Nintendo Switch

22 minutes ago, Gotters said:

It's an odd one isn't it for many people, I always think 'ooh G&G that's good' then the second I play it again (the proper SNES version I'm talking about) I instantly recall how bastard hard and stupid the double jump is, and how slow the controls are to respond, and never play it again til the next time it gets mentioned and I think 'ooh G&G that's good' ........

I was really excited when I saw the new Ghosts and Goblins as it always gives the old nostalgia gland a tickle, summer holidays at Devon Cliffs spending all my money trying to get past the first boss. The trailer however seemed to make it look just as hard with no concessions to the modern gamer. Looked lovely though.

Yeah, the GnG games are still a lot of fun. If you're struggling with the majority of them I recommend giving some version of Ghouls/Daimakaimura another go, since that's a fair bit easier than the rest and features upward aiming, giving it more of a run-'n'-gun feel, which you may be more comfortable with.

I think this new one looks really promising. The art style and animations are clearly drawing inspiration from illuminated manuscripts and psalters, which I really like, and hearteningly (though there are a lot of reused bosses here) it doesn't seem to be a remake of anything. I'm less keen on the twee rendition of the main theme (taking a cue from the PSP one), but still. New GnG!

12 hours ago, Gotters said:

It's an odd one isn't it for many people, I always think 'ooh G&G that's good' then the second I play it again (the proper SNES version I'm talking about) I instantly recall how bastard hard and stupid the double jump is, and how slow the controls are to respond, and never play it again til the next time it gets mentioned and I think 'ooh G&G that's good' ........

Hehe, same here.

HOWEVER! I did 1cc the MegaDrive Ghouls 'n Ghosts back in the day. Yeah that's right; completing the game twice (incl. beating the real final boss) on one credit. Probably as hard as a no-death Sekiro run. Never played any GnG ever again after that, despite briefly trying both Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts and Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins. They really are harder than a coffin's nail.

13 hours ago, Gotters said:

Capcom Arcade Stadium looks interesting, 32 games initially to buy in packs, so pricing will be key here

Start off with a free copy of 1943 - The Battle of Midway - and add to your collection with the Ghosts 'n Goblins stand-alone add-on, or with any of the three game packs! Each game bundle contains 10 classic games dedicated to an era of arcade goodness, from ‘80s classics like BIONIC COMMANDO to iconic ‘90s games like SUPER STREET FIGHTER II TURBO and more. You can purchase each separately, or buy all three packs and the Ghosts ‘n Goblins stand-alone add-on at once with the all-in bundle!

Titles in the packs available here https://www.capcom-arcade-stadium.com/us/

25th Feb next year

Oh man, I didn't realize this collection will include hidden gems like Cyber Bots, Battle Circuit and Giga Wing !!

On 11/12/2020 at 09:14, Fletch said:

I was really excited when I saw the new Ghosts and Goblins as it always gives the old nostalgia gland a tickle, summer holidays at Devon Cliffs spending all my money trying to get past the first boss. The trailer however seemed to make it look just as hard with no concessions to the modern gamer. Looked lovely though.

Slightly off topic but I spent many summers in that arcade as it was my parents destination of choice for the yearly holiday. Two weeks of walking up & down that steep slope to the beach, wading through the seaweed that was always at the beach shoreline, and playing 720, Temple of Doom & sit down Star Wars every night (there were others but they were my main three), great days!

Anyway, back on topic, I like the style of the new game but I know I will never, ever see much past the first level as I am awful at GnG games.  Don’t know why, just can’t remember the patterns and routes through the levels so it just gets frustrating.

Does anyone have any lines on a cheap price for Kirby Star Allies? Digital or physical? Cheapest I've seen is £39.99. Amazon don't have any in stock but shopto do.

Daughter has developed a taste for it after playing the demo. Means Santa may need to pass Yoshis Crafted World onto parents to hide until birthday time.

On 11/12/2020 at 09:32, Dudley said:

I'm bobbins at games and I enjoy it.  But I've never come close to getting off level 1.

That's almost an appeal to be fair, I can take a punt in very little time, like a proper arcade game.

I'm always surprised when I get past level 1 and die almost straight away.

15 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Does anyone have any lines on a cheap price for Kirby Star Allies? Digital or physical? Cheapest I've seen is £39.99. Amazon don't have any in stock but shopto do.

Daughter has developed a taste for it after playing the demo. Means Santa may need to pass Yoshis Crafted World onto parents to hide until birthday time.

I do not have a lead on a cheap one, but I can say it's a wonderful game. I've been playing through it with my 8 y/o daughter over the last few months. We just have the final level to clear of the main game. I think it's the best of the optional-player-two games out there in terms of rarely having sections where P1 has to take full control, or other players get left behind.

It's ridiculously easy (I think we've accumulated 120+ lives), but continually and delightfully inventive.

On 11/12/2020 at 09:14, Fletch said:

I'm still hoping they've implemented the mechanics they added to the criminally underated Ultimate Ghouls and Ghosts. Restart at point of death, 10+ lives per continue, lots of opportunities for regaining armour, lots of cool upgrades including triple jump and flying shields, fast warp etc. If so then I'll be happy. If it's just like the arcade/NES/SNES then I'll wait until someone hacks in an unofficial yet reasonable difficulty level.

4 hours ago, scottcr said:

Got Doom Eternal - holy fuck those guys at Panic Station have some otherworldly powers. There’s is no way this should run and play as well as it does. It’s an amazing technical achievement.

I did cave in and buy this . Once you get used to graphics it's great. Not a hitch when things get busy.

I have all the Doom's on a handheld. Who would have thought this was possible when Doom 3 came out all those years ago.

39 minutes ago, Yuujiin said:

I did cave in and buy this . Once you get used to graphics it's great. Not a hitch when things get busy.

I have all the Doom's on a handheld. Who would have thought this was possible when Doom 3 came out all those years ago.

Yeap - likewise, Doom 1, 2, 64, 3, 2016 and Eternal all on the Switch.  What a time to be alive.