Nintendo Switch

deKay

5 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Well it would increase the price in cart form.

True but they could have bitten the cost. Or been more forward thinking perhaps and not used video.

Basically the game is the equivalent of Face Raiders on the 3DS, only for £40. Nintendo got that part of the 3DS launch spot on. Pack in a game (fun diversion) that serves to demo the benefits of your new purchase.

3 minutes ago, robotattack said:

They're saving it as an Ambassador game for when the Switch gets a price cut.

I hope not!

I've got my fingers crossed that we get a choice. Like the Mario Kart 8 offer where we got to choose a free game. Although with me, just like then, the chances are I'll already have everything worth owning anyway so will have no other choice but to go with 1-2-Switch. :/  I had to settle for Wii Party U the last time.

Some fancy VC Ambassador exclusives could suffice.

20 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Stop being such a sop. Who said it? Reggie, that's who. The fact you can't see this, or accept near any criticism just shows how deluded you are. 

20 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

True but they could have bitten the cost. Or been more forward thinking perhaps and not used video.

I think you are both missing my point - even if Nintendo did bite the cost 100%, people would not have known it (or accepted it as being true) - the reaction from many would have been "I'd rather not have this forced on me and pay less" - regardless of if it actually being there was increasing the cost or not.

We've already had one person on here admit that would likely have been their reaction (well played on the honesty @gizmo1990) - so, stop trying to paint me as a deluded nut and at least understand the point you are windmilling against please.

11 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Reckon there will be Louise Woodward DLC for 1-2 switch

I remember, the day she got banged up.. I was at Cream in Liverpool... Paul Oakenfold was playing in the smaller room.... I was completely off my tits and staggered up to the DJ booth and kept demanding he play a song for Louise Woodward... he told me to fuck off in the end...

12 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I think you are both missing my point - even if Nintendo did bite the cost 100%, people would not have known it (or accepted it as being true) - the reaction from many would have been "I'd rather not have this forced on me and pay less" - regardless of if it actually being there was increasing the cost or not.

I really don't think the majority of people would have thought that. Simply because the game itself looks the very definition of a pack in title. And like I said, it doesn't look like £40 worth of entertainment either. I never thought while playing Face Raiders, 'Gee I wish Nintendo hadn't packed this in. Then I could have got the console £30 cheaper!'

40 minutes ago, rgraves said:

We've already had one person on here admit that would likely have been their reaction (well played on the honesty @gizmo1990) - so, stop trying to paint me as a deluded nut and at least understand the point you are windmilling against please.

Neatly sidestepping my comment about the value Wii Sports added when the original Wii was released. 

When literally everyone on the Internet is saying two things :-

1) 1-2 Switch is too expensive.

2) it neatly demonstrates the Switch's capabilites and should have been a pack in.

To argue otherwise just seems willfully obtuse, and marks you out as a fan of Nintendo the corporation rather than Nintendo the entertainment provider.

1 hour ago, Barnard said:

At the end of the day Nintendo is a toy company. 1, 2 Switch is one of their toys, there isn't any point looking at it through your gaming goggles.

I didn't know we could just reclassify things to exempt them from criticism, Good tip.

"That meal was horrible. The steak was really tough."

"Actually, I'll think you'll find it was really a novelty placemat.'

I've watched more of the 1, 2 Switch videos and it just looks so basic. Like, who would ever want to play this 'game' more than once? It's the type of thing that would be a 3 second microgame in Wario Ware, only with fun, surreal visuals and sound and sandwiched in between 20 other quickfire, off the wall tasks. As a game on its own, with no visual feedback, it just seems so pointless? You may as well just put your mobile phones face down on the table and have someone make a pretend ringing noise and you'd have exactly the same experience.

19 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Neatly sidestepping my comment about the value Wii Sports added when the original Wii was released. 

When literally everyone on the Internet is saying two things :-

1) 1-2 Switch is too expensive.

2) it nearly demonstrates the Switch's capabilites and should have been a pack in.

To argue otherwise just seems willfully obtuse, and marks you out as a fan of Nintendo the corporation rather than Nintendo the entertainment provider.

Oh god, you're just so determined to brand me as a fanboy and be done with it. It's odd - what does it gain you? Do you only sleep happy at night if you have everyone in a little box? Is it not possible to have a discussion that contains shades of grey and middle ground (the most feared thing on the internet it seems)?

I'll agree absolutely that everyone appears to be agreeing that 1-2-Switch is too expensive. That seems to be a common thing. And yep, it certainly looks that way right now (it could change when we actually, you know, play it), but who knows - I doubt it. £20-25 might have been a sweet spot.

