IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

9 minutes ago, curium said:

Thinking of picking up a switch. Worth seeking out an OLED version? Don't seem to be as available as the standard version.

If you aren’t going to use it handheld, then there’ll little point paying for an OLED.

Which I realise goes against what I did.

36 minutes ago, curium said:

My kids are quite big into Minecraft. Is the switch edition worthwhile? Does it allow cross-platform play?

It’s fine that is to say that Bedrock Minecraft manages to run on a potato PC relatively easily so no surprise it works okay here.

Its the bedrock edition so cross play with all platforms apart from Java.

41 minutes ago, curium said:

My kids are quite big into Minecraft. Is the switch edition worthwhile? Does it allow cross-platform play?

If they want to play split screen they both need Switch profiles btw. At least that’s the only way I could get it to work - and finding someone you know and getting on their island was enough bother to make me want to reverse over the Switch several times. 

I might give Minecraft a miss for now. Just trying to pick some games to buy with the console.

Just Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for now. Presumably I need another set of joycons so they can play versus?

After some other contenders. Ideally I'm after something with good solo game play to contrast the multiplayer aspect of Mario Kart...

I'd throw in Splatoon 2 as well as an essential Switch experience, although I know curium mentioned solo play; there is a solo campaign (+ solo DLC) but the base 4-on-4 vs randoms doesn't feel like other team shooters; you still pretty much do your own thing to contribute to the win. Or loss.

2 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Where are you getting those summaries for the Switch?

Also, what are the Harry Potter Lego games like. My 7yr old daughter is mad for HP at the moment. Are the games individual to each book/film? We are only half way through the third book and want to avoid spoilers. 

If they haven't sent you an email about it (they didn't send me one) then you can check it on their website.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/2021-Nintendo-Switch-Year-in-Review/2021-Nintendo-Switch-Year-in-Review-2086190.html?

Hmmmm…..my original right side hit on doesn’t seem to pair up as a single controller. Any ideas?

it works portable so I thought it might be a battery issue but works if both joycons are synced together as 1up but not if I need to split into 1up and 2up. 

I’ve tried cleaning them with non-conducting contact spray too. 

On 17/12/2021 at 01:26, Calashnikov said:

Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey are essential and both packed with content. Those plus Mario Kart are probably the holy triumvirate of absolutely universal and eternal Switch essentials.

It’s pretty sad that all these were released in 2017, along with the other suggestion made below the post, Splatoon 2. Sigh. 

13 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Also, what are the Harry Potter Lego games like. My 7yr old daughter is mad for HP at the moment. Are the games individual to each book/film? We are only half way through the third book and want to avoid spoilers. 

The Lego HP game on Switch is a remaster of the original 2 games. 

The first game covers the first 4 years and the 2nd game covers the rest. 

It'll be chock full of spoilers. 

The years have about 6 levels each which don't take long to get through but you may see some spoilers around the Hogwarts and the unlockable characters you'll come across. 

(I'm not familiar with the books)

5 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Animal Crossing? Fucking time sink that was and I didn’t even achieve anything in it. 

that was about 200+ hours, think the rest was Pokemon Sword and Hades. 2020 was a banger year. Then two new consoles came out.