Nintendo Switch

deKay

5 minutes ago, dataDave said:

Well, let's face the facts: The Gamecube was for kids and didn't have any games, the Wii never had any real games, and the WiiU didn't have any games of any kind whatsoever. They've not really missed out on much.

66475959.jpeg

Imagine right you're on the bus and you sit beside a super hot girl, and you pull out your Switch and start playing. Then she says, oh man you've got a switch, me too, let's link up and play some Mario Kart or Rocket league and then you say, yeah sweet, maybe we could also go out sometime for a few drinks and she says yeah cool look forward to that and then she pulls out her switch and it's a bloody neon one and you're like sorry girlfriend just not gonna work out between us. 

Just now, the_debaser said:

Imagine right you're on the bus and you sit beside a super hot girl, and you pull out your Switch and start playing. Then she says, oh man you've got a switch, me too, let's link up and play some Mario Kart or Rocket league and then you say, yeah sweet, maybe we could also go out sometime for a few drinks and she says yeah cool look forward to that and then she pulls out her switch and it's a bloody neon one and you're like sorry girlfriend just not gonna work out between us. 

If anything it would work out better. You wouldn't get your joycons mixed up.

47 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

Well Edge agree with me so I can't be that mental. Stolen from Gaf:

As a portable, up against smart devices and their free games

I'm no Nintendo fanboy but that last point is nonsense surely?

Although I did see that there are approx 70m downloads of Super Mario Run and only $50m revenue. So people are happy to try it but most don't want to pay to carry on playing it. 

49 minutes ago, robotattack said:

What's out of date? The only part that's different now is that a few indie games have been added to the launch line-up and even the inclusion of those hasn't made it particularly strong. 

And the cost thing was PS4 Pro or PSVR, the point being that you could invest that kind of money elsewhere rather than Nintendo's latest potential box of folly.

There are bad decisions in isolation that only look worse in a wider context. At launch, a Switch with Breath of the Wild will set you back £340, and that buys the fan of videogames an awful lot in 2017. Add an extra tenner and it will give you PS4 Pro or PSVR hardware. You could buy a Slim PS4 with Uncharted 4 and keep £140 in your pocket. You could get an Xbox One S with similar cash to spare., or leave it all in the bank and put it towards Microsoft's Scorpio - which, as its maker is so keen to remind us, will be the most powerful console in the entire universe. 

That end paragraph completely discounts the fact that Zelda is a massively popular franchise on a completely different level to Uncharted 4. I could buy a 2DS and Pokemon Sun for about £80 right now but I wouldn't be playing Zelda would I?

The PS4 has games I want to play but it'll never have Zelda. So I'll spend my money to play games I want to rather than save money and buy games that dont appeal.

16 minutes ago, dataDave said:

Well, let's face the facts: The Gamecube was for kids and didn't have any games, the Wii never had any real games, and the WiiU didn't have any games of any kind whatsoever. They've not really missed out on much.

Really? Really?

13 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

"When I was a Nintendo, I spoke as a Nintendo, I understood as a Nintendo, I thought as a Nintendo: but when I became a Playstation, I put away Nintendo things."

:(

“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

21 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

Well Edge agree with me so I can't be that mental. Stolen from Gaf:

This is literally the same recycled arguments across the board (not that some of them don't bear any weight) and have been since the reveal presentation on the 13th Jan. Lets have a look at each point.

Launch day lineup is slim pickings

Third party support worse than at Wii U launch

Splatoon 2 and MK8 should have been launch games but being used to pad out barren post-launch schedule

Led to believe that combining home console and portable businesses would get more games and that they'd come quicker but not the case

Console priced higher than hoped and no pack-in to soften the blow

Games and accessories are too expensive

Paid online service with one free rotating game among the bad decisions

Switch + Zelda is around same price as PS4 Pro and PSVR and significantly more expensive than PS4 Slim or Xbox One S with game

As a portable, up against smart devices and their free games

*Everyone knows the launch lineup is slim pickings.

*What they are really saying here is EA and Activision aren't fully on board yet. There's a lot of 3rd party support just not from the big boys yet. This is not unexpected due to the Wii U's failings. You have to realise relationships have to be rebuilt. Console selling well will help.

*Can't disagree too much that MK8 at least should have been a launch title, Splatoon 2 might not be finished yet.

