IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

29 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

How do you check your play time?

I personally look at the play time within the user profile.

I know the parental controls app displays a more accurate report, but that isn't public.

I was talking to one of the guys from Judo about Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and how I put just over 80 hours into it. He got back to me at the next session saying my profile showed that I'd only played it for "A little while", which made me look like a massive bullshitter. Now all of my other game's clocks, other than the new games I've started playing on this particular system, are failing to tick upwards.

6 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I personally look at the play time within the user profile.

I know the parental controls app displays a more accurate report, but that isn't public.

I was talking to one of the guys from Judo about Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and how I put just over 80 hours into it. He got back to me at the next session saying my profile showed that I'd played it for only "A little while", which made me look like a massive bullshitter. Now all of my other game's clocks are failing to tick upwards.

Where’s the option for that? I like such stats.

Yes I noticed everything in terms of data management had reset to never played after I upgraded to an OLED.

2 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Where’s the option for that? I like such stats.

Yes I noticed everything in terms of data management had reset to never played after I upgraded to an OLED.

It's right there, on your profile (this isn't mine):

qr70g6fudgs61.jpg?width=1280&format=pjpg

Ring Fit Adventure is £16 preowned at Game at the moment. I know what you’re thinking, but I’d bet a lot of traded in copies were barely used. Especially as I’ve just got round to opening up the one I bought today and the games still sealed!

1 minute ago, Radish said:

Ring Fit Adventure is £16 preowned at Game at the moment. I know what you’re thinking, but I’d bet a lot of traded in copies were barely used. Especially as I’ve just got round to opening up the one I bought today and the games still sealed!

One of my work colleagues twisted her ankle playing that with her son. Be careful!

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

I'm a bit of a stickler for displayed play activity, and apparently the logged play time won't update on a new Switch until you start surpassing the play time set on the old one.

I was wondering why my BOTW activity was stuck on 140 hours. I'll have to play for 145 hours on this new Switch before it starts ticking again. That's fucking ballshite.

That isn’t true. All my play time continued on. Notably Animal Crossing, which was 400+ hours and is now about 500.

32 minutes ago, deKay said:

That isn’t true. All my play time continued on.

Well, most of mine isn't. It still displays, but it's not moving at all. Some games, such as Diablo III and Shining Pearl (and the aforementioned XC2), are resetting to zero once they drop out of the top 20 last played. Diablo III shows that I've played it for 3 hours, when it's more like 148 hours. At least that's ticking upwards from zero again.

So yeah, I either have to play BOTW for another 145 hours to get it to start ticking, or let it start again from zero by dropping it out of my top 20. It's pretty amateurish when they can't even log time properly, especially after the awesome 3DS activity tracker.

22 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Animal Crossing has it’s own transfer app. What about something else?

Fire Emblem Warriors, Hyrule Warriors, the NES Online app, Code of Princess, Castlevania Advance Collection, Digerati Best Sellers, Sega Mega Drive Collection, 51 Worldwide Games.

All of mine continued on when I moved from my switch to my AC edition switch and again to my OLED. It’s possible you need to play the game (or at least boot it up) and then wait the 1 days for it to update.

I say possible, I can’t remember what mine did. I seem to recall BOTW not updating immediately though.

On 08/08/2022 at 18:14, Count Buffalos said:

How is the input lag on N64 games via Switch?

I don’t know what level of insane TASBot bullshit people are expecting to do with an N64 emulator on a Switch, or what genius speed runners we have on the forum pulling off frame perfect tricks on their Twitch streams like they’re the headline act at AGDQ, but if I can beat F-Zero X on Master difficulty then I imagine this “game breaking input lag” is actually a load of horseshit. I mean, even if there is input lag, you’re playing Banjo-Kazooie with a can of Red Stripe ffs, it’s not going to matter!

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Fire Emblem Warriors, Hyrule Warriors, the NES Online app, Code of Princess, Castlevania Advance Collection, Digerati Best Sellers, Sega Mega Drive Collection, 51 Worldwide Games.

Is this like your PS Plus sub?

22 hours ago, David Heath said:

I don’t know what level of insane TASBot bullshit people are expecting to do with an N64 emulator on a Switch, or what genius speed runners we have on the forum pulling off frame perfect tricks on their Twitch streams like they’re the headline act at AGDQ, but if I can beat F-Zero X on Master difficulty then I imagine this “game breaking input lag” is actually a load of horseshit. I mean, even if there is input lag, you’re playing Banjo-Kazooie with a can of Red Stripe ffs, it’s not going to matter!

Input latency is rarely game-breaking outside of vs. fighters/shmups, but it's certainly enough to hamper enjoyment of regular gameplay.

