Nintendo Switch

deKay

I'll get burned for this but I'm convinced that the Switch is a stop-gap console in the minds of Nintendo. It's inevitable that they bring their worlds in some sort of VR/AR hybrid, where their catalog lends so well to those technologies. Nintendo has always been about reinventing their brands to fit new technology. For the first several years of this VR rebirth, stylized cartoony games will lend very well to VR and that fits in line with so many Nintendo games. At first I was thinking that E3 2017 theywould announce a VR add-on but I'm suspecting that the specs revealed next week will crush that prediction. I think 2019 is the year when Nintendo will be ready, VR will be in a much better place and by then there shouldn't be too many obstacles in making VR instant and comfortable. They had an identity crisis with WiiU, Switch gives them a new chance to address that problem and possibly have a popular machine again with an accessible back catalog of great wiiU games that were missed, have a better quality product (less toy like) and finally they now can have a popular console so that people buy their new games in big numbers.

Someone, somewhere within that company someone is 100% working on a VR/AR capable 'propper' successor to the original Wii.

17 minutes ago, Capwn said:

I'll get burned for this but I'm convinced that the Switch is a stop-gap console in the minds of Nintendo. It's inevitable that they bring their worlds in some sort of VR/AR hybrid, where their catalog lends so well to those technologies. Nintendo has always been about reinventing their brands to fit new technology. For the first several years of this VR rebirth, stylized cartoony games will lend very well to VR and that fits in line with so many Nintendo games. At first I was thinking that E3 2017 theywould announce a VR add-on but I'm suspecting that the specs revealed next week will crush that prediction. I think 2019 is the year when Nintendo will be ready, VR will be in a much better place and by then there shouldn't be too many obstacles in making VR instant and comfortable. They had an identity crisis with WiiU, Switch gives them a new chance to address that problem and possibly have a popular machine again with an accessible back catalog of great wiiU games that were missed, have a better quality product (less toy like) and finally they now can have a popular console so that people buy their new games in big numbers.

Someone, somewhere within that company someone is 100% working on a VR/AR capable 'propper' successor to the original Wii.

I think you are mostly right, the only bit I disagree with is the 'stopgap' part - I think this machine is going to be the machine until the VR supporting machine comes out, will it be as long as 5 years? unikley but then it will just be the portable machine by then with bonus connect to a telly feature.

In 3-5 years time the hardware we actually need to power VR will be affordable and Nintendo will jump in with some surprises, having played on PSVR and Vive I am very much wanting more and will pick up a PSVR this year but its pretty clear on both setups that we are at the start of this journey and need loads more power to do it justice in full games - my mates Vive setup must be close to 2.5k and its a huge stepdown from PS4 graphics in the headset, the immersion is stunning and even with the PSVR you forget the ps2/3 level graphics pretty quickly!

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

I don't think Ubisoft got that particular memo, you have to wonder who has given them that hope as they seem the most committed to the idea out of all the major publishers.

But that hypothetical sales figure projection takes into account consolidating both portable and home console userbases so it is a similar situation to the N64 comparison, so a similar proportional drop in userbase between generations and it would be the worst selling portable device they've put out if it can't even clear 60 Million (though I think the whole one pillar meme is stupid, Iwata much more likely meant they were going to do an iOS, nobody retreats if they can expand, and Nintendo ain't that stupid, just glacial in waking up to reality)

Such a typical post from you Mushashi - 'I wonder what has given Ubisoft hope' is your opening gambit as clearly Nintendo are doooooomed.

But then you immediately go on to say that "it would be the worst selling portable device they've put out if it can't even clear 60 Million".

So, you've answered your own stuff by being negative in both instances - the thing that's giving Ubisoft hope is that Nintendo pretty much own the portable market and traditionaly shift a very high volume of units there - so if Switch can capture part of that, there's software to be sold and money to be made.

So you decide which it is that you want to argue - Ubisoft are bonkers, or Nintendo should be expected to easily clear 50+m pieces of hardware?

2 hours ago, Shoes said:

rumourklaxon.gif

The Wii died a death because it already did what all the users wanted. It played bowling and tennis. No more games were bought because the Wii was just for these things.

1 hour ago, joe bazooka said:

It's such a shame people are so intent on hating the Switch that they've resorted to poor sales figures. They can't say the machine doesn't look top banana so they're scrabbling around. It won't sell more than this figure i just pulled out my ass!!

Mark me well, when this fucking thing sells a billion the same ugly faces will be posting some fucking bullshit about attach rates.

Attach rates, the last refuge of the damned.

Anyway, I don't want to hear anymore negativity about Nintendo's spectacular new hybrid console.

Hello mate, what are you most looking forward to about the Nintendo Switch?

For me, it's a brand new Zelda. Although I'll be playing that firmly on my TV and not on the bus. I'll probably just give it to my kids after that.

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

A story on how their original rumour about it being delayed is probably wrong now and that it might be released later in Europe than other territories, but "it remains to be seen."

I really hope the 12th and 13th puts an end to this fucking speculation.

I don't like this narrative the Wii was for old people and Candycrush players. My favourite console ever. Mario! ExciteTruck! Little King's Story! Wii Sports!

I don't play my Wii anymore, because, like, it's old and they don't even make games for it. I haven't gone anywhere though. I'm still here. Just because I fucking love Forza 3 doesn't mean I've moved.

I don't move, the world moves around me. Same with iPhone gamers. Yeah I'm playing Crossy Road now but you show me something compelling like Nintendo's sensational new handheld and imma take a look at it.

'Moved' suggests they've established themselves somewhere and it will take a massive upheaval to buy a Switch. Because they'll have to move sgain. That's not the case. It's not a house. It's an entertainment device. Now this assumes Nintendo will make compelling software - more tetris or Brain Training or Wii Sports than Zelda - but who would put that past them?