Nintendo Switch

deKay

14 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I thought it was fundamentally the same but not....what's the word? Unfinishable? You know, gaas shit. So it was more limited and cut back?

Dunno. The 3DS version was finishable, except that it was a piece of piss to get to the end boss who was then impossible even after an additional 30 hours of grinding.

For £3.21, I can't really complain if I never play Puzzle & Dragons beyond today. AT the moment, it's all a touch overwhelming in the way that Japanese Gacha-games tend to be, throwing a whole ton of stuff at you early on that makes next to 0 sense.

It doesn't take too long to get comfortable with most of the concepts, though. The core game is, obviously, pretty much second nature by this point, so even if you're not fully paying attention you'll sail through the first bunch of levels. No idea how far there is to get, but there are some competitive elements in play which should lengthen the lifespan. PvP mode has 3 permanent cups, and a current cup which at time of writing has 22 days left to run. I ran this against AIs in the computer match, and came 6th. But this was without any kind of avatar bonuses attached, and with my team completely unevolved. 

In-app purchases? Yes, but they are all pulls on the various Gach-dragons, so can probably be ignored. It seems to mostly be skins and music, although there are also teams that are locked behind this paywall. At this point, I have no idea if there are any win-button teams, or if I can grind the teams I can earn in-game through achievement puils will be enough to get me through. But, as I said at the start ... £3.21. I'm not going to moan if it turns out to be not really for me.

It's not just the Avatars and Music, there's the bonus items. Some avatars unlock new teams and the bonus power thingies.

Playing PvP levelled me up immensely. I want from 7 to 18 in one game and got all the bonus dragon pulls that came with the achievements. 

Is there any way to change your online PvP team? I couldn't see how.

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Is there any way to change your online PvP team?

I suspect that there isn't to at least stave off some of the inevitable "pay to win" complaints. It makes sense that everyone has to use the same base team in the cups. I would like it if there was a way of customising my team in quest mode, but it looks like there's enough variety in the prefabs to be able to cover any brick walls that may get thrown at us.

It's really good. I'm not sure why the mobile game has never been released over here, but I think it would do really well if it was. Let's face it, it wees all over Candy Crush from a great height. Sure, all Match-3s have a touch of luck, but there is something inherently satisfying when you make a combo that you played for, which then keeps going to hit a few you had no idea about. £3.21 is an absolute steal, and most people on this forum will probably have enough points to get it free anyway! 

I'm aware I sound like an advert for it at this point. I promise I have nothing to do with it, just want more people to give it a shot because it's so much better than the cynic in me thought it was going to be.

I've enjoyed what I've played of it. I think you'd have no chance playing on Joy Cons or pad online, the touchscreen is far better for rapid input. 

We'd need to ask someone like Nate (again but I'm not gonna keep pinging him) as to why you had to go APK hunting for the Android one.

Tempted to pick up the base online membership, but wondering how the NES and SNES game situation works. Am I streaming them, or can I actually download the things and play them on the move? 

7 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Streaming only. @JoeK

Ah, shit. Bloody nintendo, I’d pay real money and everything to buy some of these things on a Switch cart. NES and SNES never got the love back in the day from me, as I was a computer nerd.

Also: Megadrive got it’s oily fingers into my brain as soon as it was released in Japan. 

3 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

This is absolutely incorrect.

"Games can be played while you are offline, but you must have an active membership and regularly verify your membership by connecting to the internet." - Source

2 hours ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Oh shit. That's news to me. My bad. 

Yeah they are downloaded locally but Switch periodically needs to phone home to check you have an active subscription to play them.

21 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Yeah they are downloaded locally but Switch periodically needs to phone home to check you have an active subscription to play them.

How's that work then? Does it send you a code on your mobile or something? 

50 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Dunno when they did it, but all the fog etc is back in OOT on the switch online service. Everything seems to be almost perfect now. Must have been an emulator upgrade at some point. 

Thursday, when they added MM

9 hours ago, deKay said:

Thursday, when they added MM

Oh, you mean the game of the week?

Spoiler

I played up to the first real boss in Elden ring then got lost in this for a couple of hours while I whimpered.

3 hours ago, Azrael said:

So brand new mainline Pokemon games just casually announced in the Pokemon YouTube video thing, coming to Switch end of year. 

End of the year ?!?! WTF is in the water over there??? So many games coming this year!

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/03/missions-and-rewards-added-to-nintendo-switch-online

Nintendo has just announced that 'Missions' and 'Rewards' have been added to Nintendo Switch Online.

These elements can be accessed by navigating to the NSO icon on your Switch home screen then selecting the 'Missions & Rewards' section. Here, you'll find a list of available missions, which are related to (as Nintendo puts it) "things you’re probably already doing with your Nintendo Switch Online membership, like playing online or trying out the library of classic games."

So, what do you get for taking part in these missions? Platinum Points, that's what. These can be redeemed for items in the My Nintendo Store as usual, but also "new member-exclusive icon elements you can collect and put together to create a new user icon."