Nintendo Switch

deKay

15 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Nope, claiming they're an audience with no gaming platform is the bold statement.

I find it bizarre that anyone can claim with any authority that people who bought a wii to play all the games that generally involved some actual movement suddenly thought that instead of that I will hence forth sit down and play Candy Crush instead.

All we actually know for sure is that not every owner of a Wii bought a Wii U....

Shut up guys.

Nintendo are making the best portable gaming machine the World has ever seen. It's powerful as FUCK. It's where you'll be able to play Zelda and Mario and Pokémon.

That they managed to sell 60 odd million 3dses when it wasn't a patch on this thing bodes well. 

And it plugs into your telly.

17 minutes ago, rgraves said:

No they are not. This is just batshit mental.

The Wii was being played by old folks in homes, by nans and grandads, by everyone it seemed - those folks are *not* playing on mobile games right now. It's simply mind blowing that anyone would think that mobile gaming has in any way captured the same audience that the Wii did. It's almost the opposite - a lot of folks that bought and played a Wii most likely don't even have a particularly up-to-date phone or any idea on how to download and install games on it.

I mean really - do you think these folks below now bust out their iPhones for their gaming fix? Or do you think they just bust out the Wii as it still delivers what they want and they couldn't give a hoot about specs and HDR?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1563076/Elderly-addicted-to-Nintendo-Wii-at-care-home.html

So you think these elderly people are going to buy the Switch in huge numbers, loving it's "gaming on the go" feature due to their active lifestyles?

Because that's the daftest thing I've ever heard, and this is the Nintendo thread, where you get a lot of daft fanboy opinions so that's a high bar!

I find it bizarre that anyone can claim with any authority that people who bought a wii to play all the games that generally involved some actual movement suddenly thought that instead of that I will hence forth sit down and play Candy Crush instead.

I suppose Pokemon Go would ruin your argument?

Anecdotal evidence time: I regularly volunteer at various retirement homes, and the Wii was indeed very popular for awhile. Eventually they got bored of it though. Most of them moved on to iPads and now play games on that. Those that didn't, went back to playing Facebook games on their old desktops or laptops. It often happens that their children buy an iPad for them and the elderly love it once they see how they can communicate with their grandchildren that way. Or, as you would expect, play lots of simple and free games. 

They don't use iPhones though because for them the screen is too small to see and navigate easily. Ipads are just right though! 

8 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I never understood how GameMania is able to survive this long and why people continue shopping there. It's like the 'Game' of the Netherlands and Belgium - all the fun horror stories in the Game thread here usually apply to GameMania too.

Oh shit. I thought these guys were an indie, that's who my preorder is with.

Do Mediamarkt do pre-orders?

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

My 11 year old is playing Yoshi's Woolly World as I type this - so we have proven market of 11-70 year olds ;)

BTW its a beautiful looking game, just being able to play it on a handheld would be enough to blow my mind - it looks better than most of the dross on PS4/Xbone esp that ripoff EA game that just proves how good Nintendo are at 'art'

You'll be able to play it on handheld next month. 

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

So you think these elderly people are going to buy the Switch in huge numbers, loving it's "gaming on the go" feature due to their active lifestyles?

Because that's the daftest thing I've ever heard, and this is the Nintendo thread, where you get a lot of daft fanboy opinions so that's a high bar!

I think he was arguing that these people aren't playing mobile and most likely won't buy switch either. Just dormant until the next big fad. 

4 hours ago, rgraves said:

Hold on, are you suggesting the Wii audience went to mobile instead? Because that's just rubbish. The Wii sold in huge numbers to parents, grandparents etc - those folks are *not* sitting anywhere playing games on their mobile. They are just not playing anything at all. Mobile did not gobble up that market at all.

The mobile market has grown yep, but the Wii went well beyond those folks that are playing on mobiles/tablets right now. The controls captured that audience, and until something else so obvious and revolutionary (i.e. not the Switch from what we've seen so far) comes along again it'll stay dormant.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2016/October/Nintendo-Switch-Presentation-2017-coming-January-13th-2017-1149971.html

I, for one, am not going to stay up till 4am on a Friday morning.

