Nintendo Switch

deKay

4 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

I can't decide if I want a Mega Drive pad. It's a lovely object but unlike the N64 controller it won't make the games feel any different.

that was exactly my thinking, it's 3 buttons and a dpad, nothing I can't do on what I've got already whereas the N64 one is quite bespoke in layout and inputs.

This could be good!

Clockwork Aquario is a hitherto unreleased arcade game from Wonder Boy series creator Ryuichi Nishizawa. It never saw a proper release – until now. The original developers have come together once more to finally finish up the project after 30 years!

Clockwork Aquario debut trailer:

Out next week on the eShop!

Dear regular Switch to OLED upgraders, a question if I may.

Has it been worth it. Be honest, set aside any confirmation bias, has it really made much of a difference to your enjoyment of the Switch and its games? Has it revitalised your passion for the hardware? Or has the novelty worn off at all? Any regrets?

Edit: Talking about playing handheld mode.

24 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Has it been worth it. Be honest, set aside any confirmation bias, has it really made much of a difference to your enjoyment of the Switch and its games? Has it revitalised your passion for the hardware? Or has the novelty worn off at all? Any regrets?

I would say yes. I use my machine mainly in handheld mode, and the screen really does improve the good games I had already played on it. The colour are a lot more vibrant and the blacks are actually black now. Obviously not worth upgrading if you play mainly in docked mode though, and it will not improve games that were already rubbish. I would say it more or a luxury item, not necessarily something you need to upgrade to though if you are happy with what you have now.

5 hours ago, jonamok said:

Yeah definitely, the screen is amazing but also the kickstand makes it much more enjoyable as I play in tabletop mode quite a bit, the sound is better, and the battery life is much improved over the original (launch model that is). 

The whole unit is just sturdier and better built, feels more premium, but that screen really is a thing of beauty and totally seals the deal. 

7 hours ago, jonamok said:

I’d have to say no personally. I don’t have any regrets and would still choose the OLED model since I like having the ‘best’ version of any console. However it never wow’d me or anything. I’m lucky enough to already have OLED screens for playing games on and watching TV / Movies so maybe that’s why. The biggest difference for me was the slightly bigger screen and that got me to play a reasonable portion of Metroid handheld which I’d have never done otherwise, but I didn’t take long for me to realise that I’d just rather be playing docked and on a much bigger screen anyway. 

If you can afford to upgrade with no issues and have got nothing better to spend the money on then go for it. You won’t be disappointed. If not then I certainly wouldn’t worry about it. 

7 hours ago, jonamok said:

For me most definitely. I do pretty much all my gaming in handheld mode and I still am impressed every time I turn it on. It's just on a completely different level. And not just the blacks, all the colors are so vibrant! I played a bit on (non OLED) TV yesterday for the first time since getting the OLED Switch and it was rubbish. I kept thinking how washed out it looked.

And it's the same for me as for @Stanley, I upgraded from a launch model so the improved battery life is very much appreciated. And the better speakers and kickstand are the icing on the cake.

And also, I managed to sell my old switch for a very nice amount. The older models are actually sought after more because you can hack them to run homebrew and stuff on it. So that might factor in your decision to upgrade.