Nintendo Switch

Apart from on a selection of games where you're boned.  Notably Pokemon and Animal Crossing. (Although AC has some weird "It actually does save to the cloud but you have to beg Nintendo to use it" thing).

There's a special app on the Switch eShop required for transferring Animal Crossing data from one Switch to another. It's a bit like the 3DS system transfer, if any of you have (bad) memories of that. <_<

(Splatoon 2 is another game that also doesn't back-up save games to the Cloud, and there's almost certainly a few more that don't.)

7 hours ago, scottcr said:

I've just been playing it on easy to get my head around the scoring.  I must admit, I'm not sure who to rack up chains

By not playing on Easy

“Psycho” in the title is most likely a botched transliteration of “Psychic”; a common trope with Japanese games titles of the era.

TBH, I’ve got a fairly decent Super Famicom games collection, but I’ve only heard of Psycho Dream because SNES Drunk covered it last summer. Quite an obscure choice.

I’m resigned to Nintendo having already released all of their big titles for the NES and Super NES services that they’re ever likely to, FWIW. A mix of popular classics and obscurities seems to have given away to just to releasing only less-well-known content.

On 08/02/2021 at 17:44, Strafe said:

Nor Splatoon 2 I think.

Yeah, now I have purchased every weapon and 99% of the gear, losing all of that might be a pain.

Plus re-doing those first ten levels to unlock all modes...

My daughter wants to purchase a Switch for her hubbies birthday and is looking for me to make the purchase preferably immaculate second hand. I’m not clued up on the Switch so any model worth avoiding and anything worth looking for. 

Also, I’m a bit bored of the Xbox right now. Got fed up of what’s over there and nothing really tickles my fancy until April.

I sat down at 8:30 with the switch for the first time in months. Just lost the entire evening to Pokemon Let’s Go Pikachu.

Homeschooling my 8 year old this week, it's clear that so many of his classmates have Switches. At registration this morning, they were asked what they were up to during half term, and loads of answers included the likes of Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion 3. As soon as school is over, he's in Team calls with his little friends to organise online games. It's definitely the console of choice for his age group! Nintendo getting them young! Also fun to see a couple of dads who play... one of them was insanely good at Mario Kart.

On 12/02/2021 at 09:15, Eighthours said:

Homeschooling my 8 year old this week, it's clear that so many of his classmates have Switches. At registration this morning, they were asked what they were up to during half time, and loads of answers included the likes of Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion 3. As soon as school is over, he's in Team calls with his little friends to organise online games. It's definitely the console of choice for his age group! Nintendo getting them young! Also fun to see a couple of dads who play... one of them was insanely good at Mario Kart.

Hide and seek has become very popular in Animal Crossing between my daughter, her friends & her cousins - and just generally playing and chatting as they would normally but transported into the game. 

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Hide and seek has become very popular in Animal Crossing between my daughter, her friends & her cousins - and just generally playing and chatting as they would normally but transported into the game. 

Yep, they did that too. I’m jealous of children having access to so much cool tech!

It’s funny how despite being demonstrably the poorer online service Nintendo have the killer app in AC which makes their subscription nigh on essential, it’s a much lesser game offline - I don’t know how many subscribers they have but there must be an awful lot just off the back of that one game. 

46 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Are third part docks still a risk of bricking your switch? I really want a second dock for the upstairs tv. But the official is sooooo expensive. 

The very early dock with the shitty power regulator is long gone, your only worry now is “drop-in” docks. They need to have a loose USB plug to let the Switch drop in. and some third party ones are so loose the connections can short out. Anything where you’re connecting the Switch to the dock via a USB cable should be fine.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

It’s funny how despite being demonstrably the poorer online service Nintendo have the killer app in AC which makes their subscription nigh on essential, it’s a much lesser game offline - I don’t know how many subscribers they have but there must be an awful lot just off the back of that one game. 

We have family membership purely because of AC. I originally just had one online account for me.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

AC is pretty much useless without online?

I know during lockdown 1.0 all of my friends bought it and they all had online. One friend bought the family sub and gave a few of us free access.

9 minutes ago, probotector said:

I know during lockdown 1.0 all of my friends bought it and they all had online. One friend bought the family sub and gave a few of us free access.

It’s people like this preventing Nintendo from having the money to develop a new F-Zero game.

33 minutes ago, probotector said:

Sorry, what are you trying to say?