rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

47 minutes ago, Coolcongo said:

is there a way to see how much you have played a game. like zelda or others

Weirdly, the Parental Controls app does exactly this when activated. Not sure if it'll track total playtime across days but it purports to show monthly summaries and it definitely tells me how much time I've spent playing Zelda today.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, VN1X said:

HD-Rumble is kind of a joke isn't it? Even during Fast RMX it doesn't even come close to the fidelity of the Xbox Elite controller, let alone the standard one. 

Played rmx, but really 1,2 switch is the launch showcase title for the feature. Some of the minigames use the hd rumble really well. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spork said:

It was. Lots of real names mixed in too so I don't really know who's who!

Half my friends list are called "Chris". Not useful.

1 hour ago, Coolcongo said:

is there a way to see how much you have played a game. like zelda or others

Yep - set up parental controls and use the parental controls app.

IMG_7304.thumb.PNG.b2d4dd6cfdb1bdc0ba3473034fe4fe3b.PNG

37 minutes ago, _Pow_ said:

how do you actually tell if this thing is charging?

You need to turn the icon on in the settings.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Anyone else getting background noise on their earphones when plugged in?  I'm getting a low level, consistent buzz on my earphones (I've tried two pairs) which I don't get when connected to any other piece of equipment.

Played with headphones this evening and no background noise on mine.

1 minute ago, rafaqat said:

Played with headphones this evening and no background noise on mine.

Just me then. :(

1 minute ago, Bucky said:

Just me then. :(

Define background noise.   I've only played it with Zelda and all i could hear was Zelda.  Do you mean a low whine or buzzing?

5 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Define background noise.   I've only played it with Zelda and all i could hear was Zelda.  Do you mean a low whine or buzzing?

Buzzing.  It's on the home screen too.

It's worse on my AKGs with than it is with buds.

Today I took the Switch to the "lovely" warehouse where I work. I converted an XBOX user.

He was really impressed with Zelda graphics and feel. He understood why it is a £280 handheld. 

I remembered he has a little girl. So we tried SnipperClips  together. He is very "serious" but he was  giggling when we tried to solve the problems.

He said, "wow I could totally play this with my daughter". He was really impressed and talking about considering getting one.

People really love the joycons.

• Upvote 4

After spending most of the afternoon with it I can say it's a lovely thing indeed, however the left joy con sync issue is a big problem. Thankfully I bought the pro controller because after an hour trying out the grip with zelda I died auto-running off a cliff and the game was honestly fairly unplayable when slumped lying down on the sofa. Sitting up straight with a clear line of sight between the grip and dock was fine. It's a shame though.

Friend code is 0755-0915-1794

I thought Nintendo did away with the codes and went with the NNID?

My NNID is Probotector80

Still waiting for my Zelda to turn up.

I refuse to buy anything online with Nintendo for now until I can confirm their online account policies are not stuck in la-la land.

• Upvote 1

So it's about 4am and I've just been on a hell of a Red Bull-fuelled Zelda marathon. My initial thoughts on the machine now I've had significant time with it:

I'm (mostly) really impressed. Turns on quickly, gets you into your game nice and fast. The docking/undocking thing is great fun too and works seamlessly. I've not even had any left Joycon desynch issues, but then again I do sit close to my TV. The screen on it is lovely, too. It feels like a nice bit of kit and I am much more confident that it has a good chance of selling well and doing a better job on all fronts than its predecessor.

All of my niggles are Joycon related, because the more I use them, the more they seem to feel like the ergonomics have been compromised a bit too much by the whole turn-your-bits sideways-for-tabletop-multiplayer thing. The size is actually alright despite my somewhat large hands, but the layout with the sticks directly above (left) and below (right) isn't particularly natural to flick between with my thumbs. In handheld mode in particular the right side Joycon makes me unsure how to hold the thing so I can support the weight of the machine and comfortably reach the buttons without dislocating my right thumb. It's not a complete disaster and I have been able to play Zelda for a few hours in handheld mode, but I am hoping a Joycon redesign is in the pipeline at some point because right now it is not quite right when playing it in handheld mode, which is a shame as otherwise it's an awesome thing to do.

