Nintendo Switch

deKay

18 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I know I sure feel more engaged with a game when someone references doge. Haha, check it out it's a dog and there's broken phrases like he can't speak proper English because he's a dog and they've spelt it with an 'e'! Thanks NoA, won't forget that cracker in a while! Now make Luigi say a Dolan line!

The worst thing about this is that I would love a Dolan Luigi game.

...I'll take ten!

3 minutes ago, deKay said:

I've not ordered it from Amazon. It'll be fine.

Speaking of Amazon, the "guaranteed before 1pm" last week which never turned up got sent out again "guaranteed before 1pm" today. It's now gone 2, and if Amazon's tracking is correct, it's still in Manchester.

Other "out for delivery 29th November" still showing as such, but they refunded me so...

I can see both sides to the translation thing, really. It mostly affects OCD folk, though. Makes you imagine you are not getting the full experience.

I love my memes, yet making it as accessible as possible should indeed be the first priority, especially when you are selling products to millions, and are generally targeting the young demographic to boot.

One translation, with greater care (not too many memes but not void of real life either), should be enough. Paper Mario 1/2 was amazing at this. I wonder if US/EU English differed even back then.

4 hours ago, kensei said:

I hope the Switch severely limits patches. It's seriously ruining my gaming experience more than any number of bugs. I don't have a connection any more where repeated gigabyte downloads are feasible.

Fuck, imagine, an actual plug in and plays system. It'd be like having an actual games console.

I can understand this. There's a lot of sentiments going around like "consoles are just shit PCs now, with all the installation and patches, why can't they just release a finished product?". But that's not how software development works; nothing is ever finished, and games are no exception. There are always going to be things that need doing, but at some point you have to push it out the door. I remember watching an interview with the guys who directed The Last of Us, where they basically said they can't play their games because all they see is what's missing and what they could have added or improved, and maybe given 10 years they could go back to it with fresh eyes. If they have a few months between "going gold" and the actual release of the game, you can absolutely bet they are going to use that time. PS4 and XB1 users are going to get the benefit of that work, and it's just how the industry operates at this point. If Nintendo forces patches to be very small, their customers are just going to end up playing inferior versions of games, or not playing them at all.

Here's a good piece about why patches aren't the problem, physical media is: http://kotaku.com/why-day-one-patches-are-so-common-1784967193

As someone with mediocre ADSL2 broadband who gets most of his games via Steam, I get why downloads aren't the holy grail for many people (yet). However as I said before, because this is a portable you could take it somewhere with a faster connection, or Nintendo could've worked out some in-store solution using the wi-fi or usb-c connectivity on the Switch. I guess this still isn't ideal for people who live in remote locations, and don't have much in the way of retail outlets near them or a half decent internet connection. But for me, even having to download massive titles like The Witcher 3 and GTA V overnight on PC isn't so bad, because I know once it's done, I'm getting the best available version of the game, and it'll be ready to play within minutes of the download finishing. Physical media gives the promise of that, without the need to download no less, but it's never going to be a promise that can be delivered on unfortunately.

3 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

I think that's completely crazy personally. 2 months from reveal to release? With Nintendo's track record? Insane, totally insane.

I hope I'm wrong tho! I hope this is the new Mario we've all been waiting for. A true sequel to the likes of Galaxy or 64. If it is though then I don't understand the logic in releasing a title like that next to another of equal stature. And in the instance of Zelda we've already seen enough to know that the title is shaping up to be something special.

We've already had the reveal! What we don't have are the finer details. Is there anything other than price that would make a difference to most people if they knew it more than two months before release? Staggering details helps to create a buzz. The games community know it's coming. Convincing a section of that to buy it is another thing, but I don't think more than two months of hype would make much difference. Reaching outside of that is another thing, but I think that will take some time anyway as there isn't enough of a "gimmick" to reach the same people that played the Wii. Unless they're holding back something in that regard, in which case maybe they should have announced it sooner. 

