Nintendo Switch

deKay

Can someone advise if the Hori Split Pad is a worthwhile upgrade? I do like playing Switch occasionally and when I do it’s usually in handheld mode, but it makes my wrists ache, particularly the left one. I do have osteoarthritis, so just wondered if using the Split pad is a much more comfortable way to play.

2 hours ago, skondo said:

Can someone advise if the Hori Split Pad is a worthwhile upgrade? I do like playing Switch occasionally and when I do it’s usually in handheld mode, but it makes my wrists ache, particularly the left one. I do have osteoarthritis, so just wondered if using the Split pad is a much more comfortable way to play.

Not got it myself but there's been lots of feedback in here about how good it is. Also 17,000 reviews on Amazon at 4 and a half stars.

Alternate suggestion to a split pad if you already own a Pro: I bought one of those clips that attach the Switch to it. Works surprisingly well even though mine is as cheap and basic as they come. 

I can vouch for the split pad. The grip is much more comfortable and the sticks and buttons are excellent. It even has some extra, programmable buttons on the back.

Their only downside are lack of wireless and rumble. I think there might be some alternatives now that do include those features but I reckon it will be hard to beat the Hori's button and stick quality. 

Edit: also, it has a proper dpad! 

Another thumbs up for Hori Split Pad. For the majority of games it's worth what you lose in rumble for comfort. 

It is a bit of a faff to remember to stick the regular joycons in for a charge for when you want to waggle. 

So what would you guys think would be some of the best roguelikes on Switch? I think Children of Morta would be right up there. Very rich in atmosphere and has great energy in maneuvering around caves while taking enemies down.

SBMg7dH.jpg

On 16/07/2022 at 04:31, skondo said:

Hopefully you’ve already been swayed by other’s praise for the Hori split pad but I’ll just add to it.  I took a punt on a set a couple of weeks ago and I have to say it has transformed the Switch for handheld play into something far more usable, especially for stuff like Portal/1st person guff.

On 14/07/2022 at 19:13, Bacon Horsemeat said:

I want Xbox controller comfort though

£50 for a Pro, ffs

You can get USB dongles that let you use your Xbox controller on the switch :).

Details on both of them here:

https://www.imore.com/how-wirelessly-use-your-xbox-one-controller-nintendo-switch

I should also add that the Pro controller is superb both in feel and function (that battery!) and is worthy of its £50 tag just as much as Xbox and PS controllers are. 

On 16/07/2022 at 04:31, skondo said:

I've heard nothing but good things about the Split Pad Pro but didn't fancy loosing the rumble of Gyro controls.

I went for one of the clip on ones by a company called Oivo (it's this fella https://www.amazon.co.uk/OIVO-Adjustable-Compatible-Ergonomic-Asymmetrical-Black/dp/B09C86DJSN ) and it's superb. The key to it's comfort for me is not only the grip / handle profile but also that the R/H one pitches your thumb in at a much more comfortable angle and I wouldn't dream of playing handheld without it now / I can't recommend it enough (as do loads of YT reviews). 

It is available on Wish and Ali thingy of you don't mind waiting a week or two:

https://www.wish.com/product/5eae9129e5e7c3adb5f3d829?from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=GB&_force_currency_code=GBP&pid=googleadwords_int&c=17739879730&ad_cid=5eae9129e5e7c3adb5f3d829&ad_cc=GB&ad_lang=EN&ad_curr=GBP&ad_price=15.00&campaign_id=17739879730&retargeting=true&exclude_install=true&gclid=CjwKCAjw5s6WBhA4EiwACGncZdNK46dH7KP6x4h1XslqhQWytC3HWuuKoPc9Lly05_pD2VLFHtp9fBoCPPMQAvD_BwE&share=web

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004212259781.html?UTABTest=aliabtest298352_419680&_randl_currency=GBP&_randl_shipto=GB&src=google&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=708-803-3821&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&albagn=888888&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false&albcp=17223542304&albag=134998068205&trgt=295204014427&crea=en1005004212259781&netw=u&device=c&albpg=295204014427&albpd=en1005004212259781&gclid=CjwKCAjw5s6WBhA4EiwACGncZQe1LyK_tsAY2G114qCkU60-CItIYXFZBc-oWihQjS1xdgpURbBlrRoC1tAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&aff_fcid=c6821bf10fcd42819244f7508864ffe8-1658049489443-01443-UneMJZVf&aff_fsk=UneMJZVf&aff_platform=aaf&sk=UneMJZVf&aff_trace_key=c6821bf10fcd42819244f7508864ffe8-1658049489443-01443-UneMJZVf&terminal_id=c11e5f74eee049d5aa6ff81a8a48ec68&OLP=1082800308_f_group0&o_s_id=1082800308&afSmartRedirect=y