But the other point - NO. Just head on over to GAF for example - they are not of the opinion that it 'neatly demonstrates' anything - I even saw somebody call it "100% the worst game Nintendo have ever made". A lot of folks simply see something as out-there and 'casual' as 1-2-Switch as an almost direct attack on gaming - like it's very existence is going to implode the industry and cause their game collection to run away from them.

There is nothing "willfully obtuse" with just recognizing how things would have played out.

1 minute ago, rgraves said:

Oh god, you're just so determined to brand me as a fanboy and be done with it. It's odd - what does it gain you? Do you only sleep happy at night if you have everyone in a little box? Is it not possible to have a discussion that contains shades of grey and middle ground (the most feared thing on the internet it seems)?

I'll agree absolutely that everyone appears to be agreeing that 1-2-Switch is too expensive. That seems to be a common thing. And yep, it certainly looks that way right now (it could change when we actually, you know, play it), but who knows - I doubt it. £25 might have been a sweet spot.

But the other point - NO. Just head on over to GAF for example - they are not of the opinion that it 'neatly demonstrates' anything - I even saw somebody call it "100% the worst game Nintendo have ever made". A lot of folks simply see something as out-there and 'casual' as 1-2-Switch as an almost direct attack on gaming - like it's very existence is going to implode the industry and cause their game collection to run away from them.

There is nothing "willfully obtuse" with just recognizing how things would have played out.

I wouldn't be so crass as to call you a fanboy. Christ I'm one myself, of many things. It's an overused and uniformed criticism of someone. I like that you like Nintendo. So do I, I'm just not so blinkered that I can't smell the shitty smell of greed anymore.

I'm sure there are people who didn't like Wii Sports over at GAF, or Nintendoland. But imagine how differently things might have played out if Wii Sports wasn't a pack in. 

You can see the thought process here - hey we have this great console, it's a handheld and a home console, multiplayer, play anywhere, with or without a TV, HD rumble yada yada. 

So we've come up with this mini game collection which demonstrstes many of its features. People might not find much longterm value in it but it helps coalesce what we're doing with the hardware and software. So it'll make a great pack in. That's what it's for.

Corporate Nintendo - no.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

I didn't know we could just reclassify thing to exempt them from criticism, Good tip.

"That meal was horrible. The steak was really tough."

"Actually, I'll think you'll find it was really a novelty placemat.'

Zelda is the steak. 1, 2 Switch is the placemat. Don't be expecting your peppercorn sauce to go well with the placemat. 

I've bought 1,2 Switch as it will be ideal to show others how the system works, with the Amazon £10 off voucher that was going round the other week, I got it and MK8D for £70, was willing to pay the £45 for MK, so at £25 it's fine, anything higher and I wasn't in though for sure.

It looks like it will be fun for a while and there are more games to be revealed later on ( I quite like how they are slowly droping info rather than it all coming in one big chunk, keeps the hype up :P ).

13 minutes ago, deKay said:

1, 2, Switch is just multiplayer Wario Ware only in real life. What's the hate?

fifty pounds for 3 minigames and no wario. Have they said how many games there are yet? Looking at these vids youd hope a thousand or more than 20(100), then it could be great. Even a hundred feels low.

Just now, mrpranny said:

fifty pounds for 3 minigames and no wario. Have they said how many games there are yet? Looking at these vids youd hope a thousand or more than 20(100), then it could be great. Even a hundred feels low.

£50? It's £40. And there's 20-odd games.

58 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I'm sure there are people who didn't like Wii Sports over at GAF, or Nintendoland. But imagine how differently things might have played out if Wii Sports wasn't a pack in. 

It wasn't a pack in in Japan. Did it make a huge difference to Wii uptake out there? Not really, so you could perfectly reasonably say that Nintendo is just applying that experience to the Switch. It's a roll of the dice perhaps, but it's not one they haven't done before.

I'm not averse to criticizing Nintendo - the lack of a browser is just plain stupid IMO - I'm just averse to folks being so extreme with their reactions to some of the things they do which have perfectly rationale business explanations. In the case of 1-2-Switch they like it, so they are releasing it (and the price point suggests confidence in it to some degree however much we might beg to differ). They don't think it appeals to everyone though, so they are not packing it in.

Europe and America are far bigger, far more important territories than Japan, where Nintendo historically has done OK anyway, it being their home turf. You know, Nintendo have everything to prove here. Trying to leverage more cash from a product designed as a demonstration is just pure greed.

But, anyway, yeah, it's the lack of an Internet browser that'll really damage them ;)

I reckon 1,2 Switch is perfectly priced. It's not essential like Zelda, of course. But as a fun showcase for the incredible HD rumble it's certainly worth a punt. I attend a lot of pool parties so of course this aimed at me and I think I'll get my money's worth.

Of course for some people the social aspect of this game is unappealing and therefore they will baulk at the price. To those people I say this. I'm paraphrasing Muhammed Ali here but to those people "don't fucking buy it then."