Nintendo Switch

deKay

24 minutes ago, Napole0n said:

People don't buy Nintendo for third party titles.

I think previous consoles you may have been right however the prospect playing current gen third parties on the go is something that would be a huge selling point especially as that is one thing that PS4/XB1 can't do and will never be able to do.

18 hours ago, Alex W. said:

If only someone sold a powerful home console for games. 

The only new game I played last year was Street Fighter V, and that wasn't for long. This year I'll buy Tekken 7, WipEout Omega and Everybody's Golf. And if Red Dead Redemption 2's optimised for the Scorpio then I might go for that, else the PS4 copy.

All of those are sequels, so you can understand why I'd like the Switch to be current-gen powerful if Nintendo bring some new IPs to it. I think it's a shame that the dock won't act as a booster, with its own GPU for a Hybrid CrossFire approach.

The Switch is going to be more powerful than the Wii U. The Wii U was able to run Mass Effect 3. If i can easily carry around a console that will let me play games of that calibre then I honestly couldn't give a flying fuck if it doesn't have all the extra sparkles. I have a PS4 for that shit and so do most of the people here who are complaining that it isn't comparable power-wise. It's a teeny tablet ffs.

It's a simple enough question: would you rather it had more power? The economic answer depends on pricing, but IGPs are quite cheap as far as I know.

It's a feeling that Nintendo have made it harder for themselves commercially as much as a complaint.

Of course it's going to be more powerful than the Wii U - however I think that will be when it's in "docked" mode with everything turned up to 11. 

In "portable" mode - who knows, but I'd think it would be at least as powerful as the Wii U is - maybe a few graphical features are switched off and the resolution is capped at 720p, but hopefully you don't notice as its on a small screen.

33 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Well it'd have to be as powerful as a wiiu to run Zelda. 

I'm more concerned by battery life than power. If it had over 5 hours that'd be brilliant, doubt it though. 

Buy a 20,000mAh power bank and you'll have around 20 hours, or more if you play with reduced brightness. Stick it in your bag and forget about it until it needs an overnight recharge. The only inconvenience is having the USB cable coming out of your bag when in use.

http://global.mi.com/en/item/3160700004

I can't go anywhere without mine, and that's just for my phone and 3DS. It's made battery capacities a non-issue, and I've never ran lower than a full charge on anything since owning one (as a habit I'm always plugged in, even at 100%).

10 hours ago, Napole0n said:

People don't buy Nintendo for third party titles.

It'd be nice to have the choice, The NES and SNES benefited greatly back when Japanese developers like Konami. Capcom, Irem and Taito used to make games :lol::(

I'm still waiting for Actraiser 3...

7 hours ago, bobontheway said:

The Switch is going to be more powerful than the Wii U. The Wii U was able to run Mass Effect 3. If i can easily carry around a console that will let me play games of that calibre then I honestly couldn't give a flying fuck if it doesn't have all the extra sparkles. I have a PS4 for that shit and so do most of the people here who are complaining that it isn't comparable power-wise. It's a teeny tablet ffs.

The trouble is that publishers aren't making games for consoles that powerful any more, and a single console is certainly not going to get new planet hopping extravaganzas of the type that had to launch on three platforms to turn a profit.

10 hours ago, DarkCrisis said:

I think previous consoles you may have been right however the prospect playing current gen third parties on the go is something that would be a huge selling point especially as that is one thing that PS4/XB1 can't do and will never be able to do.

Unless you have a vita , obvs. 

The Vita had great potential but Sony gave up on it after 2 years and the big western third party either released poor versions of their games(i.e. Borderlands), alternate versions of their consoles games(i.e. COD Declassified) or completed ignored the console all together.

Without an R2/L2 button and having to rely on have a solid internet connection means remote play is not an option most people are interested in I'm afraid.

My point still stands to be able to play the latest big 3rd party games on the go would be a big selling point for a lot of people.

If people buy it, the games from 3rd parties will come, if those games are any good or not is still up for debate.

As it is, Nintendo will release some good games, maybe some new IP and their second party studios will release stuff as well.

It will be designed for the system Nintendo are releasing, so will mostly look and play good.

Personally, I'd like it to be a powerhouse, but that's not going to happen, instead it will be cheap to make, cheap to buy and presumably easy to program for, making games easier to push out on it and cheaper will entice a lot of smaller devs to it.

Does it really matter though? I imagine that almost everyone in this thread is likely to buy one, even if the rest of the world thinks it's shit / under powered / a gimmick etc, and personally I can't wait till it arrives and it's set up next to the rest of my consoles, it's bar far the best looking console / tablet / hand held system I've seen lately.

Exactly. I think everybody on Rllmuk, even if they're not blown away with the specs will begrudgingly buy one.

Ah, I'll probably get one. That sentiment.

Only people who won't are Mishimoshi and Shrew. Even Napoleon will get one but claim it's for his kids.

Actually Mashimishi probably will get one and love it. But he won't tell anybody. Be his secret shame like when Squidward told the world he hated Krabby Patties.

Another reason this will do better than a traditional console. Say my kid asked for one. You have an Xbox one, you little prick, i'd respond.

But this is DIFFERENT, he'd reply.

Gonna revise my total shipment figures. 119 million units. 

It only needs a little bit of support, in the form of sports games mainly. I'm not expecting COD, Battlefield, Destiny or Overwatch to help much. Nintendo will kill it with their studios all focused on just the one platform anyway.

I reckon a ratio of 70/30 between first and third party offerings will suffice.

1 hour ago, DarkCrisis said:

The Vita had great potential but Sony gave up on it after 2 years and the big western third party either released poor versions of their games(i.e. Borderlands), alternate versions of their consoles games(i.e. COD Declassified) or completed ignored the console all together.

Without an R2/L2 button and having to rely on have a solid internet connection means remote play is not an option most people are interested in I'm afraid.

My point still stands to be able to play the latest big 3rd party games on the go would be a big selling point for a lot of people.

But the opportunity to play the latest big 3rd party games didn't work out for the Vita.  There weren't enough early adopters and so it didn't really happen.  I can't really see what's different here.  I think the Switch looks great and I'll end up getting one, but I can't see it selling well enough at the start to get the ball rolling to big third party success.  Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

Yeah, if Nintendo didn't make any games for the Switch then I could see it suffering the same fate as the Vita. But Zelda, Mario + Kart, Pokemon etc.

I hope they don't pull any shit with Skyrim. With the WiiU they released two big 3rd party games. That Batman one and Need for Speed.

You'd hope they'd learnt the lesson that a 6 month old game is not going to sell well. Regardless of platform.

Skyrim is not going to sell well.