Nintendo Switch

deKay

8 hours ago, Stevo said:

Any more joy troubleshooting that, @mwaawm?

I did the JP account today and Waverace 64 was rumbling immediately with the pro controller. It was pretty cool to experience it. The music seemed to be slightly different too and I'm fairly certain there were some extra lines of commentary.

Hope you've got it figured out or do so soon.

Not using the pro controller just the joycons while we're on holiday....have updated both joycons  and confirmed rumble is turned on in both the switch and virtual console menus.  I am getting rumble in starfox but nothing in waverace regardless of if I access the japanese version via my original or new japanese user account......disappointing.

Right think I may have gotten to the bottom of this..... the 'new' version of waverace that I thought appeared as a result of setting up my japanese user account was seemingly just the US version.....I am now in process of downloading the n64 channel from the japanese store....Will then have to await whole it downloads the japanese set of games and then I might be able to play wave race with rumble.

Very far from the simple access I would've preferred but hopefully will be worth the faffing.

5 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Well in speaking of the Amiga, I'd say these games that were also on the Amiga would be more worthwhile than James Pond.

0VASxan.jpg

As decent as many Amiga games were would prefer they port games that didn't attempt to outconsole the consoles as the home computers were almost always coming off second best.....prefer we got access to some of the gems that never made it to home consoles but as an ST owner am perhaps biased as the platform was largely dormant gameswise by the heyday of the consoles so didn't really try to futilely go toe to toe with them barring the odd isolated gem in its twilight years (Lethal Xcess)

Love that I can get north & south on my tv screen easily but other games I would like access to would be the likes of.....

Stuntcar Racer

Dungeon Master

Megalomania

Realms

Starglider2

Legends of Valour

Midwinter 2

Hunter

No second prize

Vroom (or preferably F1 which was vroom with the official licence slapped on)

11 minutes ago, mwaawm said:

prefer we got access to some of the gems that never made it to home consoles

I did also notice there were several games that were on older computers like ZX Spectrum, but were never on home consoles until the time of the PS4 and Switch:

4uHVsr6.jpg

Yes its surprising how many old arcade games got conversions, I've discovered a few gems I originally missed through my interest in retro youtube channels these days and been galled by the fact that in amongst the various duds there's a fair few decent conversions that I missed out on due to the poor games coverage by the european computer magazine press that often treated gaming as an afterthought and dismissed many a great game as being boring or just another shooting game.

10 hours ago, deKay said:

Zool was never good. It looked great, but was impossible to control.

Robocod, however, on the Mega Drive at least, was magical. One of my favourite MD games. Still holds up pretty well today (well, a few months ago when I played it most recently, anyway) which the later bastardised versions do not.

I think this might be nostalgia playing a massive part here. Robocod is functionally ok but nothing special. I do like the Christmas aesthetic though. Maybe I'll give it another go in December (not the c64 version though!)

Waverace shindou is working for me now so back on topic..... the rumble really does add to what I always regarded as a fantastic racing experience.  I don't recall it being quite this hard though,  clearly out of practice since n64 days. 

Did you play the PAL version originally because that was a terrible conversion that ran much slower than the NTSC release. I’ve won the first championship but I’ll definitely abusing the save states on the higher difficulty levels.

24 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

x button to wave 

y button to race 

Okay!

23 minutes ago, dataDave said:

Dampen. Slide.

Good!

-------

Press B to "dip" (or dampen as Dave knew to call it!) and R to slide into a corner if you've started taking it a bit on the tight side. C buttons/ right joystick for camera.
https://cdn02.nintendo-europe.com/media/downloads/games_8/emanuals/nintendo_8/Manual_Nintendo64_WaveRace64_EN.pdf

I remember breezing through it without any bother on the Wii VC but yeah, the JP version seems a bit tougher. Not sure if that's how it was or if it should be put down to the pro controller stick? F-Zero X is a horror show with it. 

1 hour ago, Stevo said:

Press B to "dip" (or dampen as Dave knew to call it!) and R to slide into a corner if you've started taking it a bit on the tight side. C buttons/ right joystick for camera.
https://cdn02.nintendo-europe.com/media/downloads/games_8/emanuals/nintendo_8/Manual_Nintendo64_WaveRace64_EN.pdf

Whats the point in sharing that??

What he really needs to know is how to do barrel rolls, handstands and sit on the jetski backwards

Having been used to the PAL version on my N64, which wasnt exactly easy, the Shindou version definitely feels a lot harder

1 hour ago, mwaawm said:

Whats the point in sharing that??

What he really needs to know is how to do barrel rolls, handstands and sit on the jetski backwards

Having been used to the PAL version on my N64, which wasnt exactly easy, the Shindou version definitely feels a lot harder

Baby steps. 🙃 That stuff's on page 15 of the linked manual if you need to brush up.

OLED Switch with two top (AC and MK8) games for £339 seems to be a good deal for anyone who's after one...

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/nintendo-switch-oled-neon-red-and-blue-mario-kart-8-deluxe-and-animal-crossing-new-horizons-bundle-10233824.html?awc=1599_1661248675_c9d55a5162a9ab895aa479864b3f79d3&srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~HotUKDeals~Discount Code~47868~Pepper+Deals+Ltd&sv1=affiliate&sv_campaign_id=47868

Pretty tempted myself as whilst I've not seen one in the flesh I hear nothing but great things about the OLED screen (and indeed my Vita was lovely) and could probably flog the games for £70 whilst getting £120 for my old one, meaning I get an OLED upgrade for £150 🤔

Better still me doing so would likely prompt the release of a 4k Pro with an 8hr battery and Joy con stick internals made out of something other than Wensleydale so you lot would benefit too!! Winner winner eh :)!!

On 22/08/2022 at 17:13, JamesC said:

Just dropped in to say Robocod on the Megadrive is one of my all time favourite platform games.

Operation Starfish is damn good too. 

Operation Starfish is great! Awesome gameplay, music, a LOT of levels. It even had one of those extra big cartridges because it's so awesome it didn't fit on a normal one. One of my favourite Megadrive games :wub:.

James_Pond_3_Operation_Starfish_%2528SNE

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Wut

I think he means the EA carts which were taller. They weren't actually bigger (in terms of data capacity) inside.

Absolutely loving Waverace.

Never played it at the time so no nostalgia here, just feels so good to control.

Family are wondering why I’m shouting “GET BACK ON THE FUCKING JETSKI” at random times throughout the evening though.