Nintendo Switch

21 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Are any of the Resident Evil games on switch worth a go? I've got RE4 obviously but never played any of the others that are on the eshop...

16 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

This is a very broad answered question depending on who you ask. My short answer is probably not. The remake of 1 and Zero are clunky as fuck, and 5 and 6 are bad/cheeseball fun depending who you ask.

I may be less discerning than others, but REmake is still the same brilliant game it always was, but with some abysmal loading times on Switch. 

The only mainline Resident Evil game I’ve actively disliked was 6. 

13 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Hmm REmake I've never played.. what about RE0?

Mate, if you’re definitely in the market for a Resident Evil game, and you haven’t played it before, get REmake 1.  It’s fucking Halloween and everything. You’re prospectively the luckiest boy on the forum if you do that today.

17 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

This is a very broad answered question depending on who you ask. My short answer is probably not. The remake of 1 and Zero are clunky as fuck, and 5 and 6 are bad/cheeseball fun depending who you ask.

That's why I went with this caveat when I posted :p

Does the Switch version not allow you to change from the old tank controls (admittedly clunky for sure) to more modern controls? My lockdown REplay (:hat: ) was on PS4, where that was indeed an option, and one that I couldn’t REfuse (:hat:)

A friend of mine bailed on the Switch version because he couldn’t get on with the old controls, but he’s also got the attention span of a gnat when it comes to games and probably lacks the wherewithal or motivation to even look at, far less tinker with any of the settings whatsoever.

11 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Does the Switch version not allow you to change from the old tank controls (admittedly clunky for sure) to more modern controls? My lockdown REplay (:hat: ) was on PS4, where that was indeed an option, and one that I couldn’t REfuse (:hat:)

A friend of mine bailed on the Switch version because he couldn’t get on with the old controls, but he’s also got the attention span of a gnat when it comes to games and probably lacks the wherewithal or motivation to even look at, far less tinker with any of the settings whatsoever.

Just for you I'll go back to the REmake and have a look and REassess if need be.

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

Mate, if you’re definitely in the market for a Resident Evil game, and you haven’t played it before, get REmake 1.  It’s fucking Halloween and everything. You’re prospectively the luckiest boy on the forum if you do that today.

Aye good call.

2 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

This might be sacrilegious but I have never played all the way through RE1... I have it on my Retroid Pocket 2...

Should I do that then REmake? Would this make me the luckiest boy on the forum X2 if I do that?

I did watch the first RE movie again yesterday so I'm due some good luck. 

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

This might be sacrilegious but I have never played all the way through RE1... I have it on my Retroid Pocket 2...

Should I do that then REmake? Would this make me the luckiest boy on the forum X2 if I do that?

I did watch the first RE movie again yesterday so I'm due some good luck. 

I’d say you could skip the OG version and go strait to remake.

......um REspect.

On 03/08/2019 at 16:30, TehStu said:

This is well worth a read, for anyone considering third party docks or power supplies 

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/08/heres-why-nintendo-switch-consoles-keep-frying/

I didn't realize Nintendo didn't quite follow the USB-C spec to allow the Switch to more easily glide out of the dock. 

I couldn't find a definitive answer but I found the relevant information from last year^ about why third party ones used to be bad, so I reckon if you look here

https://www.imore.com/these-third-party-docks-wont-brick-your-nintendo-switch

and here

https://gamerant.com/nintendo-best-third-party-switch-docks/

you could probably find them on ebay or Amazon.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I wasn't aware of the issue. In the end I've plumped for a second hand official dock from CeX for £65, as it includes the power supply and therefore isn't much more expensive, as my daughter would be sad if I bricked her switch.

It’s going to be hard to return to normal games after the audacious abstraction / gaming-as-gaming and torrent of ideas in Odyssey. I realise this is what I had been missing and a good Mario game always brings; something that controls well, is beautiful and polished and has some kind of coherency in building a “world” - but also doesn’t take itself too seriously and knows it is a game, so it can chuck all kinds of imaginative mechanisms at you that defy real world logic for the sole sake of keeping gaming as fun as possible. No awkward in-between place I find some games operating in...

Sorry if the above sounds obvious, but it was my teen foster son who revealed it: he was watching me playing, and seriously asking: “Why does your hat talk? Why does that boat fly? Why has the game gone 2D? And how and why has Mario become a zip?” What I took or we would take for granted, he, raised on PlayStation / Microsoft stuff, found totally absurd. He thought the game was an acid trip. (There’s more to this obviously, like personality and taste...but it was interesting nonetheless seeing a younger generation react to Mario.)

The music and sound design in this game needs a special mention too. It’s definitely some of the best I have ever heard.

My only problem with Odyssey is that it’s still too easy (just weeks into owning it and a Switch!) - but I was expecting that after the two Galaxy games, which I also loved but found too easy. Otherwise - sort of a masterpiece, and worth getting a Switch for!

I know I usually go on about the docks yet again but I agree the Genki dock is great and really useful as a travel companion. Since the last time I sold off my Skull & Co. Jumpgate dock as for some reason it stopped docking and went for an official dock. I then decided to buy one of those aftermarket shells to make the official dock smaller which worked out well. I like it uses HDMI-CEC to auto-switch over which I notice most of the other docks don't seem to incorporate for some reason.

4 minutes ago, Spiceymike said:

I know I usually go on about the docks yet again but I agree the Genki dock is great and really useful as a travel companion. Since the last time I sold off my Skull & Co. Jumpgate dock as for some reason it stopped docking and went for an official dock. I then decided to buy one of those aftermarket shells to make the official dock smaller which worked out well. I like it uses HDMI-CEC to auto-switch over which I notice most of the other docks don't seem to incorporate for some reason.

Which one did you use and are they easy to fit if you're a bit cack handed?

3 hours ago, Gloomy Andy said:

Which one did you use and are they easy to fit if you're a bit cack handed?

It was this one which has typically sold out now:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07F7S54DY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was very straight forward to do, it came with instructions with very small images though. They also link to Youtube videos so I would recommend checking out a few. I wanted one that would make use of the dock's LED light and most of the USB-C port parts.

Hmm, we don’t have a straight Nintendo thread do we? I’ll ask this here.

With the release of the game and watch handheld coming up I realised that I’d placed my order on Nintendo’s site with a credit card which has now changed, bank forced a change from visa to mastercard for some reason.

Does anyone know if it is an easy procedure to change the card payment details for a pre order or am I going to go through several levels of hell to do so?

9 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

Hmm, we don’t have a straight Nintendo thread do we? I’ll ask this here.

With the release of the game and watch handheld coming up I realised that I’d placed my order on Nintendo’s site with a credit card which has now changed, bank forced a change from visa to mastercard for some reason.

Does anyone know if it is an easy procedure to change the card payment details for a pre order or am I going to go through several levels of hell to do so?

Think you're going to have to contact them, I had a quick squint on my order page and there's no way to change the payment that I can find.