*Over 100 games in development.

*Honestly don't see a huge issue with £279.99 i'd imagine it would have been £250 if not for brexit. Pack in game would have been nice.

*Game prices for the PS4 & XB1 were rrp £59.99, quickly dropped to regular £40-50 as have the Switch games. Accessories are priced a little higher than expected.

*We don't have the full details about the online service yet, we have heard a rumour that prices it cheaper than PS4/XB1 services. 

*Misleading statement considering this is a new concept and yet being compared to old consoles which target a different demographic and chase PC power. Nintendo have openly said they are not following suit. (even if some aspects they really should, like online and account management)

*Mobile gaming IMO is shit and is not a valid comparison to handheld/console gaming.

14 hours ago, Majora said:

I sold my PSVR because I felt like the tech wasn't quite there yet so the thought of VR with the Switch doesn't appeal at all. It isn't just about the screen resolution but also about how the visuals take a big hit in VR. VR games have to run at locked 60fps. Any frame rate dips at all will cause problems with motion sickness, so visuals have to be scaled down for that, on top of visuals having to be scaled down to run in VR in the first place. On a machine that isn't exactly a graphical powerhouse to begin with I don't think it'd result in a brilliant first experience for Nintendo's first foray into VR to be honest. They're best leaving it until they can do it justice. 

Oculus Rift dev kits were like 640 x 800 or something?  

My thought though was that the Switch is pretty big.  If it stis close to your face, that'd mean the appearance is effectively worse no?

and if it sits further away, surely it'd be more strain in a weight kinda way, especially as you turn..

Not actually seen a rift / psvr etc. to be able to figure the difference screen sizes mind.

2 hours ago, revlob said:

It's an easy choice. Neon controllers if you love life and are a cool popular person, grey controllers if you're insecure and awkward.

Good point.  I'll keep my grey pre-order and stop thinking about being the cool popular neon dude that I'm not :)

2 hours ago, jatpool said:

How many of you guys are buying pro controllers? The dock for the joycons looks uncomfortable (buttons too close) but i think i'm going to hold fire until i try it.

I loved playing with Wiimote and nunchuck, that freedom of movement, lazing on the sofa WITHOUT a cable in the middle sounds like bliss to me!

2 hours ago, jatpool said:

@FreemanI want to order this case but does it fit inside with the joycons attached? 

Looks like it does, please ignore and ordered!

I see you've already found out, but yeah it does.  It's the same case as the PDP Zelda / denim looking one and those both comes as a starter pack with joycon holders that fit inside.  this has the benefit of not having that crap, and other crap like a screen protector and rubber things to put on your sticks...

46 minutes ago, robotattack said:

And the cost thing was PS4 Pro or PSVR, the point being that you could invest that kind of money elsewhere rather than Nintendo's latest potential box of folly.

And the cost thing was that you could invest that sort of money by buying another version of a console you already own which really needs a shiny new 4k TV purchase as well to benefit from the extra power, and will play the same games, or a peripheral for a console that is useless without the further purchase of a console, and even at that has an even more restricted set of games, and release schedule than the Switch?  

The only viable argument is the Ps4 with Uncharted, and as others have said, Uncharted isn't Zelda, and there are MUCH better ways to 'invest' if you want to play lots of variety and quality than a ps4 with Uncharted (3DS, 2DS, heck, Android phone...!)  The comparison is just stupid. Go Edge!

20 minutes ago, dataDave said:

*sigh*

42 minutes ago, dataDave said:

I insta-negged this then un-negged it. My sarcasm meter is just broken right, this was just a joke surely..?

16 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

Imagine you're on a bus and it's pretty crowded but you're there for 45 minutes, so you get your Switch out and you're worried about the battery because it only has 30mins left, but it's enough to get you through most of the journey. The woman next to you is in her 40's and has bingo wings which are rubbing against your shoulders. She's taking up more than her fair share of the seat and it's been raining so her coat is wet and the windows are steamed. It's not the most comfortable but you carefully remove the Switch from it's bag and position it so it doesnt get wet.

You're playing Zelda and you're aware the woman is watching you but you glance up and she looks away with an air of disapproval. You're in the water temple and there is a timed puzzle that requires your full attention but you keep looking up at your surroundings every time the bus stops, out of habit even though you know the Switch will die before your stop.

