Nintendo Switch

deKay

Do we get our own games straight away after brexit ? Furopean languages fucking with my day 1 zelda.....

Anyway, this thing is going to be mega and I shall tell you why......it is ALL to do with getting the mum's on board. This happened with the wii, absolutely every mum I know was mad keen on it. Somehow it managed to just tick all the boxes.......family fun, cheap, gimmicky (something to talk to other mums about), safe, and just happened to launch with the mother of all games (wii sports and cooking mama) to demonstrate it / show off to others in a family get together style...

queue thousands of 'have you played bowling yet' chats in the playground while dropping the kids off etc....not to mention 'i've got one of those balance boards / wii fit'

Now Nintendo need to massively harness this powerful thing that gives not a fuck about Fifa, COD, GTA, Battlefield, Star Wars and anything else that is a more comfortable fit on the xbox two or PSPro.

They can shift tens of millions of units purely on the fact that dad can play a portable game of mario on the kitchen table with the kids while the mum gets on with a bit of 'me time' in the living room. Dad spends more quality time with the kids, every one is happy.

It's going to be fucking massive, but they need to aim for the mums as soon as possible. Free mario games on their iphones is an absolute master stroke. Pokemon Go was the first genius.

Pokemon sun and moon have broken records all over the place. Nintendo's biggest ever xmas seller etc...is this kids all asking for it ???? Or is this parents going ahead and just getting on board the nintendo / pokemon train which they themselves were all over earlier this year.

ITS GOING TO BE FUCKING MASSIVE.

Spoiler

parappa_propaganda_by_blinkstale-d33enr5

6 minutes ago, sid said:

Do we get our own games straight away after brexit ? Furopean languages fucking with my day 1 zelda.....

Anyway, this thing is going to be mega and I shall tell you why......it is ALL to do with getting the mum's on board. This happened with the wii, absolutely every mum I know was mad keen on it. Somehow it managed to just tick all the boxes.......family fun, cheap, gimmicky (something to talk to other mums about), safe, and just happened to launch with the mother of all games (wii sports)

Stopped reading there as it didn't say Cooking Mama. 

20 hours ago, sonixtorm said:

I suspect this is a part of the reason why Nintendo has put so much effort into Super Mario Run, and potentially the timing of its release.

I expect you're right, but I'm not sure how much of a concern its conversion rate is, and also:

19 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

I'm not even that fussed it's portable considering i rarely take my 3ds out the house at all.

I've been hearing this from loads of people. I like the idea of a portable for its freedom around the house (wee bungalow), but if you offered me a powerful console instead then I'd happily forgo that. I understand Nintendo's plan to unify their software, but the price of holding back their console games might be too high if the portable market's falling away.

4 hours ago, Escaped said:

I expect you're right, but I'm not sure how much of a concern its conversion rate is, and also:

I've been hearing this from loads of people. I like the idea of a portable for its freedom around the house (wee bungalow), but if you offered me a powerful console instead then I'd happily forgo that. I understand Nintendo's plan to unify their software, but the price of holding back their console games might be too high if the portable market's falling away.

I don't wanna hear this. Yeah yeah, you don't want a portable. You never fucking use them.

You think maybe the reason you don't use them is because never before have they offered the full-blown gaming experience which seemlessly transfers to the big screen in your man cave??

You're saying you don't use something which doesn't yet exsist and that is extremely short-sighted.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

Hang on, wasn't 'It'll be a massive success because I can play Mario while the wife watches Strictly!' exactly what people were saying at the Wii U launch on here. Didn't exactly turn out to be a killer USP.

There was already a way to play Mario whilst the wife watched Strictly called the 3DS. This time there is no portable companion to the Switch, it's just the Switch. It's your Wii U and 3DS in one box.

Yes, but what people were giddy in the pre-release Wii U thread at the time was being able to play full-fat Nintendo games while wife/mother/carer hogged the TV. The Switch is different in that its properly portable and not tethered to the base station. But it's still a bit weird to see that argument for success wheeled out again.

22 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Yes, but what people were giddy in the pre-release Wii U thread at the time was being able to play full-fat Nintendo games while wife/mother/carer hogged the TV. The Switch is different in that its properly portable and not tethered to the base station. But it's still a bit weird to see that argument for success wheeled out again.