Does anyone here think that it's a little weird that the Switch will still support cartridges, rather than just downloads? You will still presumably need a sizeable SD card to store patches for games and so on, which are often as large as the games these days. Besides, I remember what it was like to carry a bunch of cartridges around, it was annoying. I am guessing that the primary reason for this is that they didn't want to piss off brick and mortar stores, who they need to push their product. There's a ton of ways that they could get around this though. Because it's a handheld, and you can actually physically bring your device into the store, why not just let stores sell the games for download over their own wi-fi? Maybe even have the most popular games cached so it isn't throttled by their internet speed. Hell, I'd be tempted to pop over to a Game or HMV if it meant I didn't have to leave the console downloading overnight before I can play. Even for ordinary consoles there's nothing stopping Sony or Microsoft from developing NFC tags (which would be even cheaper than disks, and potentially re-programmable / recyclable) for retailers to sell, which could unlock downloads for a hypothetical future diskless console.

Well, 35GB launch day patches wouldn't be a thing if physical media wasn't a thing. I wonder how long the lead time for cartridges is vs disks, they tend to "go gold" a month before release with the latter, but of course that doesn't mean the developers stop working on the game.

When it comes to third party support I'm not particularly interested in Xbox or PS4 ports - especially if they have to be watered down for the format. But when I look at my 3DS, the main stuff I play is third party - the Phoenix Wright games, Monster Hunter, the indie stuff. They really need that kind of support on the Switch. 

I think I'd be interest in ports for a lot of titles because adding "on the bus" to some games just adds a certain novelty. GTA V on the bus. Fifa on the bus. Minecraft on the bus. People might already own these games, but not in a bus-compatible format.

31 minutes ago, dataDave said:

They're not expensive anymore.

Had a bit of a google and it looks like you're completely correct. ROM chips have parity with Blurays now, apprarently.

32 minutes ago, Napole0n said:

When it comes to third party support I'm not particularly interested in Xbox or PS4 ports - especially if they have to be watered down for the format. But when I look at my 3DS, the main stuff I play is third party - the Phoenix Wright games, Monster Hunter, the indie stuff. They really need that kind of support on the Switch. 

New games in those franchises will probably end up on the Switch now anyway.

Will definitely end up on Switch.

I mean, it's no surprise to see the same old people writing off a Nintendo console but writing it off a week before its reveal seems particularly harsh.

I'm gonna get at least three of these fucking things. 

What do we reckon the surprise is? I mean, what we already know is great but for the reveal... I mean, they wouldn't be having a reveal unless there was a reveal.

New Mario Chase.

Just now, joe bazooka said:

Will definitely end up on Switch.

I mean, it's no surprise to see the same old people writing off a Nintendo console but writing it off a week before its reveal seems particularly harsh.

I'm gonna get at least three of these fucking things. 

What do we reckon the surprise is? I mean, what we already know is great but for the reveal... I mean, they wouldn't be having a reveal unless there was a reveal.

New Mario Chase.

Hidden flap not seen in promo :o

The launch line-up would be quite worthy of a reveal. Apart from Zelda, a game that was already announced for the Wii U, we have only seen some random game footage in the Switch announcement trailer. I just need to know what the launch games are and the price.

2 hours ago, Liamness said:

Well, 35GB launch day patches wouldn't be a thing if physical media wasn't a thing. I wonder how long the lead time for cartridges is vs disks, they tend to "go gold" a month before release with the latter, but of course that doesn't mean the developers stop working on the game.

Part of it is probably also due to the limitations caused by storing huge games on onboard memory. It's rumoured to have 128gig which wouldn't hold many games. Putting games on cartridges should mean no or minimal installs, leaving the onboard storage for apps, music, that sorta stuff 

I can't wait for the reveal. I'm definitely getting up early for it.

I mean, I got up early to watch the very last episode of Lost all those years ago and that was utter shit. This will be amazing.