Nintendo Switch

deKay

5 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Why not just buy a new set, swap them, and then return them? New joy-cons, same Switch?

I thought of this, but would I get a refund when I took them back, or just a replacement? If the latter I'd end up with an extra pair of grey controllers that I don't want (or rather, don't want to pay for!)

8 minutes ago, spork said:

$39.99 on the US estore. Should we expect it to be £39.99 here or are they pricing things with a slightly better conversion for us UK buyers?

Its a real quandary though whether to go for a boxed copy that will have value or a store download that you will be able to play ALL the time when out and about. 

18 hours ago, revlob said:

I'm totally flabbergasted by the lack of alternative AC charging options. I mean, it's more indicative of the state of USB charging standards than anything else, but with the Switch being USB PD compliant I'd have thought there'd be something which can output the 15V it wants. Do I really have to shell out £25 for a second adapter? I guess that's nothing compared to Apple prices, but still.

I have a decent USB-A (normal fat USB) charger that I used with the switch.  

It does 2.4A output, and happily worked with the Switch whilst I played Zelda.  i wasn't paying much attention, but I'd say it was at least maintaining the charge level.  Pretty sure I noticed the charge level was around 70 % and after playing for 90 minutes was around 80%.  

Not a scientific test as I also had it unplugged for a bit whilst I rotated the console all over the place for a Zelda shrine that wanted gyro controls ;)

I left it plugged in overnight and woke up to a full charged console as you'd expect.

This was with default auto brightness etc.

This is the charger I have:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Syncwire-Interchangeable-Adaptor-Lifetime-Warranty-Bank-White/dp/B011KPRE1G/

So I'd imagine any 2.4A USB-A charger will do the same and you may well have one laying around from another device..

Cable wise, I had some paranoia from the USB-C device frazling rumours so bought some decent quality ones, 2 pack of 2 metre long ones for a tenner:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-USB-C-Black/dp/B0161GVULY/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1488798395&sr=8-9&keywords=cable+matters+usb-c

14 hours ago, Paulando said:

OK, it's perfect! Very easy to apply, nice and thin, and stays on perfectly :hat:

IMG_4602.thumb.JPG.722577a1f782207589cb01e6064f5b77.JPG

I did this with Velcro and it seemed too thick and pushed the console too much to the back of the dock.

I removed it, and cut the velcro short, so it covers the flat bit, and 'just' sticks out a little where the 2 steps are in the dock that do the scratching. Seems ok to me.

53 minutes ago, Darren said:

I thought of this, but would I get a refund when I took them back, or just a replacement? If the latter I'd end up with an extra pair of grey controllers that I don't want (or rather, don't want to pay for!)

Argos, no fuss, refund with a receipt.

4 hours ago, deKay said:

Blaster Master Zero, should be up a 2pm. There's a 3DS version too.

I remember when I was young I had some Nintendo books, where they put a story around some of their franchises of the time. I had wizards and warriors, bionic commando and blaster master, which told the tale of a young boy who was unwittingly brought on an adventure with a beautiful alien lady who drove the tank to defeat some underground menance. His pet frog had been taken and mutated into one of the bosses and he was most distraught when - spoiler alert - it had to be killed in order for them to progress. There was some underlying romance plot between the boy and the alien, which even at the time I thought was odd, but I remember enjoying the story as much as any eight year old (or thereabouts) would. 

Switch back in stock at my local Smyths, so ordered one and picking up tonight.

Agonisingly, I ordered a sealed copy of Zelda off eBay, which was only posted today. Fingers crossed it arrives tomorrow. Still; I can get it set up and buy Snipperclips.

WOOO.

Have also ordered the adhesive felt Paulando posted earlier :)

I have a few questions before commiting to buying a switch

1 - I will be using it mainly as a handheld and use the dock rarely. So, I can charge I anyway, but how long does it take to charge up?

2 - Can I use the bundled controller without it being docked?

3 - Which case is best just for the screen?

54 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Those using velcro and the like - are you not just as well buying a screen protector that you can change if it gets too scratched?

Not really interested in sticking something all over the screen to prevent scratches on the bezel, but don't really want scratches on the bezel either?

29 minutes ago, sandman said:

I have a few questions before commiting to buying a switch

1 - I will be using it mainly as a handheld and use the dock rarely. So, I can charge I anyway, but how long does it take to charge up?

2 - Can I use the bundled controller without it being docked?

3 - Which case is best just for the screen?

1. Not sure, but using the packed in charger is just the same as using the dock, so you should be able to play and charge at any point?

2. It's bundled with a pair of JoyCons.  In either docked or portable mode you can use them:

Separate (as in not attached anything) in 2 hands.  

Separate as 2 player for games that support like SnipperClips / upcoming Mario Kart etc.

Together in the wonky dog grip.

As a portable device you can also use them attached to the 'tablet' where they will charge when it's plugged in.

3. I think most, if not all cases are the correct size for screen+joycons as that is the portable console.  Presuming you are not purchasing the frankly ridiculously priced charging grip (£25 for a USB C cable and a plastic shape with connectors) you'll be sticking them back on the side of the screen to charge anyway.

I must say, the method they've come up with for identifying the controller you're using is genius. Basically, every controller or Joy-Con can be connected, and you just press L+R which tells it what you're holding in each hand. Just wonderful.

Syncing and switching wireless controllers before now has always been a monumental pain in the arse.

You know I think the Switch really might do well. One person in my office bought one at launch because I kept going on about it, and he's already convinced a third to get one. I brought mine into work today and another three people were eyeing it enviously and talking about getting one. People just seem to want it when they see it, and nobody outside of nerd-boards like this place talks about dodgy joy-cons and screen scratches, just about how cool it looks.

2 minutes ago, GokouD said:

You know I think the Switch really might do well. One person in my office bought one at launch because I kept going on about it, and he's already convinced a third to get one. I brought mine into work today and another three people were eyeing it enviously and talking about getting one. People just seem to want it when they see it, and nobody outside of nerd-boards like this place talks about dodgy joy-cons and screen scratches, just about how cool it looks.

It's the communal side of it that I think will sell it, a portable console that's not a solitary experience. It's a USP that works as it's own marketing.

1 hour ago, Danster said:

Argos, no fuss, refund with a receipt.

OK, that's a job for Saturday then, thanks!

And I can do this guilt-free as I bought the Switch from Argos in the first place, and the faulty pads will get returned to Nintendo anyway, so I'm not scamming or abusing anyone's trust to get it sorted.

In other news, the more I hold the pro pad, the more I like it. Ironic that the most ergonomic pad ever is an optional extra for a console that's designed not to need it.

37 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Presuming you are not purchasing the frankly ridiculously priced charging grip (£25 for a USB C cable and a plastic shape with connectors)

There is no electrical connection between the Joy Cons and the console is there?  I thought they charged wirelessly and the charging grip is basically a wireless charger like those pads you can get for Samsung phones.

3 minutes ago, jatpool said:

Isn't there a paupers' non-tat version?