Nintendo Switch

deKay

I wonder if the variable Bluetooth Audio performance might be down to the version of Bluetooth the Switch uses?  It has to be at least a few generations behind considering how often the standard is updated.

14 minutes ago, Jarik said:

I wonder if the variable Bluetooth Audio performance might be down to the version of Bluetooth the Switch uses?  It has to be at least a few generations behind considering how often the standard is updated.

Nah, there’s just enormous variability in the lag introduced by different headsets and the same headset when paired to different devices. The QC35 have relatively low lag versus Jabra earbuds, and both are worse with my generic Switch USB C Bluetooth adaptor than with my Vita or iPhone. It’s the whole reason companies invented low-latency bolt-ons to Bluetooth like aptxLL; it’s just not a system that was designed with latency in mind.

You get the same latency with movies etc. but it’s less noticeable when you’re not playing something fast paced and interactive. Not to keep banging this drum, but LG’s entire webOS TV range has never been able to keep the audio in sync with the picture on any configuration and very few people pick up on it until it’s pointed out to them.

It'll be a bit shit if the OLED Switch has the same sort of limitations. I know they've said no performance upgrades but would better Bluetooth fall under that category? 

Massive tangent, how awkward is it to have a Switch Lite and regular Switch on the same account? I'm thinking of picking up a Lite for stuff like Spelunky but only if its not a pain in the hoop moving between devices.

5 minutes ago, bear said:

It'll be a bit shit if the OLED Switch has the same sort of limitations. I know they've said no performance upgrades but would better Bluetooth fall under that category? 

Massive tangent, how awkward is it to have a Switch Lite and regular Switch on the same account? I'm thinking of picking up a Lite for stuff like Spelunky but only if its not a pain in the hoop moving between devices.

Not difficult at all, I have a Lite at home and a full fat one at work, provided you're using NSO, saves are easy to transfer across and cary on playing, I get a couple of hours per day on Tetris 99 at home, and a few games at work, progress is easy to move if it hasn't already done it automatically.

Hmm, latency is pretty damn bad with my original model Switch and first-gen AirPods. But that might well be the AirPods fault - this graph, based on testing on an iPad, makes it look like Apple have cut latency a lot with newer releases:

spacer.png

4 hours ago, McCoy said:

Hold on, everyone told us this was impossible to do due to #techissues. 

To be fair it seems pretty choppy. I had some pretty big latency sat on my couch with my Switch docked. (Sony WH1000XM4’s)

I did think this meant I didn’t need to buy a pair of PS5 Pulse ones (as the PS4 Golds worked perfectly with the Switch last gen) but looks like I might have to. 

6 hours ago, Strafe said:

No microphone support 💩 

Just the audio already means they have to drop support down to just one (pair) of joycon instead of four, I'm not certain the bandwidth could stretch any further - without crushing everything down to crappy mono etc perhaps to leave the required room for the controller inputs as well.

No one said it was impossible to have Bluetooth, just that it's inherently shit for gaming which is why Xbox and ps don't support it either and gaming headphones usually use a different method for wireless.

As is being shown by people's experiences.

36 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Just the audio already means they have to drop support down to just one (pair) of joycon instead of four, I'm not certain the bandwidth could stretch any further - without crushing everything down to crappy mono etc perhaps to leave the required room for the controller inputs as well.

Ah. I presume the Joycons still use Bluetooth even when attached, then?

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

My suggestion was that if attached joycons weren’t using Bluetooth then bandwidth would be freed up for microphone on Bluetooth headphones.

I imagine the situation Nintendo were trying to avoid was one where it only worked under specific circumstances - “You can now use your Bluetooth headphones! No, not like that… no, not like that either…” 

What they’ve come up with - support, but only with one pair of joy cons paired at the same time - is clever, because the vast majority of people (all people?) will only use headphones when playing solo. The implementation compromises the Switch’s functionality, but in a way virtually nobody will ever notice through normal use.  That’s neat. 

They’ve bypassed completely the kind of scenarios that might have caused confusion amongst players, while also making it a serviceable solution, depending on your cans - but that was always going to be outside their control. 

What they’re never going to do is offer support for the kind of scenario you’ve described in your post, because it fragments the use cases, and introduces bumps in the road that end users would notice. “Hey! I could use my mic yesterday, now I can’t anymore! Waaah!” There will always be people who get tripped up by this, and blame Nintendo for the bad user experience. 

35 minutes ago, Popo said:

I imagine the situation Nintendo were trying to avoid was one where it only worked under specific circumstances - “You can now use your Bluetooth headphones! No, not like that… no, not like that either…” 

What they’ve come up with - support, but only with one pair of joy cons paired at the same time - is clever, because the vast majority of people (all people?) will only use headphones when playing solo. The implementation compromises the Switch’s functionality, but in a way virtually nobody will ever notice through normal use.  That’s neat. 

They’ve bypassed completely the kind of scenarios that might have caused confusion amongst players, while also making it a serviceable solution, depending on your cans - but that was always going to be outside their control. 

What they’re never going to do is offer support for the kind of scenario you’ve described in your post, because it fragments the use cases, and introduces bumps in the road that end users would notice. “Hey! I could use my mic yesterday, now I can’t anymore! Waaah!” There will always be people who get tripped up by this, and blame Nintendo for the bad user experience. 

That makes sense

Hurry up OLED! Compared Spelunky Switch with the Vita OLED version and my goodness, the Vita’s colours are phenomenal. 

Also I am gutted my launch day Switch got banned. I miss big TV Switch gaming! Transferring a few hundred shiny Pokémon by local transfer is not going to be fun. 

Wouldn’t using the microphone use the SBC codec for most headphones, so the game audio would be awful quality? I remember trying this with my gaming laptop once and the quality was shite. Ended up buying a wired Arctis headset.