Nintendo Switch

deKay

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

rumourklaxon.gif

Stick to the known and confirmed facts, please!

Exactly my point. You can't say "All versions (SKUs) available on launch day are made to be connected to a telly" when we don't know that.

49 minutes ago, deKay said:

Exactly my point. You can't say "All versions (SKUs) available on launch day are made to be connected to a telly" when we don't know that.

Unless they say otherwise, all we know right now is that there's one, confirmed, SKU - and that one is definitely made to be connected to a telly. Everything else, even the notion of alternative SKUs being considered, is (literally) baseless speculation. So until then all your SKU rumours are:

rumourklaxon.gif

If there's a version at launch that cannot connect to a TV, then the 'Switch' name ceases to be relevant, and the message becomes confused. I can definitely see them releasing a cheaper portable-only version a year or two down the road though, similar to the 2DS.

That's actually a very good point.  And there is mention of the bases being sold separately 6 months down the line for a "cheap fee".  So it's possible they could sell a portable-only version later, with the option of buying a base if someone changes their mind and wants to suddenly play on their tv.

But yea, no confirmations to speak of.  Nice idea though.

I think what they should definitely do a year or two from now when the technology is cheaper, is to make the Switch (which apparently runs on a custom version of android) smaller.  Perhaps the size of a phone.  And maybe even consider turning it into one.

So it could be called the Switch lite or Switch mobile.  (Or LiteSwitch, lel)

And it would still run the same games and whatnot, with the option of connecting it to a smaller base to be used on your television.  Better battery life, perhaps more expensive, since it's a phone and would be okay to compete in that market at a higher price.

But it would be able to play the same games on those cartridges, the screen would maintain the same resolution, just on a smaller screen.

When connected to your television, it could still act as a phone, making calls and texting as well as in-game notifications for calls and texts.

Seems like an inevitable evolution of this product, especially since Nintendo seems to want to compete in the mobile market.  With the added benefit of always having internet no matter where you went.

59 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Look at this mess:

The second one isn't too bad but the first one is a disaster, trying to show off too many features which are trivial at best and which no-one will ever use in lieu of one killer feature. It kind of sums up the problem with the console itself which is that it was trying to be too many things to too many people. Some really terrible ideas too, who gives a shit about putting the screen on the floor so you can see the golf ball?

You can see how the Switch can be advertised really easily around its main USP which already makes it ten times more marketable than the Wii U was. 

44 minutes ago, BruceBruce said:

I think what they should definitely do a year or two from now when the technology is cheaper, is to make the Switch (which apparently runs on a custom version of android) smaller.  Perhaps the size of a phone.  And maybe even consider turning it into one.

So it could be called the Switch lite or Switch mobile.  (Or LiteSwitch, lel)

And it would still run the same games and whatnot, with the option of connecting it to a smaller base to be used on your television.  Better battery life, perhaps more expensive, since it's a phone and would be okay to compete in that market at a higher price.

But it would be able to play the same games on those cartridges, the screen would maintain the same resolution, just on a smaller screen.

When connected to your television, it could still act as a phone, making calls and texting as well as in-game notifications for calls and texts.

Seems like an inevitable evolution of this product, especially since Nintendo seems to want to compete in the mobile market.  With the added benefit of always having internet no matter where you went.

How is making it smaller going to get you better battery life? That said, a Nintendo phone would be death. Who's giving up their iPhone for one of those?

12 hours ago, joe bazooka said:

They, in partnership with nvidia have, what, deliberately made it worse than it could be?

That phrasing comes across as a trap for an argument where there is none. All hardware choices are deliberate, so yes - they made it worse than it could be. Or else where do you stop, right? I don't know how much more expensive stronger hardware would've been, and I don't know if that would've been a good idea commercially, but I do know - just for myself - that I would've preferred something with a bit more kick.

12 hours ago, joe bazooka said:

They made a new much more powerful Vita? Sony certainly kept that quiet! I've got one of the old ones that plays a handheld, stripped down version of Uncharted and a crap version of Motorstorm.

To then rip into the Vita for its lack of power, when it was quite tasty at launch, is odd.

7 hours ago, Napole0n said:

Just imagine that you have to swap friend codes to be able to call your mum.

Switch will finally just do usernames instead of friend codes apparently.

7 hours ago, Napole0n said:

I like the idea of a smaller Switch for better portability, but the idea to turn it into a phone is madness.

Well phone service would be optional.. You could still just buy the smaller one for games and portability.  Or possibly just add a mobile internet service to it, so you're constantly online no matter where you are, instead of going pure phone service.  Plenty of internet providers offer just mobile internet for certain devices nowadays.

7 hours ago, Super Craig said:

How is making it smaller going to get you better battery life? That said, a Nintendo phone would be death. Who's giving up their iPhone for one of those?

I didn't say that.  I just meant they could release it with a better battery since it would be released at a later date.  If it's a couple years from now, I'm sure it could be fit with a more efficient battery.  And possibly a more power efficient chip with similar capabilities.

10 hours ago, Escaped said:

That phrasing comes across as a trap for an argument where there is none. All hardware choices are deliberate, so yes - they made it worse than it could be. Or else where do you stop, right? I don't know how much more expensive stronger hardware would've been, and I don't know if that would've been a good idea commercially, but I do know - just for myself - that I would've preferred something with a bit more kick.

To then rip into the Vita for its lack of power, when it was quite tasty at launch, is odd.

Mate, we'd all prefer things with a bit more kick. That goes without saying. I'd like my Fiat 500 to have thst many HPs.

The point about the Vita is it wasn't powerful enough to play PS3 games so get it the fuck out this thread.

11 hours ago, Super Craig said:

That said, a Nintendo phone would be death. Who's giving up their iPhone for one of those?

The thing is, we haven't seen any of the OS side yet. A lot depends on how advanced it is and to what degree they are gunning for the iPad audience. I think they could compete as a tablet, using proper games as a USP, and then it's not a huge stretch to imagine them building on that foundation to gain a foothold in the phone market, much as Apple went from the iPod to the iPhone to the iPad.

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

LOL

I mean, it's laughable to imagine Nintendo getting their act together.

But it makes sense to me.

Much of Nintendo's more casual audience has been eaten by Apple. The only reason it hasn't gone even further is Apple's apparent lack of interest in chasing the traditional games audience, resulting in limited support for physical controls, an unwillingness to encourage non-F2P business models, and Apple refusing to invest in first-party IPs while Nintendo still has some very strong brands, most notably Pokémon. This provides an opportunity for Nintendo.

In my view, either Nintendo is planning to directly take on Apple to win back some of the audience or they're consolidating their audience to increase their short-term profits for, what would effectively be, a managed decline. I certainly hope it's not the latter.

If I ran Nintendo and wanted to take on Apple, I would design a tablet-based games console and slowly build features onto it. The hardware overlap between a device like the Switch and a tablet is basically 100%. And, unlike a phone, people won't have the same expectations of a tablet at launch, where they will expect features like messaging, a music player and store, maps, fully-fledged photo support etc. Nintendo can easily sell it as Mario and Zelda system with a web-browser then add the functionality piece-by-piece, much like how Apple was able to launch a phone that didn't have 3rd party software support ready.

15 hours ago, VN1X said:

Look at this mess:

The first video still makes it seem like an accessory for the Wii. It starts off with a mario game that may as well have been on the Wii, then mentions new controller about 738 times. I can't believe anyone thought that was a good idea.