You mistime a jump and have to restart the section and as you make your way back to the puzzle room you doubt you'll have the time to progress to the next save point. A guy behind you says "Hey look he's playing a Switch" to his pal, you turn around but he doesn't acknowledge you and there is no room to play a multiplayer game plus you only have 10 mins of battery left.

You notice the bus hasn't moved for a long time and that the driver is chatting to some drunk looking guy flailing his arms about, but the driver lets him past and the bus continues it's journey. At this point the woman next to you gets up and shuffles to the front of the bus and to your alarm the drunk guy comes to take the seat next to you. You resign yourself to defeat at the water temple and turn the console off and get ready to slide it into your bag, which you forgot to close and to your horror has spilled your Amiibo under the seat in front. "Ish that a Playstation?" the you feel the guys breathe on your ear and look up, "Is that Playstation?" He smells faintly of piss but he's blocked you in now.  

"No, it's a Nintendo Switch"

"Ah what's that like?" The guy grins.

"Sorry mate it's out of battery"

The guy's face drops. He doesn't believe you.

"C'mon mate, give us a fucking look."

He holds his hand out and you panic as you realise you slid the Switch loose into the bag. You try to make out how far it is from your stop but you don't recognise where you are.

"You think you're fucking better than me mate? 

Give it here."

You look around hoping someone will say something, but the entire bus is silent, someone is filming you on their phone. The bus has stopped and the driver is looking round, but he isn't saying anything.

Then you shit yourself and you're naked and the drunk guy turns out to be dizogg and the entire bus is pointing at you chanting "Switch wanker".

Wtf? It must be hard being terrified of the outside world. 

22 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

Imagine you're on a bus and it's pretty busy but you're there for 45 minutes, so you get your Switch out and you're worried about the battery because it only has 30mins left, but it's enough to get you through most of the journey. The woman next to you is in her 40's and has bingo wings which are rubbing against your shoulders. She's taking up more than her fair share of the seat and it's been raining so her coat is wet and the windows are steamed. It's not the most comfortable but you carefully remove the Switch from it's bag and position it so it doesnt get wet. You're playing Zelda and you're aware the woman is watching you but you glance up and she looks away with an air of disapproval. You're in the water temple and there is a timed puzzle that requires your full attention but you keep looking up at your surroundings when the bus stops, out of habit even though you know the Switch will die before your stop. You mistime a jump and have restart the section and must make your way back to the puzzle room and begin to doubt you'll have the time to progress to the chest and save point. A guy behind you says "Hey look he's playing a Switch" to his pal, you turn around but he doesn't acknowledge you and there is no room to play a multiplayer game plus you only have 10 mins of battery left. You notice the bus hasn't moved for a long time and that the driver is chatting to some drunk looking guy flailing his arms about, but the driver lets him past and the bus continues it's journey. At this point the woman next to you gets up and shuffles to the front of the bus and to your alarm the drunk guy comes to take the seat next to you. You resign yourself to defeat at the water temple and turn the console off and get ready to slide it into your bag, which you forgot to close and to your horror has spilled your Amiibo under the seat in front. "Ish that a Playstation?" the you feel the guys breathe on your ear and look up, "Is that Playstation?" He smells faintly of piss but he's blocked you in now.  

"No, it's a Nintendo Switch"

"Ah what's that like?" The guy grins.

"Sorry mate it's out of battery"

The guy's face drops. He doesn't believe you.

"C'mon mate, give us a fucking look."

He holds his hand out and you panic as you realise you slid the Switch loose into the bag. You try to make out through the steamed windows opposite whether it's your stop yet.

"You think you're fucking better than me mate? 

Give it here."

You look around hoping someone will say something, but the entire bus is silent, someone is filming you on their phone. The bus has stopped and the driver is looking round, but he isn't saying anything.

Then you shit yourself and you're naked and the drunk guy turns out to be dizogg and the entire bus start chanting "Switch wanker".

Fucking hell, I know I said I didn't like busses further back in the thread, but what hellish part of the country do you live in for it to be THAT bloody bad??

And surely, the headphone port on it should save you having to interact with other poor bus dwellers, even if it the battery had run out, just put them in your ears and pretend you can't hear the other commuters.