Nintendo Switch

deKay

1 hour ago, Camel said:

But the opportunity to play the latest big 3rd party games didn't work out for the Vita.  There weren't enough early adopters and so it didn't really happen.  I can't really see what's different here.  I think the Switch looks great and I'll end up getting one, but I can't see it selling well enough at the start to get the ball rolling to big third party success.  Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

I think the lack of R2/L2 and clickable analog sticks was a big reason why we didn't get more 3rd party ports in the early years of the Vita, having to rethink controls schemes with only a touchscreen as a replacement solution, developers want things as easy as possible. If the developer can take a port and not change anything but graphically settings then it's 100% a programmer job and won't involve any design input which would make the whole process a lot more straightforward.

I am not convinced that we will get a lot of 3rd party support especially after the first year from western publishers and I'm OK with that as I think with Nintendos output past/present it's enough to warranty the purchase in my opinion.

3 hours ago, joe bazooka said:

They made a new much more powerful Vita? Sony certainly kept that quiet! I've got one of the old ones that plays a handheld, stripped down version of Uncharted and a crap version of Motorstorm.

Well, no. My point was Vita has remote play . 

7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Course it will. A truly portable version of one of the best RPGs of all time.

A 6 year old game that everyone that wants to play it already has it on one or maybe two platforms. I can't see it setting the world alight . 

I certainly can't see people buying a switch to play it .

5 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

A 6 year old game that everyone that wants to play it already has it on one or maybe two platforms. I can't see it setting the world alight . 

I certainly can't see people buying a switch to play it .

No one is making out it will be a system seller, but a lovely addition to the library. There'll be a fanbase out there who welcome a portable version.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

No one is making out it will be a system seller, but a lovely addition to the library. There'll be a fanbase out there who welcome a portable version.

And it's main function will be to communicate to the public that you can play full-fat games on the go with this new console. 

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

Well, no. My point was Vita has remote play . 

How well does that actually work over the internet? I have trouble keeping a stable connection with it over local Wi-Fi. Not to mention the lower resolution, the fiddling because of the absence of two shoulder buttons and the constant need of an internet connection. It's not the same.

Even using remote play for PlayStation and Xbox on a PC isn't that good an experience.

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

I doubt the Switch is capable of running the latest big third party games 

Take a look at this footage of Rise of the Tomb Raider, ported to the Xbox 360: 

Perhaps this was helped by the presence of a PC version, meaning lower quality assets had been produced, and tiered graphical presets were already accounted for in the codebase. But I think this still shows you that in terms of gameplay, the current generation of consoles aren't really doing anything that couldn't be replicated on their predecessors, which are far less capable than the Switch. I think for games that are cross platform anyway, particularly if they're on PC (where if you look at Steam's surveys, you'll see that most gamers actually have relatively low-end hardware), porting to Switch will not be too onerous. It'll be more a question of whether it is worth the marketing and distribution costs, which will be down to how well the system sells. Many of these ports won't look exactly the same, true. But you have to wonder how many people will actually care about that, and how many will see the portability factor as more important.

4 hours ago, joe bazooka said:

Wonder if it'll have the cute little stuff like Freaky Forms.

Fuck, even Picross. Hope it does have a touch screen. And a stylus.

Touch screen and stylus for Picross? Are you high?

40 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

My experience has been the opposite. Remote Play over LAN is fine. When I've been at a hotel or hospital I've never had a good enough signal to start it up over the Internet.

That's practically the same rather than the opposite. :P I can use it over LAN, but at times the image will deteriorate in quality and when I was playing Watch Dogs 2 with it a month or so ago there were drops on a couple of occasions. That indicates a problem with my Wi-Fi, but my point was if it can't stable with that then it's not likely to be any better over the internet.

I have also tried it a couple of times over the internet and supposedly not had a strong enough signal to work. That's why I question how well it actually works doing it like that as I couldn't even get it to start.

What if.... What IF Nintendo were really smart and they'd have the 30 NES games free for those who pre-order the Switch? What IF Nintendo is even smarter than that and makes every NES, GB and GBA game free to try out and then you could purchase it (ocp Paypal please) if you want to keep on playing?, sort of how tablet/phone games work. 

:o

They should totally ditch the Virtual Console to be honest and have those who bothered with the VC be able to transfer their purchases to the new platform. Just for the love of god get yourself a new store front/system Nintendo. Something which has some semblance of the functionality and design of digital stores in 2017...