I suspect I will get the Pro Controller sooner rather than later - the grip thing actually seems pretty manageable at least. But hey, I am sure the above will get sorted, and otherwise it's a cool little machine and one I'm pleased to own. Zelda is incredible and well worth the hype it's been getting. Looking forward to plenty of Splatoon 2 this summer, too :)

• Upvote 2

The left joycon issue is there for me. It needs line of sight when the Switch is docked or it cuts out / goes into autorun madness. It's an infrequent problem but it does exist for me. 

That's a real bugger about the left Joy-Con. One of my favourite ways of playing Wii games was slumped on an armchair or sofa with Nunchuk/remote to my sides, or with my legs in between them and the console. Was hoping to replicate that with Switch. (Please note, I don't have a Switch so am only going by reports).

The Switch isn't the best for playing in bed next to a light sleeping wife it seems,   The fans fired up a little playing Zelda earlier, and the buttons are quite clicky too.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, deKay said:

Hmm.

Three hours or so into Zelda, and... it's not great. It's more Assassin's Creed than Zelda so far, which you'd think I'd like as I like Assassin's Creed more than 3D Zelda games, but it's reminding me too much of ACIII.  ACIII with Borgia towers.

Controls are fiddly too, and having to select a new weapon every five seconds is driving me nuts.

EDIT: Yes, I know there's a Zelda thread. Staying out of there on purpose!

I suspected it wouldn't be my kind of game either, and I was right.  I can see that is completely amazing and worthy of being up with the best games ever, but I don't think it's for me.  I may finally get the dock out of the box later and try it on the TV.  Perhaps it'll be super-immersive on the big screen and win me over.

14 hours ago, deKay said:

So we're the other ones when they came out.

I don't think one ever seen them for £40 and we pretty much have them all - always  around £20, 2017 was £30ish on launch and £20 a month later when I got it.

12 hours ago, ph0rce said:

Sliced my finger open when removing one of the Joycon grips, damn they are stiff. 

Put it on in the wrong way first, was a bugger to get that off as well. 

Did you use the release button to take the grip off, I didnt the first time and also fond them hard to get off!?

So my dock is fucked and won't pass through power...  so can't connect to the TV. Does anyone sell docks separately? 

Amazon not sure when they will have replacements.. and Nintendo's support seems non existent after a few unanswered calls and emails...

2 minutes ago, ph0rce said:

Yeah, same button to detach the Joycon from the console, right?

Yeah thats the one!

There's a lock button on the grip too, no?

I forgot what the grip was actually, never mind. 

A friend of mine bought one of those joycon charging grips. Apparently it doesn't have a battery inside so you need to actually plug it in to charge the joycons. Surely this puts it in the running for the most useless peripheral ever. 

• Upvote 4

Those with the Joy Con connection issues. I don't have a Switch (yet), but I noticed a lot of issues with the Wii U gamepad when I moved my wireless hub next to the Wii U console. Especially if anyone was accessing the network on their phone or tablet!

Not sure if it's something similarly with the Switch, but check if there's anything that could cause interference around the base unit or between the base unit and console....

6 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

A friend of mine bought one of those joycon charging grips. Apparently it doesn't have a battery inside so you need to actually plug it in to charge the joycons. Surely this puts it in the running for the most useless peripheral ever. 

Well it means you can play and charge at the same time with a wired connection. I think it's fairly pointless too unless you have anither set of Joycons, or perhaps if you mainly play in TV mode using the Joycon cradle. But to be honest if that's the case you'd be better off investing in a Pro pad.

Those with connection issues.... go grab a Pro controller. Doesn't fix it but at least means you can play the likes of Zelda without problems until Nintendo releases an update. Much better anyway for stuff like that!