IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

I did the same thing a few months back; opened, cleaned, new thermal paste and new fan unit with a liberal dousing of compressed air. Quite easy to do.

Has kept it relatively quiet now, it only flares up when the boys doing a mad Fortnite session and its been in use for a couple hours.

Didn't get a chance to try the drift fix, its my pro controller that has drift, not the joycons.

The Hori split pad arrived today and made an instant difference. Last night I was playing and came 2nd 3 times in a row, I just couldn’t get accurate shots. First game to test and won immediately and just felt more in control. Worth it for £25 and while it looks ridiculous really, maybe the proportions would suit a switch OLED 😉

B55FB549-DFEA-43DE-8D08-05EF9C3C0D2E.jpeg

23 hours ago, fattakin said:

The Hori split pad arrived today and made an instant difference. Last night I was playing and came 2nd 3 times in a row, I just couldn’t get accurate shots. First game to test and won immediately and just felt more in control. Worth it for £25 and while it looks ridiculous really, maybe the proportions would suit a switch OLED 😉

How loud are the buttons / triggers? I like to play in bed, but I'm very conscious of the clicky buttons in a quiet room! 

11 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Where did you get it for 25 banger m8? 

eBay, nearly new, best offer! Really glad I got it. 2nd game using it was a trio on fortnite with the kids and we won, I was able to get more involved and take on people confidently. 

I see a set on there for £28 best offer at the moment

I'm playing Skyward Sword but I find the Joycons to be very small and uncomfortable in my hands. Does anyone know of a third party addon that would add some size and ergonomics to them? I see plenty of grips for when using a single joy con sideways but I have yet to see any for when you are playing with both.

On 16/07/2021 at 21:53, the_debaser said:

Just finished the Ask Iwata book which was mentioned in Edge a month or so ago. 

It’s great.

If you have any interest in the man or Nintendo, or just interesting insights on life, it’s worth getting. 

just bought it on the strength of your post. no pressure tho!

On 19/07/2021 at 12:24, Mallet said:

I'm playing Skyward Sword but I find the Joycons to be very small and uncomfortable in my hands. Does anyone know of a third party addon that would add some size and ergonomics to them? I see plenty of grips for when using a single joy con sideways but I have yet to see any for when you are playing with both.

If you're playing with both, presumably detached from the console is a pro controller maybe the better solution?

On 19/07/2021 at 18:11, Myshkin said:

just bought it on the strength of your post. no pressure tho!

On 19/07/2021 at 21:04, Fargo said:

Just ordered a copy off Amazon myself 

I got it at launch and really enjoyed it, it's quite bittersweet and about half the book is just musings on life, relationships with people and how to be a better person. We really lost a real one.

On 16/07/2021 at 21:53, the_debaser said:

Just finished the Ask Iwata book which was mentioned in Edge a month or so ago. 

It’s great.

If you have any interest in the man or Nintendo, or just interesting insights on life, it’s worth getting. 

Is the hardback a nice item in itself or just go for the Kindle version? 

49 minutes ago, McCoy said:

it's nothing special other than the inside pages having the doodle of iwata patterned

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

If you're playing with both, presumably detached from the console is a pro controller maybe the better solution?

I'm using the Pro controller now, it was just I quite liked the motion controls. 

I know people love them but the joycons are terrible imo. They are just slabs of plastic with no thought given to ergonomics, I find them too small, the sticks don't have enough travel and are small plus the buttons are tiny. 

Like I said I know others like them but I find them physically painful to use for more than 15 minutes. 

2 hours ago, McCoy said:

Standard hardback, nothing special about it. There aren’t many photos or anything in it (except a couple of headshots) so you won’t lose out getting the Kindle version. 

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Anyone downloaded Pokemon Unite yet? Only done the tutorial but it's.... Pokemon the MOBA. My entire experience with MOBAs is Heroes of the Storm so it'll probably be right up my street.

Got it preinstalled waiting to go!

As soon as I’m home I’ll be all over it!

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Anyone downloaded Pokemon Unite yet? Only done the tutorial but it's.... Pokemon the MOBA. My entire experience with MOBAs is Heroes of the Storm so it'll probably be right up my street.

Installed it earlier and played the tutorials. Looks nice. Reeks of mobile monetisation, which is off-putting. 

On 21/07/2021 at 11:18, Mallet said:

I'm using the Pro controller now, it was just I quite liked the motion controls. 

I know people love them but the joycons are terrible imo. They are just slabs of plastic with no thought given to ergonomics, I find them too small, the sticks don't have enough travel and are small plus the buttons are tiny. 

Like I said I know others like them but I find them physically painful to use for more than 15 minutes. 

I have what must be Japanese-sized hands - whenever I read a review of a Japanese game controller or digital camera and they complain that the controls are too cramped for western hands, I know they'll be perfect for me.

My preferred way to play the switch used to be with bare detached joycons, no bumpers - it's great being able to sit holding each half of the controller in a natual position rather than having to hold your hands close together, which I got used to back in the Wii days. That said, more recently I find I've been using the bundled dog face grip more and have really got into it.

I haven't tried the Switch Pro Controller, but I found the Wii U one really uncomfortable. I loved the Wii Classic Controller Pro (the later one with horns), though.