Nintendo Switch

deKay

Vita was bad to hold for any great length of time, and the rear touch pad was practically unusable for me, as in order to hold the device comfortably, I had to put my fingers across the back. The lack of the equivalent buttons to match a PS4 controller were the biggest mistake though. I platinumed Unit 13 but barely touched anything else & then it sat in a draw for months. 

3DS ( and its variants ) have always been a touch too small to be comfortable for long periods of use as well, but better than the Vita was. My issue with the 3DS is the poor placement of the second stick, making twin stick games unplayable. 

My point, finally, is that the Switch seems to address all those for me & is all I've wanted in a handheld for years, plus the fact that it's a home console at heart. I mostly play with the Pro Controller but spent three hours playing Shovel Knight in bed with the Joycons attached, no issues at all. 

If we get Pokemon, Monster Hunter & the kind of gems the 3DS has been enjoying, it's going to be an amazing ride. 

Disclaimer: I do have big hands!:lol:

Vita was fine except when trying to use the rear touchpad, then it was shit.

Holding the Switch is absolutely fine for me too. Though my preferred mode of play is TV with joycons freestyle, then Switch resting on the official case/stand on my lap with joycons freestyling, then handheld. But not much between the latter two modes.

The placcy controller grip is pish though, tried for 5 mins of Zelda last night. Nope, way too narrow. That will never be used again. Back to freestyle baby.

I love my Vita but the lack of L2/R2 & L3/R3, and that godawful rear touch pad, made it pretty useless for anything but fairly basic control schemes. Remote play was a great feature in theory but the controls made most PS4 games unplayable. 

Switch on the other hand has all that covered and more. It's an awesome machine.

That's good news.

I played 60 hours on Wii u but then bought a switch and have put in about 20 hours so far.

The gyro puzzles in shrines seem A LOT more difficult to control with the switch in handheld mode than they were on the Wii u tablet. 

7 minutes ago, partious said:

Does the switch pro controller have gyro aiming for arrows in Zelda?

Couldn't use the Wii u pro controller with Zelda because it didn't have gyro aiming. 

I took the opposite approach - sacrificed the gyro aiming for what i think is a significantly more comfortable pad. Also, 30 hours in on a single charge so far, which is nice.

Have they used cheapo gyro sensors in the Switch Joy Cons? The gyro seems a lot more finnicky and drifty than the one on the dual shock 4 for example.

Also, those that play in portable mode, does your kickstand keep flapping open?

I turned the gyro off in Zelda as soon as I worked out I could, super annoying. But that's just because I'm not used to it, if I'd come from playing a lot of Wii for example, I'm sure I'd be better with it. 

Arms will be the real test for that though. 

2 minutes ago, ph0rce said:

Arms will be the real test for that though. 

Splatoon 2 (next week) more like.

1 hour ago, Teeohbee said:

Also, those that play in portable mode, does your kickstand keep flapping open?

Mine is really tight. To the point where I'm afraid of leaving fingernail marks somewhere.

Yeah, it took me a wee while to get used to but using the gyro for fine tuning my aim as well as looking up and down greatly improved the game for me. I only just got around to playing it this year but it's magnificent and I'm very excited about the sequel. 

What's the gyro used for in Splatoon?

And more importantly, can I disable it without affecting how I play the game?

You don't need to use gyro on splatoon at all, but it's considered to the better option. I never used it at first, but switched to it after reading a lot of people raving about it. Since you're trying to paint the floor it makes a lot of sense. Also, if makes 180 degree turns a lot quicker.

17 hours ago, deKay said:

Because every time you switch region you lose all your credit.

It won't actually let you switch region if you have any credit. I just changed mine to the US, bought a couple of $20 eshop codes to buy Isaac with, and now I'm stuck with $0.01 credit. It says I can't change back to Europe unless I spend it, which I believe is impossible!?

I think the only way to do the account region back-and-forth thing is is you have a credit card that works on the US store, and thus can pay the exact amount.

3 hours ago, ph0rce said:

What's the gyro used for in Splatoon?

And more importantly, can I disable it without affecting how I play the game?

You can turn it off, but it's not advised. As others have said you're going to be limiting your movement drastically. Imagine trying to play CS:GO using a controller against a bunch of pros on M/KB. Like that but x100 as infuriating.

1 hour ago, JonnyLaurence said:

It won't actually let you switch region if you have any credit. I just changed mine to the US, bought a couple of $20 eshop codes to buy Isaac with, and now I'm stuck with $0.01 credit. It says I can't change back to Europe unless I spend it, which I believe is impossible!?

I think the only way to do the account region back-and-forth thing is is you have a credit card that works on the US store, and thus can pay the exact amount.

You can top up the remainder for a purchase. I had $4 spare on my US account, so I bought Snipperclips and paid the outstanding $16. Now I'm free to change regions (which I'm doing frequently) without worrying about losing any credit.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with purchases spread across different accounts until we know what plans Nintendo have in store for us.

2 minutes ago, JonnyLaurence said:

How did you pay the remaining $16? My Visa doesn't want to work on the US store. Asks for a zip code, tried putting a bunch of stuff in there but no joy :(

Sorry, my cards are Singaporean. They worked without issue whereas they never did on the WiiU.

This may be down to us authorising them for international use a few months back. You might want to try calling your bank and doing the same, you never know. I used a BS Alaskan zip code.

8 minutes ago, clippa said:

I'd heard good things about the gyro aiming in splatoon but I have to admit to turning it off pretty quickly in zelda. It felt very laggy.

Is it because zelda is 30fps, do you think? Does it feel a lot snappier and natural in splatoon or is it more or less the same?

Hmm, I've only ever played Splatoon on a TV with horrendous levels of lag, but Zelda feels much more responsive in comparison. Weird.

35 minutes ago, clippa said:

Aw. I might turn it back on and see if I can get used to it then.

I'd have thought targeting Guardian eyeballs with the right-stick alone would have been a bit of a nightmare. I had a friend here last week and he was trying to do just that, and failing drastically.