Nintendo Switch

deKay

Just now, JimmytheMook said:

If Zelda is only released on launch in NA, it'll be a blast from the past digging out some old import websites, assuming that's still a thing.

My Aunt is flying over here from the states 2nd or 3rd week of April, so mine will be in her suitcase if that happens :P

Haven't they said the console is region free? What'd be to stop anyone downloading it digitally from the US store, assuming Nintendo will have their online shit sorted this time? Or is everything really going to be on cartridge?

29 minutes ago, JPL said:

Haven't they said the console is region free? What'd be to stop anyone downloading it digitally from the US store, assuming Nintendo will have their online shit sorted this time? Or is everything really going to be on cartridge?

Region free hardware rarely means region free online stores.

I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the original DS. Had a Gameboy and SNES before that. Wife got me a NES classic for Chrimbo and I've been playing Super Mario Run, and goddamm it I'm in full Nintendo nostalgia mode - I'm in day 1 on a Switch.

I'm dreaming of a new F Zero game...

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Region free hardware rarely means region free online stores.

It's possible on both PlayStation and Xbox so I'm, probably optimistically/naievly, expecting to be able to do it on Switch.

I think we might have crossed wires here.

What I'm suggesting is that even if Zelda is only released in the US for launch, why would that stop anyone else from downloading it in another country, presuming Nintendo follow Sony and MS's lead in allowing users to change their digital store region?

I thought that would seem likely seeing as the console is apparently region free.

You have to create a separate account for the other stores with a "local" billing address, don't you? Admittedly that's not a huge inconvenience but not everybody is likely to bother with it.

Actually now that I've checked...

Moving to another country outside of the PlayStation Europe region

The PlayStation Europe region includes all countries within Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Oceania. When you move country outside of PlayStation Europe you do not lose access to your Download List provided the system you are using to access the content is from the same region. To make purchases from PlayStation Store in your new country of residence you may need to purchase a new PlayStation system from a local store.

...whereas for Microsoft it's just a case of choosing a new region in a menu not more than once every three months.

There's a lot of scope for Nintendo to let you or not let you shop in other countries' stores then.

27 minutes ago, VN1X said:

The ghost of Iwata.

Here are some promotional thingies which just arrived at Target.

m610t8r.jpg

They're the same as the ones in Game. Only the ones in Game don't have a date on them.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/01/03/no-plans-for-mass-effect-andromeda-on-nintendo-switch

BioWare has stated that it currently does not expect to port the new entry in the Mass Effect series to Nintendo's latest console, the Switch.

Last year, EA indicated that it would be bringing one of its "bigger games" to Switch, but it's now clear that Andromeda was not the game in question.

Expected. However you forgot to include this part.

However, he did make clear that consumer demand could change that stance:

"If the Switch launches and everyone’s just yammering for Mass Effect, who knows. [sic] We never want to close doors like that.”

It'll be Fifa and they'll drop it after 2-3 years because it doesn't sell well compared to the PS4 and Xbone versions.

Seriously, anyone thinking this is going to get meaningful third party support beyond the odd paid-for exclusive and ports of old games is delusional.

For all thoughs people that have registered to see the Switch in London on 14/15 and haven't got an email confirmation just a heads up that some people have got an email confirmation so might be worth chasing Nintendo just to make sure everything has gone through OK.

i have not received an email as of yet and have sent an email to Nintendo UK customer service and the Switch Event email.

2 hours ago, Majora said:

It'll be Fifa and they'll drop it after 2-3 years because it doesn't sell well compared to the PS4 and Xbone versions.

Seriously, anyone thinking this is going to get meaningful third party support beyond the odd paid-for exclusive and ports of old games is delusional.

That's a line of thinking that completely ignores the mobile part of this, and the market share that Nintendo have in that sector. The 3DS has received pretty decent support, especially in Japan, so it's not unthinkable to say that it could bring some of that over with it.

A monster hunter title, for example, would carry a fair bit of clout.