Nintendo Switch

deKay

Ok I have used my average spanish skills :P to translate this preview video

Studio has grown a lot
WHat Rime is NOT? Not a ICO or SOC
It is an action adventure with no enemies or combat.
But puzzles have a lot of action. A lot of things going on with them.
Puzzles are blended into the narrative.
You interact with the enviroment by yelling at it.

The shouting button is responsive sometimes it actually wispers depending on the object.
The narrative is driven by the character curiosity.
The character wants to know where is he. Why is he there.

Spoiler alert.
They highlight one of the puzzles, there are two pedestals and a sphere on a circular rail . When you push the sphere you actually change the day/light cycle affecting the shadows casting on the building.
There is a little  pet fox giving you hints.
The environment, puzzles and even collectables are all integrated into the narrative of the game. It goes from something abstract and blurry to something more concrete. Collectables help to understand the story.

Visually, the graphics are not super next gen but they are very arty. Developers were inspired by spanish impresionist painters like Joaquin Sorolla. Enviroment very mediterranean and sunny.

http://time.com/4662446/nintendo-president-switch-interview/

Next, whether Nintendo eShop is fully supported and functioning for Switch at launch, we can confirm that it will be possible to purchase and play downloaded software at launch, but we are not sharing further details at this time. And in terms of the Internet browser, since all of our efforts have gone toward making Switch an amazing dedicated video game platform, it will not support it, at least at launch.

What about virtual reality? Is the launch version of Switch powerful enough to support it?

The very simple answer is yes. We've said this before, and I feel like we're saying it a lot, but we are interested and doing research into this field. The question, of course, is "What is the best way to bring virtual reality to our customers as a form of entertainment?" Not just, "Hey, look! It's realistic!" or whatever, but what is the best way to use this technology to bring something fun to our consumer base? We are definitely looking at that.

In a way I'm not that bothered if the Switch doesn't support a browser, Netflix, YouTube, iPlayer or whatever. The reality is that most people have a phone (or a tablet) to do those already and I would guess that's why Miiverse (or whatever My Nintendo is like) is becoming an App and isn't integrated into the console anymore.

Because the console is for playing games, your phone/tablet is for access online stuff like guides, videos, My Nintendo etc while you're playing on the Switch. Dual screening or whatever it is media types call it.

Not bothered about web browsers and apps being there at launch. Most TVs these days have Amazon, Netflix apps etc, or you can cast to them. Who would actually want to use a web browser through a console anyway? I bet about 1% of console owners have used a web browser through their console more than 5 times. 

The switch is for gaming. I like that they're razor sharp with their focus for launch and not fucking about with things that don't actually matter. There's no way they're doing VR either, despite what he says in that interview. 

1 minute ago, the_debaser said:

Not bothered about web browsers and apps being there at launch. Most TVs these days have Amazon, Netflix apps etc, or you can cast to them. Who would actually want to use a web browser through a console anyway? I bet about 1% of console owners have used a web browser through their console more than 5 times. 

The switch is for gaming. I like that they're razor sharp with their focus for launch and not fucking about with things that don't actually matter. There's no way they're doing VR either, despite what he says in that interview. 

Fair enough.. if I take my Switch somewhere, I'm probably going to have my phone anyway.  Would be nice to have the option of a web browser however, so hopefully that's something implemented down the line.

37 minutes ago, robotattack said:

I found this part more interesting tbh...

"That said, Switch is not backward compatible with games designed for other systems, and is not currently compatible with controllers designed for other systems."

Not currenty supported, so there is a chance that Wiimotes and the Gamepad functionality, along with possibly GC pads could be added in the future :)

3 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

"That said, Switch is not backward compatible with games designed for other systems, and is not currently compatible with controllers designed for other systems."

Not currenty supported, so there is a chance that Wiimotes and the Gamepad functionality, along with possibly GC pads could be added in the future :)

How do you figure that? All the stuff you mention needs more than software to run.

9 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

How do you figure that? All the stuff you mention needs more than software to run.

USB port, would probably need the dock to function, but I'm just relaying what was mentioned in the article, the rest of it continued to say ...

" Support for certain controllers may be considered for a future update. In some cases, games from past systems may be re-released for the Nintendo Switch system as either enhanced or original versions."

It's up to them to figure out how they connect them to the system though, I'm just a consumer.

56 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

That basically means no Wii games on the eShop (or VC channel if that's what they call it). You can emulate all of the other system controllers (except the analogue shoulders of the GC) with the current Joy con setup. 

Unless they emulate the pointer through pure motion control. 

1 hour ago, moora said:

That basically means no Wii games on the eShop (or VC channel if that's what they call it). You can emulate all of the other system controllers (except the analogue shoulders of the GC) with the current Joy con setup. 

Unless they emulate the pointer through pure motion control. 

Wii games wouldn't work?  The right joycon is basically a more advanced wii remote, and the left is a more advanced nunchuck attachment.  I still think the top of the screen for the Switch tablet might contain IR detectors similar to the Wii's sensor bar. 

Perhaps they've perfected the technology to allow the bar to be off-center and still work (This way your switch has to be facing forward, but can be placed just about anywhere in front of the TV instead of just dead center).  Would be interesting.  Albeit, I'm just guessing from absolutely nothing and this is mainly wishful thinking.  But they seem to have thought of everything else so why not?!

5 hours ago, BruceBruce said:

Wii games wouldn't work?  The right joycon is basically a more advanced wii remote, and the left is a more advanced nunchuck attachment.  I still think the top of the screen for the Switch tablet might contain IR detectors similar to the Wii's sensor bar. 

Perhaps they've perfected the technology to allow the bar to be off-center and still work (This way your switch has to be facing forward, but can be placed just about anywhere in front of the TV instead of just dead center).  Would be interesting.  Albeit, I'm just guessing from absolutely nothing and this is mainly wishful thinking.  But they seem to have thought of everything else so why not?!

Unfortunately the right joy con's IR camera is at the bottom of the controller (so it's facing you when you hold it) so it looks like it's designed for different applications...

8 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

What a load of bobbins. The idea of watching videos on my tiny iPhone screen while a 7 inch tablet sits unused because Nintendo couldn't be bothered to get their act together is frankly, ridiculous.

I would be happy with just a YouTube app. I don't need it but it would be nice to watch stuff in bed on a screen that is bigger than my phone. The browser is less important. Watching a video without a WhatsApp notification every few seconds would be nice too.

Just now, jatpool said:

I would be happy with just a YouTube app. I don't need it but it would be nice to watch stuff in bed on a screen that is bigger than my phone. The browser is less important. Watching a video without a WhatsApp notification every few seconds would be nice too.

You do realise you can change notification settings?

1 hour ago, jatpool said:

Yes but changing the notification settings before opening YouTube is a bit tedious. I just want to use my Switch :( 

Or, if you're on iOS, just flick up Control Center and turn on Do Not Disturb when you're on YouTube.

I don't get that at all.... there's nothing to watch on a screen so you are relying on pointing 2 wriggling sticks at each other.... I haven't seen anything in the game trailers that doesn't reek of being a tech demo. Maybe it's a good thing it isn't a pack in? They need good games after all :lol: