IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

2 hours ago, NEG said:

Would be the best thing ever,,,though keeping the screen up-right on it's side might result in Nintendo selling yet another (over-priced) accessory.

Edit: Which I'd happily pay for.

Like Hori weren't already going to be ahead of the game on this stuff.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HORI-Switch-Compact-PlayStand-Nintendo/dp/B01N9RTMWS/ref=sr_1_4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1485896479&sr=1-4&tag=nintlife-21

51Z2omhLL6L._SL1000_.jpg

Okay, it would probably be a bit precarious in portrait, but it would work.

33 minutes ago, VN1X said:

are u ok hun? xx

This one's absolutely amazing and if you think otherwise then there's something wrong with you.

This is AMAZING!!! Why have I never heard it before!!
I have the sudden urge to run around the office like a loon whilst listening to this :omg::omg:

5 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Have the boffins worked out if we will be able to play and charge or at least play the switch in handheld mode with it plugged into the average phone charger (with correct lead) like an iPhone puck etc?

I think that goes without saying. They wouldn't be showing off the USB-C otherwise. 

6 hours ago, BruceBruce said:

My dad sent me a text during the super bowl earlier, around the 4th quarter.  He asked "You know how you said you might get me a bigger TV for my birthday?  I've changed my mind."

I said "Oh? What are you wanting then?"

He texted "It's called a Nintendo Switch, and it just looks fun and interesting.  I think it would be neat to have."

This man doesn't play video games... maybe this thing is going to end up being crazy successful after all.  I guess he saw that 30 second tv spot for it during the Super Bowl.  He wasn't interested in the Wii at all when it came out.  So maybe this will have a broader appeal than even that did.

Did they pull the Zelda advert and go for a 1-2 Switch one instead? :huh:

d1E1aerUHOZFvfIA.gif

Regarding the L and R JoyCons, I wonder from a UI perspective how they will refer to the face buttons when held sideways. The L JoyCon has arrows, whereas the right one has A, B, X, Y. Would be hard/interesting to design onscreen prompts etc.

4 minutes ago, pelago said:

Regarding the L and R JoyCons, I wonder from a UI perspective how they will refer to the face buttons when held sideways. The L JoyCon has arrows, whereas the right one has A, B, X, Y. Would be hard/interesting to design onscreen prompts etc.

I'd imagine they'd use the normal arrows for either Joycon. Trying to design a UI prompt for someone who gets confused when asked to press "↑" must be an exercise in futility.

EDIT: Wait, I'm being an idiot. They'll be used as function buttons when held in two player mode, not as a d-pad, won't they? In that case, it's a better question than I original thought.

I do wonder if there's an API for handling the rotational nature of the joycons. I mean, 'X' will be the top button when held normally, but when used in two-player mode, 'X' will be on the right and 'Y' will be the top button. Maybe the on screen prompts will display two images instead of one when in two-player mode.

The issue is with communicating it easily to players. My other half often has to look down at the controller when told "press B!", and already between the different formats the X button could potentially be the top, left or bottom button.

It's a lot more straightforward if on-screen prompts show the four buttons together like this:

the-wolf-among-us.jpg

TheLastGuardianPickupBarrel-1024x576.jpg.jpg

1370966158-the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker-hd-1.jpg

Rather than this:

Beyond-Two-Souls-5.jpg

1 hour ago, Made of Ghosts said:

Surely in practice 95% of games would be fine with that.

The other 5% being Luigi's Mansion, F-Zero GX, Viewtiful Joe, Wave Race, SSB:Melee, Eternal Darkness, and Super Mario Sunshine.

12 hours ago, BruceBruce said:

My dad sent me a text during the super bowl earlier, around the 4th quarter.  He asked "You know how you said you might get me a bigger TV for my birthday?  I've changed my mind."

I said "Oh? What are you wanting then?"

He texted "It's called a Nintendo Switch, and it just looks fun and interesting.  I think it would be neat to have."

This man doesn't play video games... maybe this thing is going to end up being crazy successful after all.  I guess he saw that 30 second tv spot for it during the Super Bowl.  He wasn't interested in the Wii at all when it came out.  So maybe this will have a broader appeal than even that did.

Is your dad Scott's nan? I'm confused.

10 minutes ago, deKay said:

Is your dad Scott's nan? I'm confused.

Apparently based on the 30 second tv spot he had no idea he could actually take it with him places (he assumed it was similar to a Wii U), until he saw another Switch trailer.  Now he REAALLY wants it.