Failing that there's this fella on Amazon which has the differently shaped / angled R/H grip which should do the same job.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zadii-Ergonomic-Compatible-Comfortable-Protector/dp/B07X7NFWG8/ref=asc_df_B07X7NFWG8/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=383990402380&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12882153116643065181&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007092&hvtargid=pla-827899339802&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=81030823329&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=383990402380&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12882153116643065181&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007092&hvtargid=pla-827899339802

Either way, one of these of a Hori Split should make things waaaay more comfortable for you :).

56 minutes ago, chamberlago said:

The Hori split pad is so comfy but I'd kill for one with gyro and rumble

11 minutes ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Is there a Hori Split pad equivalent with wireless?

No need for any killing…you want these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09M8G83YT?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title#

Split Pro level comfort, rumble, gyro and wireless (they come with an adapter thing like the joycons to use stand alone). You also get two programmable back buttons like the split pad.

I got the linked ones a couple of months ago in white to go with my new OLED but there are a variety of colours. Binbok also do a slim variant which is similar to a normal joycon but these ones feel almost identical to the split pad but have the extra features.

Caveats are whilst they have rumble it’s nothing like the HD rumble on a real joycon but other than that they make handheld mode a joy without the compromises of the split pad!

14 hours ago, electricmastro said:

So what would you guys think would be some of the best roguelikes on Switch? I think Children of Morta would be right up there. Very rich in atmosphere and has great energy in maneuvering around caves while taking enemies down.

SBMg7dH.jpg

I'm always a tad hazy about what actually classes a game as purely roguelike, but off the top of my head these ones are decent on the Switch:

Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy, Hades.

18 hours ago, electricmastro said:

SBMg7dH.jpg

Into the Breach and Slay the Spire are both incredible.

19 hours ago, electricmastro said:

SBMg7dH.jpg

Shiren the Wanderer if you want an old school roguelike. It’s digital only and originally released in 2010 in Japan with a Vita port in 2016.

Nintendo is advising people not to use their Switch if the temperature is above 35C.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/07/dont-use-your-switch-in-temperatures-exceeding-35c-warns-nintendo

As such, Nintendo has issued a warning to its Japanese audience against using the Nintendo Switch in high temperatures, stating that doing to will increase the internal temperature of the machine. It also warns against blocking the air intake and exhaust vents, as this will exacerbate the increase in internal heat.

Playing a Nintendo Switch in a high temperature area can cause the temperature of the console to rise. Please use the console in areas between 5 ~ 35°C (41 ~ 95°F).
Additionally, blocking the air intake and exhaust vents can cause the console to heat up. Please allow for good ventilation around these vents

I’ll be too busy trying not to pass out in the heat, not trying to use the console.

9 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Wonder if it turns itself off if it gets too hot, like an iPhone does when left out in the sun? I might put my OG switch outside tomorrow to see what happens. 

You wouldn't think a little thermal throttle would be too difficult for them to drop over an update.

Actually, shouldn't modern safety standards dictate that there should be? Especially when it's carrying a lithium battery. 

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

You wouldn't think a little thermal throttle would be too difficult for them to drop over an update.

Actually, shouldn't modern safety standards dictate that there should be? Especially when it's carrying a lithium battery.

The CPU and GPU won’t put out enough additional heat for the battery to be a risk to the user, although it’ll inevitably reduce the life span.

23 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

No need for any killing…you want these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09M8G83YT?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title#

Split Pro level comfort, rumble, gyro and wireless (they come with an adapter thing like the joycons to use stand alone). You also get two programmable back buttons like the split pad.

I got the linked ones a couple of months ago in white to go with my new OLED but there are a variety of colours. Binbok also do a slim variant which is similar to a normal joycon but these ones feel almost identical to the split pad but have the extra features.

Caveats are whilst they have rumble it’s nothing like the HD rumble on a real joycon but other than that they make handheld mode a joy without the compromises of the split pad!

Nice. Can’t find it on Amazon UK, though.