The thing is that part of the functionality was completely ignored by Nintendo and their marketing and it was only users realising after they already had one that you could do offscreen play on some games (not every game supports it) It seems Nintendo has actually looked at what worked about the WiiU and have doubled down on it rather than throw the baby out with the bath water. 

WiiU strategy from Nintendo was all about second screen experience rather than portability but if you asked actual users what their favourite thing about the WiiU was I'm sure "Zelda in bed" would rank pretty highly.

.....wait that sounds wrong.

This thread demonstrates plenty of the things that failed with Nintendo's strategy with the Wii U (and the 3DS in the early days).

So many negative thoughts like: "I don't want a handheld / 3D / a big touch screen controller"

Which turns into "I don't need a handheld / 3D / a big touch screen controller"

Which turns into "I'm not buying one"

So many non-gaming friends - the sort that marvelled at me when I had a launch day Wii, and marvelled again when I had a launch day Wii Fit, simply questioned me when I bought a launch day 3DS and a launch day Wii U.

Is the 3D any good?  What's the point.  I heard it makes you ill and you can't move your head 10cm without it looking crap.

They are saying it's not recommended for kids.

Actually, the same happened with my prior to launch day imported DS - why does it need 2 screens etc..

People on here seem to forget that the Wii buying public - the ones that Switch wants to grab, aren't video gamers looking for the next Famitsu 40, they are looking for the latest gimmick that's all over the news.  The normal news, that's on at 6pm and tells normal people about normal things.  They want the thing that the Jones's have.  They have money for it, and they are willing to pay for it.  But most of all, they want to have fun.

Why did the Wii U fail? I believe it was partly because by the time it was released, the Wii was already gathering dust in peoples cupboards, but also because the Wii U didn't do anything new.  In fact, it did more or less the same.  It even used the same controllers (which equates to doing the same thing in non-gamers eyes).

The 3DS did the same thing.  2 screens was the gimmick.  Wait, you're making ANOTHER 2 screen console, that must be the same thing, but with 3D this time, ok.  So it's a DS with 3D.  

Except it's not.

It's a portal into the latest offerings from Nintendo.

It's ok.  I'm done now.  I've found my ticket for the Hype Train!!

I must admit the majority of the time I used my wii u on the gamepad itself rather than the TV, so that's nice i guess. Being able to take it around the house to play will be good too (although my wii u works fine in that department too) - it will just be the fact i doubt i'll actually use it much outside the house.

Oh, apparently the VR headset for the Switch is a thing (rumor) , but surely the resolution isn't that great for a device, despite perhaps being the perfect device to do it on.

12 hours ago, Spainkiller said:

EDIT: That said, to deny that a lot of Wii owners have moved on to Facebook and mobile, is a bit thick. They clearly have.

Just in case that's aimed at me - I wasn't, and have never, argued that a lot of Wii owners didn't move to facebook and mobile. I argued that not *all* of them did, and that there was a significant part of the Wii audience that didn't. I argued that there was, and is, a significant part of the Wii audience that didn't go anywhere. They are not gaming now, and won't until something else as revolutionary (and simple to grasp) as the Wii comes along again (and before anyone says it, that's not looking like Switch either).

Let me put it this way, this is what I think happened:

wii_mobile_venn.png

And this is what I don't think happened:

wii_mobile_venn_2.png

11 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Just the one platform, connected to a telly for people like me, and usable as a handheld for people who have a dominant wife / girlfriend that doesn't allow mancaves or gaming time on the living room telly. I haven't been this excited about a Nintendo console since the lovely GameCube!

Doesn't  Wii U do exactly the same thing for you?

No, because certain games are exclusive to the 3DS. With the Switch everything is developed for the one console, so you don't get stuff like the Fire Emblem games being 3DS only. Which means he can play them on the big screen at home, the way he wants to play them.

5 minutes ago, Napole0n said:

I do hope the Switch will be as good a handheld as the 3DS is though. It's a lot bulkier, no clamshell design, those removable controller parts might be vulnerable. I prefer a handheld I can put in my pocket.

Aside from the Gameboy Micro when has that ever happened? 

10 hours ago, robotattack said:

What is this meant to be showing other than someone with an account of 6 posts and no followers asking for information on a game they apparently know is being developed by "Nintendo of Japan" (sic)? :mellow:

That's Emily Rogers, who's rumours have turned out to be true 30% of the time!