Nintendo Switch

Yes, the D-pad on the pro controller is terrible.

The four D buttons on the Joycon are genuinely superior, that’s how bad it is.

Well, to be fair, having four separate and independent direction buttons is better than any d-pad for some games. The Pro Controller could have the Vita d-pad* and it still wouldn’t be as good for Tetris and Pac-man.

*Four microswitches under a once piece rocker. It’s beautiful.

I successfully replaced the stick in my left joy con and am feeling rather pleased with myself. 

After opening it up I discovered that the reason the left dpad button doesn’t work is due to damage on the main board itself, but fortunately I was able to find a replacement one of those on Amazon and am planning a second round of surgery later in the week. 

It has meant spending more than what Nintendo wanted, solely because of needing to buy the tools, but I feel all the thriftier for knowing that the money didn’t go to those robbing swine at Nintendo repairs who, I’m sure you’re all aware, wanted more on parts and labour than the joy con was worth when bought new. 

19 hours ago, AlexM said:

I haven’t heard of third party shells for original components, do you have a link?

Sorry meant to reply to this. I haven't done it myself but lots of people in here have. Does anyone have a link to the kits to mod the JoyCons?

People having issues with the d-pad on the Pro controller... have you tried updating the controller? Might explain why it doesn’t affect everyone.

Either that or we hold it properly and you don’t ;)

3 minutes ago, deKay said:

People having issues with the d-pad on the Pro controller... have you tried updating the controller? Might explain why it doesn’t affect everyone.

Either that or we hold it properly and you don’t ;)

Don't you bring my cackhanded chimpery into this. I'm well aware of my uselessness and I know when said uselessness is being exacerbated by a shitty dpad :quote:

22 hours ago, ZOK said:

Yes, the D-pad on the pro controller is terrible.

The four D buttons on the Joycon are genuinely superior, that’s how bad it is.

If the problem is sensitivity of the inputs (e.g., pressing left and getting up), it can be fixed pretty easily. I did it a couple of years ago and have had no issues at all:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Fix+D-Pad+Sensitivity/124493

On 11/04/2021 at 12:59, mdn2 said:

Have a look at Good Job. It's on sale at the minute and I preferred it to Stretchers.

Or if you're after more co-op push/pulling, try Moving Out. 

Going to give Good Job a go.  Trying to talk her into RetroMania with little success. :D 

21 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Seems a bit extreme. I’m sure they’ll find something to play.

:sealclap:

13 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I think Good Job fell of sale last night :(

It's getting a trial version on the JPN eshop and a few days of play might be enough for some. I bought it as an Easter holiday game - my daughter and I loved it and finished it within a week. 

22 hours ago, Hylian said:

If the problem is sensitivity of the inputs (e.g., pressing left and getting up), it can be fixed pretty easily. I did it a couple of years ago and have had no issues at all:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Fix+D-Pad+Sensitivity/124493

Sounds like the time Angel (who?) was persuading people to remove the rubber from the sixaxis sticks with a knife to improve the grip. 

It did not improve the grip. 

19 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Sounds like the time Angel (who?) was persuading people to remove the rubber from the sixaxis sticks with a knife to improve the grip. 

It did not improve the grip. 

Not sure about that, but it changed my pro controller from being utterly useless to functioning perfectly. It's a terrible design flaw but easily fixed. 

6 minutes ago, Hylian said:

Not sure about that, but it changed my pro controller from being utterly useless to functioning perfectly. It's a terrible design flaw but easily fixed. 

I don't really doubt that the fix works. I mainly wanted to make a joke about Angel's "excellent" advice. 

Latest news is seems to be something going on between MS and Nintendo. A lot of speculation that Game Pass is coming to the switch (either with the switch pro or a cloud service).

There were rumours about this last E3 so it's possible it's been in the works for a while?

Also sounds like Master Chief could be coming to Smash (again, rumoured)

23 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Latest news is seems to be something going on between MS and Nintendo. A lot of speculation that Game Pass is coming to the switch (either with the switch pro or a cloud service).

There were rumours about this last E3 so it's possible it's been in the works for a while?

Also sounds like Master Chief could be coming to Smash (again, rumoured)

Gamepass on the Switch sounds like it'd be great for Microsoft but I'm not sure what the big benefit is for Nintendo. My own dumb prediction in the Xbox thread of being able to buy Xcloud games through the Eshop at least offers a benefit to both companies. 

41 minutes ago, bear said:

Gamepass on the Switch sounds like it'd be great for Microsoft but I'm not sure what the big benefit is for Nintendo. My own dumb prediction in the Xbox thread of being able to buy Xcloud games through the Eshop at least offers a benefit to both companies. 

Yeah. Have to be some kind of revenue sharing model. Perhaps Nintendo adding their back catalog to the service, and the combined service availible on both consoles. 

MS whole move into cloud gaming with android etc. could easily be extended to Switch for the technically demanding games.

1 hour ago, McCoy said:

Yeah. Have to be some kind of revenue sharing model. Perhaps Nintendo adding their back catalog to the service, and the combined service availible on both consoles. 

MS whole move into cloud gaming with android etc. could easily be extended to Switch for the technically demanding games.

Yeah that would work actually, basically add Nintendo Switch Online games to the Xbox Game Pass library and offer it across both platforms. 

Doom or Doom eternal? From the nintendolife reviews seems doom eternal has a more solid frame rate but worse resolution fluctuation. Can't tell what the differences in multiplayer are if any.  Am looking to purchase as my boys are spending too much time on PC gaming which I can't easily restrict without physically removing stuff such as power leads in contrast the switch I can restrict with parental controls, as their PC gaming involves a fair amount of FPS looking to add one to the existing switch library for them. 

1 minute ago, mwaawm said:

Doom or Doom eternal? From the nintendolife reviews seems doom eternal has a more solid frame rate but worse resolution fluctuation. Can't tell what the differences in multiplayer are if any.  Am looking to purchase as my boys are spending too much time on PC gaming which I can't easily restrict without physically removing stuff such as power leads in contrast the switch I can restrict with parental controls, as their PC gaming involves a fair amount of FPS looking to add one to the existing switch library for them. 

Doom and Doom Eternal play very differently. I'd say Doom personally from that perspective but I can't say how it runs, sorry.

49 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah that would work actually, basically add Nintendo Switch Online games to the Xbox Game Pass library and offer it across both platforms. 

Can I buy some weed off you guys?

2 hours ago, bear said:

Gamepass on the Switch sounds like it'd be great for Microsoft but I'm not sure what the big benefit is for Nintendo. 

A whole library of "dudebro" games on their system they wouldn't otherwise get, the Switch is likely to really cease to get even the modicum of "AAA" 3rd party support it's ever had now the source machine is going to be a generation further down the road. Even the last few have been prohibitively priced "Cloud" versions that need work to achieve.  Getting them all "free" from MS would be super useful.

MS benefit from the game pass revenue and if you're playing xbox and 3rd party on Switch you're not playing it on PS, the competitor they care about.  They're fairly explicit at saying they don't care what you're playing xbox games on.

There is no way Nintendo games will appear on a non-Nintendo system.