Nintendo Switch

deKay

11 hours ago, pelago said:

Regarding the L and R JoyCons, I wonder from a UI perspective how they will refer to the face buttons when held sideways. The L JoyCon has arrows, whereas the right one has A, B, X, Y. Would be hard/interesting to design onscreen prompts etc.

They show four circles in the layout of ABXY or the new "dpad" with the button in question highlighted. 

Here's a screen from Snipperclips

ac5b690cdec5c1045d3696c76b40205a2b660c67

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/1612070/snipperclips-is-a-creative-and-adorable-puzzle-game-for-the-nintendo-switch

13 hours ago, robotattack said:

Did they pull the Zelda advert and go for a 1-2 Switch one instead? :huh:

d1E1aerUHOZFvfIA.gif

Nintendo very clearly and unsubtley going after the wanking innuendo angle with the Switch. Someone was clearly a fan of We Dare:

58494.jpg

In your mush, Mushimashi!

"We're hoping that Nintendo Switch will be a system that will be the constant in your gaming life," adds Koizumi. "Whereas previously, you would play certain things on your home system and certain things on your handheld. Our hope is that Nintendo Switch can be the system that bridges both of those and becomes the constant system that you're always using."

"But my hope is that with Nintendo Switch being a system that you can play at home and bring with you, we're going to be able to find more of those moments where we're able to play the games that we all enjoy and be able to enjoy them that much more," he added.

"We're hoping that Nintendo Switch will be a system that will be the constant in your gaming life," adds Koizumi. "Whereas previously, you would play certain things on your home system and certain things on your handheld. Our hope is that Nintendo Switch can be the system that bridges both of those and becomes the constant system that you're always using."

"But my hope is that with Nintendo Switch being a system that you can play at home and bring with you, we're going to be able to find more of those moments where we're able to play the games that we all enjoy and be able to enjoy them that much more," he added.

But but but it was a home system.

That you could also take with you.

But definitely not a replacement for or alternative to (please keep buying) our handheld.

Not that it really needs it but if the Switch has a decent web browser it would be the ultimate tablet too. I don't have a tablet but the games on here (with proper controls) will wipe the floor with everything in terms of gameplay. Touch games are OK and some are really good but playing a Mario/Rayman/Sonic with a pad is something that can't be replicated with a touch screen. This is going to be the ultimate stay in bed all day device. Do a bit of browsing, play a game, watch a film, i'm hyped again.

6 minutes ago, jatpool said:

Do a bit of browsing, play a game, watch a film, i'm hyped again.

In a best case scenario you probably get a not too terrible browser (part of the Easter 2018 firmware update) and a creaky Youtube app (TBA 2019). The browser will not access any sites besides the Nintendo website between 6am and 11pm. I wouldn't expect anything more than that if NIntendo's track record is anything to go by.

Just now, Napole0n said:

In a best case scenario you probably get a not too terrible browser and a creaky Youtube app. I wouldn't expect anything more than that if NIntendo's track record is anything to go by.

I know, i know but the hardware will have enough grunt to pull this off. I remember the DS browser was pretty bad but it was severely limited by the hardware. If the browser is good (if it has a browser!) then things like YouTube should work through the browser.

The reality is we will get a YouTube app that will probably stop working after a while (like you said) but i want to dream.

26 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

So.... he's describing a tablet? I can't see this being what they are saying at all. They've missed that market.

No, they havent. Because mobile gaming is pathetic.

Quality gaming, in a personal, not room dominating fashion? It is a virgin rainforest for Nintendo to exploit.

The multimedia shit on this this thing is gonna be shit. Let's accept that. It's a gaming device.

I know, I know, the machine looks too good. With it's custom Tegra chip and up to 6 hour battery life. It looks perfect. It's natural to look for things it can't do rather than bathe in what it can do.

To be honest. I lost my crappy kindle tablet and I miss it. I dont feel like buying some other gadget thing just for bedtime. I don't see any problem with the Switch having a decent browser and netflix.

Actually the thing where the Switch totally excels is versatility. It is like a play-doh hardware. That is the weird but interesting link between the Switch and the PC.

While the other consoles are copying the PC in just architecture, the Switch is copying the PC in functionality. 

1 minute ago, Napole0n said:

6 hours? That would be impressive. I was playing Phoenix Wright yesterday and drained the New 3DS XL's battery in about 3-4 hours I think.

Worst of all is that I stayed up until 1.30am and feel knackered now. And I still haven't completed the damn game. That last case (I assume it's the last) goes on forever.

Actually the Switch is so powerful it could probably run Phoenix Wright while turned off. So in theory the battery could last for days. But Nintendo say between 2.5 and 6.5 hours.

2 minutes ago, daifuco said:

While the other consoles are copying the PC in just architecture, the Switch is copying the PC in functionality. 

With a closed, proprietary OS managed by a company known for being reluctant at supporting anything to do with media or online? The Wii and Wii U wouldn't even play audio CDs for goodness sake.

5 minutes ago, joe bazooka said:

Actually the Switch is so powerful it could probably run Phoenix Wright while turned off. So in theory the battery could last for days. But Nintendo say between 2.5 and 6.5 hours.

I heard its so good that you charge it by playing games... 

Just now, Napole0n said:

With a closed, proprietary OS managed by a company known for being reluctant at supporting anything to do with media or online? The Wii and Wii U wouldn't even play audio CDs for goodness sake.

Audio CDs! I remember those! 

But Nap is right. They're more like Apple.

21 minutes ago, joe bazooka said:

The multimedia shit on this this thing is gonna be shit. Let's accept that. It's a gaming device.

I know, I know, the machine looks too good. With it's custom Tegra chip and up to 6 hour battery life. It looks perfect. It's natural to look for things it can't do rather than bathe in what it can do.

6 hours?

HAHHAHAhahahaHAHHAhahahahaHAHHahahahhaa

Couple things..

I'm going to really miss the dpad on the gcon controller. Seriously, i can't play Mario Kart 8 using a stick and i certainly can't play Mario Maker with a stick either (whenever that is released).

I just hope they release a gcon asap with a proper input on it.

Also, looking into 1..2..switch more. I still think it would have been best to pack in with the system BUT it's looking more and more like a rebranded Wario Ware which isn't exactly a bad thing. Back in 2006 or whenever with Wario Ware Wii.. fun times with friends. Maybe it could surprise us all.

8 minutes ago, deKay said:

Some of us played games from our vinyls.

bloody hell I'd actually forgotten that til you mentioned it... We all remember covertapes but yes earlier still you got flexidiscs in computer magazines with programmes/games on them. Your Computer used to have them if I recall.

I have a vic20 at the time so I think I had to record the flexidisc to tape first... not sure I got it to work.

10 minutes ago, Clipper said:

bloody hell I'd actually forgotten that til you mentioned it... We all remember covertapes but yes earlier still you got flexidiscs in computer magazines with programmes/games on them. Your Computer used to have them if I recall.

I have a vic20 at the time so I think I had to record the flexidisc to tape first... not sure I got it to work.

I had the Thompson Twins Speccy game!

There's a partial list of games here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_soundtracks_released_on_vinyl#Vinyl_data