Jump to content

Nintendo Switch


deKay
 Share

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Stanley said:

But even if you don’t compare it to Game Pass, how about PS Now or PS Plus, Apple Arcade. 
 

Even Stadia Pro is better value for money.

 

And a perhaps small but I think  important difference with Game Pass is that you can still purchase each game outright if you choose. 
 

I might only want to play Ocarina of Time and use cloud saves but I’m being held to ransom with this second tier. 


None of those have Nintendo games though.


History, quality and nostalgia are the value proposition here. Might not be enough for you or me but they obviously think they can charge that much for it. And they’re normally proven right. The market decides the value. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sarlaccfood said:


None of those have Nintendo games though.


History, quality and nostalgia are the value proposition there. Might not be enough for you or me but they obviously think they can charge that much for it. And they’re normally proven right. The market decides the value. 

Oh yeah I get it and in that respect I am part of the problem, I will pay for it as I have since the service began - but going forward I’d like to know what their plans are when more and more systems are added to the service.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Oh yeah I get it and in that respect I am part of the problem, I will pay for it as I have since the service began - but going forward I’d like to know what their plans are when more and more systems are added to the service.


If it bombs we’ll get GBA and future first party DLC. If it’s successful we’ll get fuck all. 
 

Either way we’ll never see Gamecube games on it I reckon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, the_debaser said:

Gamepass is only cheap if you do the sneaky games for gold 3 year trick right? Otherwise it’s par for Netflix cost. We’re in a golden time for subscription prices, they will only rise. 

I pay full price for Game Pass, but that’s not really the point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sarlaccfood said:


If it bombs we’ll get GBA and future first party games DLC. If it’s successful we’ll get fuck all. 
 

Either way we’ll never see Gamecube games on it I reckon.

I’m guessing it must be doing pretty well already for them to double the price, does anyone know subs numbers for it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just want to buy the N64 games separately.

 

Also seems like wishful thinking to hope that the N64 pad would be compatible with a Bluetooth dongle for an actual N64. I'll bet there's no way it works with a memory card.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I resisted the temptation to buy the N64 pad. I bought the SNES controller and never use it because the Pro controller much more comfortable. There's also nothing that interests me in the N64 games offered until Paper Marion is released. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I resisted the temptation to buy the N64 pad. I bought the SNES controller and never use it because the Pro controller much more comfortable. There's also nothing that interests me in the N64 games offered until Paper Marion is released. 


Paper Marion sounds ace, but it’s probably not as good as Cardboard Robin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I own all the original Nintendo hardware/games and could emulate pretty much everything Nintendo if I wanted to but I'll still probably upgrade to the 'expansion pak' sub, but only grudgingly. Any more 'expansion paks' that bump up the cost further and I'll be out.

 

I think Nintendo need to tread carefully here as they are really leveraging their legacy and the goodwill that stems from that. If you look at it in terms of the core value proposition then it's dead in the water compared to GamePass. Younger gamers without the emotional attachement to Nintendo that us older suckers have will drop them much quicker....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They didn't announce anything today that'd have me rushing to upgrade my subscription. Maybe they'll add some good stuff to it over time but like that Animal Crossing DLC  but I'm not going spending money in the hope I get something. I'll just stick with the basic tier which is all I need right now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it’s not the best deal in the world but as I have no choice but to get the AC paid DLC for an obsessed wife and 2 kids over 3 separate switches buying one family subscription rather than the same thing 3 times alone makes it a bargain.

 

(and the N64 stuff a nice freebie)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Also seems like wishful thinking to hope that the N64 pad would be compatible with a Bluetooth dongle for an actual N64. I'll bet there's no way it works with a memory card.


I’m amazed they’re not hawking Rumble Paks for £24.99 to go along with the controllers. :D

 

Missed my chance to get one though, didn’t I. :wacko:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Assume the prices posted are for a single subscription.

I have a family subscription that cost 30 odd quid, what will be the cost of renewing this as is and with the additional premium content?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mwaawm said:

Assume the prices posted are for a single subscription.

I have a family subscription that cost 30 odd quid, what will be the cost of renewing this as is and with the additional premium content?

 

£60.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if we’ll ever get a remaster of Ocarina of time, I know we had the 3DS version, but that properly upscaled with nicer textures at 60fps would be lovely. I’m guessing if we do, 2023 will be the year, its 25th anniversary (I know).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d love a proper remake of OoT, not just an upscale. For me (and I’m sure many others) it’s still the flagship Zelda title. Nintendo don’t really do remasters of that scale, though. They just re-release the same game over and over and over again and we lap it up like the idiots we are. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find the inclusion of the New Horizons DLC oddly confusing. I can only assume they're doing it to sell the sub to a more modern audience, but it just feels really untidy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I’d love a proper remake of OoT, not just an upscale. For me (and I’m sure many others) it’s still the flagship Zelda title. Nintendo don’t really do remasters of that scale, though. They just re-release the same game over and over and over again and we lap it up like the idiots we are. 

Well OoT 3D was a proper remaster don’t forgot with redone character models, textures and many QoL improvements too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jolly said:

I find the inclusion of the New Horizons DLC oddly confusing. I can only assume they're doing it to sell the sub to a more modern audience, but it just feels really untidy. 

It’s a bizarre and therefore very Nintendo thing to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Dudley said:

 

Hopefully never.

 

Stream gaming is likely to be shite in the home for a long while yet.  On a portable?

 

 

Keeping your cloud saves for the games they decide they will.

 

Which is no for the 2 I'd consider most important.


Which two?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ryodi said:

I resisted the temptation to buy the N64 pad. I bought the SNES controller and never use it because the Pro controller much more comfortable. There's also nothing that interests me in the N64 games offered until Paper Marion is released. 


If there is nothing that interests you then that’s fair enough.
 

Plenty of the best N64 games used all 6 face buttons though (especially ISS, Goldeneye and PD) so assuming they come out on the service it’ll be a necessary cost. I’ve tried emulation via 4 face button controllers/right joystick emulating buttons and it stinks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

I just want to buy the N64 games separately.

 

Also seems like wishful thinking to hope that the N64 pad would be compatible with a Bluetooth dongle for an actual N64. I'll bet there's no way it works with a memory card.

 

hoping retrobit or 8bitdo do one, wouldn't be that unrealistic

 

58 minutes ago, Crhis said:

Are those official Nintendo Controllers “open”? 
 

Never bothered with the S/NES ones as I had an 8bitdo version that works with my PC and everything else too. 

 

they're just USB C and bluetooth. I think they just sync regularly? I haven't tried it cos I have an 8bitdo SNES pad but when the N64 one comes I'll give it a go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They work. I played through most of Chrono Trigger with a Switch SNES pad and an 8BitDo Bluetooth dongle plugged into a real SNES recently. The 8BitDo 2.4G SF30 was better for this use case in the end but it's still possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.