built and a good fit for the machine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Never played Fire Emblem. It looks absolutely crap in that video. 

That one is 30 years old, more recent games are really good. 

 

I played a fan translation of this one a while ago, it's nothing special and is incredibly dated. I don't know why anyone would buy it beyond 'Nintendo shiny thing'. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I recommend the Hori Switch Tough Case, if it’s still generally available. Well-built and a good fit for the machine.

A thousand times this! I've had the tough case version for OG and Lite and it is brilliant as storage or packed in a rucksack

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, deerokus said:

That one is 30 years old, more recent games are really good. 

 

I played a fan translation of this one a while ago, it's nothing special and is incredibly dated. I don't know why anyone would buy it beyond 'Nintendo shiny thing'. 

 

I've been meaning to play the pre GBA Fire Emblem's for years since Fire Emblem is one of my favourite series' and I make an effort to buy stuff available commercially where possible even if I end up playing the game on emulator / flash cart.

 

I like getting a sense of how franchises develop over time and I like NES games in general. How they look and sound, how the hardware is being used. Where the developers have focused their attention given the limited options they had. I played through Fire Emblem Echoes a few years back and it's one of my favourite games in the franchise, so at some point I'd like to sit down with Fire Emblem Gaiden too. See what was in the original game, what was missing. From Awakenings onwards Intelligent Systems have been breaking down what Fire Emblem is as a set of mechanics and rules, and figuring out where to go with it in the future. I'm working through FE:Fates right now so it's an interesting time to look at where it all started.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ryodi said:

The Nintendo Power poster makes me think the LE is US only. There’s no mention of it in the Nintendo UK Twitter account. If anyone wants to play a slightly better looking version the game was ported to the DS as Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon.

 

The DS version is also on the Wii U eShop

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/10/2020 at 22:12, Vorgot said:

Finally got a Switch and loving it, but the joycons are too small for my hands to split them for 2 player Mario Kart. I got one of the 8bitdo adapters for my Dualshock, and though it seems to be pair, it won't respond to any inputs on the Switch. LED on the dongle is solid though, and the light is blue on the DS4. Tried with 2 controllers. I've emailed the support team, but wondered if anyone else had something similar and could offer advice. Have updated the adapter to the latest firmware and switched on the WIred Pro setting on the Switch.

 

Just in case you didn't get this sorted already, the dongle has several 'modes' (which aren't well explained) so that it can work on multiple devices. To switch it to Switch mode, you have to hold the Share and L1 buttons on the paired PS4 controller for three seconds. Or the equivalent buttons (Select + L1, Back + LB) on other controllers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

 

Just in case you didn't get this sorted already, the dongle has several 'modes' (which aren't well explained) so that it can work on multiple devices. To switch it to Switch mode, you have to hold the Share and L1 buttons on the paired PS4 controller for three seconds. Or the equivalent buttons (Select + L1, Back + LB) on other controllers.

Thanks. 8bitdo support asked me to try this and it worked for about 3 minutes before it refused to do anything. I’ve send it back as faulty, might try another or might grab a wired pad. It’s literally just for Mario Kart when there are three of us

Link to post
Share on other sites

My joycons are starting to drift rather a lot, think it's time to do something about it. A few questions for the hive mind:

  • Are Nintendo doing free repairs for this issue in the UK? They're about 3 years old.
  • If not, what's the repair cost?
  • Short of replacing parts, what's the best home maintenance technique, and is it really a fix or just a sticking plaster?

Trying to play Xenoblade 2, and any slight movement on the stick cancels your auto attack, which is driving me nuts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

My joycons are starting to drift rather a lot, think it's time to do something about it. A few questions for the hive mind:

  • Are Nintendo doing free repairs for this issue in the UK? They're about 3 years old.
  • If not, what's the repair cost?
  • Short of replacing parts, what's the best home maintenance technique, and is it really a fix or just a sticking plaster?

 

I got my daughter’s left joycon repaired for free, it’s around 18months old. Definitely worth checking with Nintendo!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordered a Switch for my kids' Christmas present yesterday.  They have NO IDEA they're getting one.  Less than 24 hours later, it's arrived.  How the hell am I going to cope with it being in a box in my cupboard for 2 months??!  Don't know what I'm looking forward to more - their surprise when they open it, or me getting to 'test it out' for them.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Ordered a Switch for my kids' Christmas present yesterday.  They have NO IDEA they're getting one.  Less than 24 hours later, it's arrived.  How the hell am I going to cope with it being in a box in my cupboard for 2 months??!  Don't know what I'm looking forward to more - their surprise when they open it, or me getting to 'test it out' for them.

 

 

 

It's almost always best to get it out and power it on to make sure it's not doa... and do any upgrades ready for XMAS morning... and try out Mario/Zelda :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Danster said:

 

It's almost always best to get it out and power it on to make sure it's not doa... and do any upgrades ready for XMAS morning... and try out Mario/Zelda :)

 

 

"Dad - why is there a Zelda game file that says 50 hours + on it......?"

Link to post
Share on other sites

I sent my son's Switch to Nintendo repairs* last Wednesday. Should I be worried that I have heard absolutely nothing back at all?

 

I didn't expect a super quick turnaround, more like a "We have this here now"

 

* It had stopped charging at all, tried it in 2 docks and one standalone power supply, just dead.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.