The Wii U launch was a catalogue of errors and continued to have bad marketing throughout its life. I'd been following information about it and even when it came out it wasn't clear to me if there were going to be extra screens available to buy or if you'd be able to use it away from the console. The reveal video had a clear message of what it's USP is how it can be used.

What's everybody expecting from this event then? Personally I want to know...

- Price.

- Power.

- Capacity, as in on-board or addable (that's not even a word, is it?) storage.

- Launch line-up and release window schedule.

- What kind of third party support.

- Online infrastructure such as multiplayer functionality, digital stores, social, etc.

And my main worries are...

- Price.

- Power.

- Capacity, as in on-board or addable (that's not even a word, is it?) storage.

- Launch line-up and release window schedule.

- What kind of third party support.

- Online infrastructure such as multiplayer functionality, digital stores, social, etc.

30 minutes ago, Shoes said:

240072.jpg

?

I haven't heard anything about no cameras allowed.

For a start, this is well past the reveal and of course people are gonna be filming it surely? Unless they take phones off EVERYONE!

Also: I left it too late to claim and now the 1pm-7pm ones have gone. Have booked sunday morning tickets and will try and get there... somehow.

7 hours ago, deKay said:

Wii owners haven't moved to mobile games, and they've not stopped playing games either: They're still playing games. On their Wii. They've just not bought any new ones in years.

Is this a measured thing?

N=1, but my mother in law donated her Wii (having got caught up in the original Wii Fit craze) a few months back. I went out and bought Mario Galaxy and Zelda, obviously. I struggle though, it looks naff on my LCD TV. Some of the back-end services have been shut down too, affecting tiles, almost like you're better off the machine directly booting into the inserted game.

I tried, but I largely forget about it until I occasionally notice the yellow standby LED and curse the wasted idle electricity.

Switch, though - excited for that. Probably some of the kids' enthusiasm for Pokemon having effect on me. 

9 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Is this a measured thing?

No, he's talking bollocks.

If everyone was still playing it it wouldn't have died so quickly after four years, most were collecting dust well before then.

VV: Sales figures, Nintendo shutting down services due to lack of demand?

3 hours ago, Xevious said:

One of the reasons they do this - and many other companies do as well - is because in Europe the English game will be played by thousands of people for who English is not their first language.  By making it a little more simple in structure, they increase the accessibility.

I think you will find English is not the first language of the majority of NOA customers, as shown in the pictures..

32 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

I haven't heard anything about no cameras allowed.

For a start, this is well past the reveal and of course people are gonna be filming it surely? Unless they take phones off EVERYONE!

Also: I left it too late to claim and now the 1pm-7pm ones have gone. Have booked sunday morning tickets and will try and get there... somehow.

Don't worry if you can't make it......

19 hours ago, Majora said:

I can't see a scenario in which the Switch is a massive mainstream success but I don't think Nintendo are expecting the numbers they were hitting in 2008. At least, they shouldn't be. 

I don't think Ubisoft got that particular memo, you have to wonder who has given them that hope as they seem the most committed to the idea out of all the major publishers.

We have done a lot of products and successes with Nintendo in the past, and we believe that the NX will recapture a lot the lapsed Wii players. So we will see when they release it, but we are confident.

5 hours ago, rgraves said:

The N64 was coming off the back of the SNES though. I think 30-40 million for Switch coming off the back of Wii U would be decent. It has the potential to go higher, but I think 30-40m would be very solid indeed for them really.

But that hypothetical sales figure projection takes into account consolidating both portable and home console userbases so it is a similar situation to the N64 comparison, so a similar proportional drop in userbase between generations and it would be the worst selling portable device they've put out if it can't even clear 60 Million (though I think the whole one pillar meme is stupid, Iwata much more likely meant they were going to do an iOS, nobody retreats if they can expand, and Nintendo ain't that stupid, just glacial in waking up to reality)