Speed-running is far from regular gameplay.

On 26/06/2022 at 22:07, teddymeow said:

Anybody used the 8bitdo SN30 Pro+?

Looking at buying one as it has the option of forcing y-axis invert so I'd be able to play stuff like Luigi's Mansion 3 which doesn't have the option in-game.

I saw some people replied at the time, but as a relatively new owner of 8bitdo sticks, thought I'd add my opinion. I've been a very unhappy owner of Switch Joycons (too small, and horrible stick drift), and of Switch Pro Controller (love the pad, but very surprised that the sticks got drift so quickly given the price), and of cheap imitation sticks (plastic-y, but surprisingly durable and no drift!).

I tried the SN30+ a few months ago and love it. Very nice weight (not too heavy, not too light), feels "quality", great design of sticks/d-pad/buttons, no drift (so far). This week I added an 8bitdo Pro 2 as we wanted to play local multiplayer. This is even better than the SN30+ - the build feels even better, but I think the paddles on the back might be a bit useless on Switch - but the mode switch for changing platforms is great.

So yeah.. 8bitdo pads.. 4.5 Goombas out of 5.

OK Nintendo, you've got me, I'll be upgrading to the Expansion Pack later today. Wonder what the chances are of securing an N64 controller ? 🤔 

I still remember buying this from Dixons in '97, cost me £60 having saved my paper round money for weeks on end. It was worth every penny.

21 hours ago, routeburn said:

I saw some people replied at the time, but as a relatively new owner of 8bitdo sticks, thought I'd add my opinion. I've been a very unhappy owner of Switch Joycons (too small, and horrible stick drift), and of Switch Pro Controller (love the pad, but very surprised that the sticks got drift so quickly given the price), and of cheap imitation sticks (plastic-y, but surprisingly durable and no drift!).

I tried the SN30+ a few months ago and love it. Very nice weight (not too heavy, not too light), feels "quality", great design of sticks/d-pad/buttons, no drift (so far). This week I added an 8bitdo Pro 2 as we wanted to play local multiplayer. This is even better than the SN30+ - the build feels even better, but I think the paddles on the back might be a bit useless on Switch - but the mode switch for changing platforms is great.

So yeah.. 8bitdo pads.. 4.5 Goombas out of 5.

I've got the Pro 2 too and love it, feels solid and much more comfortable to hold than the joycons in the grip. Feels like a real quality pad. I don't use the paddles on the back for the Switch but I reckon its one of the best gaming purchases I've made. As someone who mostly plays the Switch docked, it's a great pad

I couldn't really get to grips with F-zero X on switch online service. Because one of the strafes was on the shoulder button and the other one was on the trigger button. I think it was ZL was strafe left and R was strafe right? Was there some way to change this that I missed?

25 minutes ago, chris on the moon said:

I couldn't really get to grips with F-zero X on switch online service. Because one of the strafes was on the shoulder button and the other one was on the trigger button. I think it was ZL was strafe left and R was strafe right? Was there some way to change this that I missed?

You can configure the controls, yes.

I managed to grab one of the N64 controllers for Switch when they briefly went back on sale and it completely transforms the N64 library on Switch Online, suddenly all the games "feel" right in a way they never do with any other controller. Even disregarding the odd button mappings, the games were so clearly designed around that stiff analogue stick and its very specific range of movement. I still wish they'd add a decent CRT filter (they've got it on the NES/SNES apps) or at least the ability to play games at the original resolution rather than the upscale they force on you, but it's a good selection of games these days.

I showed the N64 controller to my son and he laughed at it, the little git. Two hours later I found him hooked on Mario Golf 64.

Really looking forward to Wave Race. That game was hit particularly hard by the PAL conversion issue that blighted a lot of the N64 library - squashed AND slow? Certainly, sir! It's going to be nice playing the "proper" version for the first time.

Did they ever fix the frame rate issues on F-Zero X?

They need to remove the constant button reminder text and the user icon from the top left of the screen, more than anything. That dotted border, too.

Not even RetroArch can give the N64 even half-respectable CRT filters, as the console never really gave out a pristine 240p image in the first place. So I think upscaling is the best option for the time being.

M2-level remasters would be the best, but that’s never going to happen.

You can remove the button reminder text (it's in the main options menu somewhere, you can't access it in-game) but there's still no way of removing the user icon or the grey square pattern in the borders. That's concerning for OLED owners and somewhat discourages me from putting serious time into any of these emulated titles.

7 minutes ago, chris on the moon said:

It would be a real shame if anyone told me how to do that

you have to remap them at a system level, unless nintendo have put out an update i'm unaware of: