Nintendo Switch

deKay

57 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I think if they sell 30-40 million it'll be more than a relative success to be fair - PS4 is a crazy success and that's at what 50m? So 30-40m would be more than 'relative success' for Nintendo from where they currently are surely?

PS4 is at 54 million after three years and is selling around 17 million units a year. Assuming a 5-6 year lifecycle and some further pricedrops you'd expect it to challenge 100 million lifetime.

30-40 million Switches would be reasonable, and obviously a massive step-up from Wii U, but the N64 sold 32 million consoles and isn't remembered as a big success.

8 minutes ago, Majora said:

PS4 is at 54 million after three years and is selling around 17 million units a year. Assuming a 5-6 year lifecycle and some further pricedrops you'd expect it to challenge 100 million lifetime.

30-40 million Switches would be reasonable, and obviously a massive step-up from Wii U, but the N64 sold 32 million consoles and isn't remembered as a big success.

The N64 was coming off the back of the SNES though. I think 30-40 million for Switch coming off the back of Wii U would be decent. It has the potential to go higher, but I think 30-40m would be very solid indeed for them really.

5 minutes ago, Camel said:

I'm surprised the N64 isn't seen as a 'big success'. 

It was a bit of a disaster for software numbers coming off the back of the huge SNES library. Might have been a different story if they had gone with CD's like everyone else. Seems to be a bit of a regular cycle for Nintendo.

27 minutes ago, Clipper said:

localisation a holdup? in this day and age? Everyone and their dog can do global release dates now, if this is true then how is it Nintendo keep stumbling over on the basic stuff?

Because it isn't true.

27 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

Something about the whole thing doesn't ring right with me. Absolutely no details revealed. Little time to promote and build hype, compared to Zelda and any other huge title for that matter. Launching Nintendo's 2 biggest heavy hitters right beside each other. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I'm beginning to suspect that Mario might end up not being the type of title that can hold a product launch on it's own...

It isn't the 12th yet, and this is closer to how Apple do launches. Say it'll happen, give a little bit of info, then full reveal just before release.

Just now, Clipper said:

how do you know?

saying it is true is a rumour

Saying it isnt true is a rumour

because we don't know either way :)

Because until it *is* true, it isn't true. Currently, we don't know. Therefore, it isn't true.

It's very unlikely anyway. Nintendo sorted their shit with localisation ages ago.

2 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

Something about the whole thing doesn't ring right with me. Absolutely no details revealed. Little time to promote and build hype, compared to Zelda and any other huge title for that matter. Launching Nintendo's 2 biggest heavy hitters right beside each other. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I'm beginning to suspect that Mario might end up not being the type of title that can hold a product launch on it's own...

All the main details should be revealed in the presentation on the 12th. Hands-on events are happening after that. That gives Nintendo a solid couple of months to go all out on marketing to it, which I think is plenty of time. I'd only see a cause for "concern" if they were still holding back on details until the launch.

3 minutes ago, deKay said:

Because until it *is* true, it isn't true. Currently, we don't know. Therefore, it isn't true.

nah if we don't know something it doesn't mean that thing is true or untrue , its state is unknown to us.

If I told you I thought a tree in the forest over there had fallen down then that rumour could be true or untrue :P

if ya going to do the rumour flag thing do it right :D

Just now, robotattack said:

All the main details should be revealed in the presentation on the 12th. Hands-on events are happening after that. That gives Nintendo a solid couple of months to go all out on marketing to it, which I think is plenty of time. I'd only see a cause for "concern" if they were still holding back on details until the launch,

I think that's completely crazy personally. 2 months from reveal to release? With Nintendo's track record? Insane, totally insane.

I hope I'm wrong tho! I hope this is the new Mario we've all been waiting for. A true sequel to the likes of Galaxy or 64. If it is though then I don't understand the logic in releasing a title like that next to another of equal stature. And in the instance of Zelda we've already seen enough to know that the title is shaping up to be something special.

4 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

@deKay People keep saying that. Using it as proof that it's in some way the best way to launch a title. That's Apple, this is Nintendo. And a completely different market.

Who said it was best? I was simply saying that's how Apple do it, so not impossible Nintendo are taking a similar approach. They have said in the past they need to learn from companies like Apple.

5 minutes ago, Clipper said:

nah if we don't know something it doesn't mean that thing is true or untrue , its state is unknown to us.

If I told you I thought a tree in the forest over there had fallen down then that rumour could be true or untrue :P

if ya going to do the rumour flag thing do it right :D

You are correct. But we can't say it IS true if we don't know!

1 minute ago, deKay said:

You are correct. But we can't say it IS true if we don't know!

good thing I said "IF it is true"... you even highlighted it :P

And you replied say it ISN'T true and you can't say that cos you don't know :P

4 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Or, it's only just been finished up and they are frantically trying to have it ready - if they do it'll be there at launch, it they don't it'll be after. Clearly the effort for NoE is bigger than that required by NoA given the additional languages etc. It's not as simple as it just being finished at NoJ and NoE being able to puff it out 2 days later - planned translation or not, they have to have the finished content in order to get going. If NoJ were later getting done than expected, then the impact is bigger on NoE than NoA.

Also, let's not make out the mixed messages are coming from Nintendo anyway - they've not said a word. The only people changing their story here are Eurogamer.

As things stand right now, if I had to guess I reckon Mario Switch will simply be a retooling of the WiiU's 3D World. New levels maybe, but the same essential structure. I certainly don't think it will be the all new, completely redesigned Mario that a lot of people have been hoping for.

9 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

As things stand right now, if I had to guess I reckon Mario Switch will simply be a retooling of the WiiU's 3D World. New levels maybe, but the same essential structure. I certainly don't think it will be the all new, completely redesigned Mario that a lot of people have been hoping for.

I hope it isn't, I enjoyed the time I had with 3D Land and World, but wouldn't ever consider going back to pay them again, unlike many of the others in the series, but as long as it's better than Sunshine, I'll be happy :)

17 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

Nintendo has a severe leak problem

Do they? Because it feels like Switch was kept pretty much covered up until pretty late in the date - certainly compared to stuff like Neo and Scorpio. We've got some stuff, but come on it's hardly been totally exposed and laid bare. We're literally days away from the big reveal and there is still loads we just don't know.

In the grand scheme, Nintendo keeps secrets like no other (annoyingly).

Nah, we basically had the full idea of what it was long before it was announced, same with Wii U. The only thing we didn't know about either was the actual level of power in the box. It's because they switched manufacturing from Panasonic to Foxconn after the Wii and China doesn't give a shit about your corporate secrets.