Nintendo Switch

deKay

32 minutes ago, robotattack said:

That's practically the same rather than the opposite. :P I can use it over LAN, but at times the image will deteriorate in quality and when I was playing Watch Dogs 2 with it a month or so ago there were drops on a couple of occasions. That indicates a problem with my Wi-Fi, but my point was if it can't stable with that then it's not likely to be any better over the internet.

I have also tried it a couple of times over the internet and supposedly not had a strong enough signal to work. That's why I question how well it actually works doing it like that as I couldn't even get it to start.

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you were saying that it wasn't very good over LAN.

8 minutes ago, VN1X said:

They should totally ditch the Virtual Console to be honest and have those who bothered with the VC be able to transfer their purchases to the new platform. Just for the love of god get yourself a new store front/system Nintendo. Something which has some semblance of the functionality and design of digital stores in 2017... 

Romour is VC games already relased on WiiU etc will require a small amount to purchase on the switch, like with the ones that were on Wii to WiiU. Basically £1.50 per game. However in possibly good news it's highly likely that the emulation on switch would be handled by NERD who did the SNES emulator on 3DS and the Mini NES as well as some other good ones.

The N64 emulator on the WiiU was terrible (even worse than the one on Wii) thanks to it's screen brightness being far too low. Still it was nice playing F-zero X on the gamepad even if the initial release of it had fucked up controls and needed to be patched

3 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Well, no. My point was Vita has remote play . 

Remote play is pretty terrible and I've spent hundreds of hours doing it, controls are fucked and there is too much lag to do anything competitive - I could HM Raid Destiny despite the limitations but as soon as you get online its far too laggy to be of any use.

The fact I've used it so much is the idea is sound just Sony fucked it with the Vita being a botch job in typical Sony fashion, how no one in Sony HQ didnt twig that it needed the same number of buttons as a PS3 or even PS2 heck even a PS1 is utterly beyond me - comparing a Switch to it is silly really.

It was annoying because I basically went for a PS4 because of Remote Play, and it turned out to be shite. Anything that uses either R3/L3, both sets of shoulder buttons, or makes use of the analogue shoulder buttons is shit, and that's not even considering the streaming performance. A couple of games worked well though - I played through most of Abe's Oddysee and The Witness using it.

There was a game I tried on it recently that was actually impossible to play - you had to hold some place on the touch screen plus move a stick on the same side to do something - and you couldn't reconfigure the controls.

6 minutes ago, denisb said:

will there be a version without the portability aspect i have zero interest in paying on anything but my telly 

ill buy either way but dont want portable 

Good news! All versions (SKUs) available on launch day are made to be connected to a telly. I'm going to get the same one :)

45 minutes ago, denisb said:

will there be a version without the portability aspect i have zero interest in paying on anything but my telly 

ill buy either way but dont want portable 

I'd be willing to bet there will be, but that's all it is, a bet. Nintendo probably won't want to confuse the "dual" nature of the platform until it's been out for a year or two, then they could announce cheaper handheld and console only versions if the system has been a success. It would be sort of like the 2DS, in that they would be cheaper variants for people who aren't interested in certain features.

There are lots of people in Japan who aren't really interested in console gaming, but will nonetheless find themselves buying a console in a few months. On the other hand, there will be lots of people like you in western markets. This is exactly what Nintendo are trying to do really; they want to merge these two customer bases so they can meet their needs more efficiently with a single platform.

2 hours ago, Liamness said:

Haha, wtf? It's been a while since I played but I'm pretty sure I used the stylus... how else do you do it?

With a dpad and buttons. God's Own Way.

1 hour ago, pulsemyne said:

It's fully capable of outputting 1080p. Of course it depends on the game but the console itself would have no problem.

Its fully capable of outputting 4K too, but that doesn't mean it will, or will be supported.

Speaking of d-pad.  Switch doesn't have one does it? It's basically just 4 separated buttons with arrows on them.

I assume this is for when you take the two sides of the switch and use them as two separate controllers for gaming?  I'll probably never use that feature, so I hope they release an interchangeable one with an actual d-pad.

43 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Good news! All versions (SKUs) available on launch day are made to be connected to a telly. I'm going to get the same one :)

Actually, we don't know this yet...

45 minutes ago, Paulando said:

There was a game I tried on it recently that was actually impossible to play - you had to hold some place on the touch screen plus move a stick on the same side to do something - and you couldn't reconfigure the controls.

That was Tearaway. And not even the PS4 one.

15 minutes ago, BruceBruce said:

Speaking of d-pad.  Switch doesn't have one does it? It's basically just 4 separated buttons with arrows on them.

I assume this is for when you take the two sides of the switch and use them as two separate controllers for gaming?  I'll probably never use that feature, so I hope they release an interchangeable one with an actual d-pad.

The Switch Pro controller, or whatever it's called, was shown in the announcement trailer and it has a normal d-pad. I'm definitely getting one, but I just hope they're available on launch day. I assume so, but as deKay would say: we don't know for sure.

deKay seems to know even less than Jon Snow!

59 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Dude, it's the only thing we know for 100% sure :lol: The Switch can be connected to a telly and used as a normal console.

But we don't know there won't be a portable-only "SKU".