IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

It took a while to arrive as the release seemed to be delayed in the UK, but my Classic 8BitDo Pro 2 arrived today, and it's a beauty:

image.thumb.png.efbda094ec283d4bcd15ae9a9149ee94.png

I'm not sure if it'll replace my Pro controller, but it's certainly a nice thing to have.

11 hours ago, the_debaser said:

I’d love a good 2D DK game, hasn’t been one since the snes days. 

There hasn’t been one since the Game Boy one.

12 hours ago, the_debaser said:

I’d love a good 2D DK game, hasn’t been one since the snes days. 

Huh? DK Returns was good and TF was excellent IMO.

Tropical Freeze (despite having the worst name/logo of any game ever) had the absolute best music in a Nintendo video game ever, not even exaggerating, and gameplay turned up to 11.

and even their rendition of the DK theme song is the best rendition, so layered, funky and well produced.

One of the best Nintendo games of the last generation, next to Zelda BoTW; yes I found this so much better than Mario Odyssey.

Anyway, outside of that I've played some really good 3D Donkey Kong games on Dreams (PS4) with all the excellent mechanics you'd expect.

Donkey Kong Odyssey

It makes me sad how many properties Nintendo sleeps on when they could give it to confident developers (of which there are MANY) who could make a great 3D DK or Yoshi game. I really want a 3D DK, Yoshi and Kirby game and think we're overdue by generations but hey.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

It's a funny notion that people are bored of a certain franchise, like there's a fucking abundance of games in said franchise that are released yearly or some shit.

Well yeah but it's also a funny notion that it's invalid to rather have another 3d Mario than another 2d donkey kong.

And that is the choice because that's the team doing it.

Imagine getting to the top of your game, absolutely dominating development with your innovative ideas, releasing Mario Odyssey and suddenly you’re locked in to only making 3D Mario sequels for the rest of your natural life.

19 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Well yeah but it's also a funny notion that it's invalid to rather have another 3d Mario than another 2d donkey kong.

And that is the choice because that's the team doing it.

But it's not like we aren't getting an Odyssey 2 BECAUSE of this. It's not an invalid concern, but it is a genuine one :/

Also it's not like Nintendo are known for chucking out direct sequels to things and in short order.

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

It's a funny notion that people are bored of a certain franchise, like there's a fucking abundance of games in said franchise that are released yearly or some shit.

True but there is an abundance of 2D platformer games when it comes to Nintendo consoles. 

Not saying it won't be a great game. But i must admit whilst i enjoyed DK Returns, Tropical Freeze was starting to wear a bit thin. And the past few 2D Mario games besides SMM are just bland (and i am a big Mario fan!!).

Maybe if DK used the 3d world engine i wouldn't have so much an issue.

When I hear "Mario Odyssey developers are making a Donkey Kong game", my assumption is "Mario Odyssey-grade talent makes a Donkey Kong game" not "Mario Odyssey team forget everything they know and make a tired update to Retro Studios' games for some reason".

1 hour ago, Barnard said:

If it starts out and then blooms in a similar way to Donkey Kong '94 - I'm fully onboard. 

Donkey Kong '94 25m Animated.gif

Considering it’s the 40th anniversary of the original this year, I could see them returning to the original and updating it like they did with ‘94. They could start out with the game using the DK section from Odyssey and then expand it like in ‘94.

18 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

Not saying it won't be a great game. But i must admit whilst i enjoyed DK Returns, Tropical Freeze was starting to wear a bit thin. And the past few 2D Mario games besides SMM are just bland (and i am a big Mario fan!!).

Maybe if DK used the 3d world engine i wouldn't have so much an issue.

Yeah I agree with all of this but the NSMB series is hopefully dead. DED!

Tokyo EAD are probably the most consistent teams Nintendo have. 

I don’t see it being a top seller. I’d rather they make a top level SMB3/mario world quality 2D Mario game 

I must admit that I don’t think Nintendo have ever bettered SMW on the SNES. 

I absolutely loved odyssey but I find 3D platformers hard to recreate that perfect flow of running and jumping you get in 2D. 

I’m thinking back to those SML levels where you have to jump from swinging/rotating platforms in a timely way whilst the screen unavoidable scrolls you along to success or doom. Some of the most frustratingly brilliant platforming I have ever enjoyed.