Nintendo Switch

I wish I had read this first!  Ordered the magnets and then saw the Pikmin coasters so thought I'd get them too.  Couldn't put both through the same checkout, got charged £6.25 delivery for both my 'free' items.  I'm a sucker.

This question has probably been asked a lot (apologies!) but could someone give me a quick rundown of how to purchase titles on the Russian shop? The last time I did it was for Sonic Mania and I seem to remember it was fairly painless? 

51 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Makes you look like a grown-up.

I didn't really like the colours available when I bought mine. Most annoying thing is lack of a dedicated D pad single left joycon.

15 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

I didn't really like the colours available when I bought mine. Most annoying thing is lack of a dedicated D pad single left joycon.

I bought the grey because I didn't like the red and blue. I now also have the pink and green Splatoon ones.

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

It looks a bit janky to me, certainly not as pretty as BotW 

Early days though. It's probably got over a year and a half before it's out.

2 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Early days though. It's probably got over a year and a half before it's out.

Fair.

The video looks more like a sword/shield game to me than a BotW style game. As much as I’d like to, I’ve tried and failed to get into pokemon twice now so I’m out for now.

Grey joycons are the new black Gamecube.

Speaking of joycons, I just replaced the left stick in both my sets (Blue/Red and Green/Pink) using the ones from Amazon that @Beezer recommended. Seems to have worked well, and wasn't too fiddly. I bought the official iFixit Toolkit (plus an extra Y000 tri-wing), which is a bit of a luxury but was very reassuring as it let me copy the guide exactly and be confident I wasn't going to break anything. Other than re-fitting the tiny ribbon cable for the shoulder button, it's a breeze really. I might buy another two sets and squirrel them away for the future.

28 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Grey joycons are the new black Gamecube.

Speaking of joycons, I just replaced the left stick in both my sets (Blue/Red and Green/Pink) using the ones from Amazon that @Beezer recommended. Seems to have worked well, and wasn't too fiddly. I bought the official iFixit Toolkit (plus an extra Y000 tri-wing), which is a bit of a luxury but was very reassuring as it let me copy the guide exactly and be confident I wasn't going to break anything. Other than re-fitting the tiny ribbon cable for the shoulder button, it's a breeze really. I might buy another two sets and squirrel them away for the future.

If they're not needed in a urry, Aliexpress them, much, MUCH cheaper ;)

On 26/02/2021 at 09:45, Chooch said:

I wish I had read this first!  Ordered the magnets and then saw the Pikmin coasters so thought I'd get them too.  Couldn't put both through the same checkout, got charged £6.25 delivery for both my 'free' items.  I'm a sucker.

Pikmin costers you say....

Got a V2 "improved battery" grey Switch on the way. If anyone can help me get sorted with an SX Core, I'd appreciate a DM.

Someone from the TX Discord has offered to put me in touch with someone who can sell me one for £150, and then he'll solder it for me, but not sure how trustworthy they are.

If we get a second Switch and I'm logged into that second console, can anyone on that console play my digital purchases? I appreciate we probably can't play the same game on both consoles at the same time.

Also, is it easy to switch back and forth consoles, like an Xbox? IIRC, certain games don't, like Pokémon? But I'd probably move my Sword game to the new one so I can raid with my kids who play Sword, on the other.

Edit - ah, looks like you can, as long as it's not the same nintendo account trying to play the digital game on both consoles :

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47524/~/how-to-play-your-games-across-multiple-systems

Which is fine, because we've all got accounts to do the family online sub. Sweet.

1 hour ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Got a V2 "improved battery" grey Switch on the way. If anyone can help me get sorted with an SX Core, I'd appreciate a DM.

Someone from the TX Discord has offered to put me in touch with someone who can sell me one for £150, and then he'll solder it for me, but not sure how trustworthy they are.

I'll sell you a a V1 tablet that's hackable for £150 instead of risking an SX Core install, you can have one for online and one for offline then, same dock and Joycon, but different tabs for different jobs.

7 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

I'll sell you a a V1 tablet that's hackable for £150 instead of risking an SX Core install, you can have one for online and one for offline then, same dock and Joycon, but different tabs for different jobs.

I appreciate the offer but I can't justify having two consoles. 

45 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

I appreciate the offer but I can't justify having two consoles. 

You can haggle :p It's almost expected :)

But yeah, I understand... I think I have about 6 or more of them, I can't justify having that many :lol:

Well.

For anyone who doesn't want to visit Bloomberg (and who would?) they're reporting that:

Nintendo Co. plans to unveil a model of its Switch gaming console equipped with a bigger Samsung OLED display this year

Samsung Display Co. will start mass production of 7-inch, 720p-resolution OLED panels as early as June with an initial monthly target of just under a million units, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing internal matters. The displays are slated for shipment to assemblers around July

The latest model will also come with 4K ultra-high definition graphics when paired with TVs

The new display’s resolution mirrors the current Switch and Switch Lite but is an upgrade from the Switch’s 6.2-inch and Lite’s 5.5-inch size

Not sure I see a benefit in a larger screen with the resolution staying the same (jaggies, jaggies everywhere!), but a move to OLED would be nice. Enabling 4k output when docked sounds a bit of an ask for the majority of games, unless there are changes under the cover.

This could all be rubbish, of course.

Unless they've added some magic to scale the image without penalty, to save your TV doing it, then this is pointless. Our ANCH island is choppy as hell.

I would assume they mean actually rendering out 4K graphics.

A 7-inch screen is apparently a pretty exact fit for the existing Switch chassis if you just reduce the bezels:

image.thumb.png.7144ce725be8ab0080fb47742dd58897.png