Jump to content
IGNORED

Nintendo Switch


deKay
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Aurelius said:

Hopefully there will be some more games, a hardware revision and a price cut by then.

 

By xmas. 

 

There will be more games. That much is certain. 

 

There won't be a proper revision except for new units to potentially have the joycon issue fixed out the factory. 

 

There is unlikely to be a price cut till next Easter. The best you are likely to get is a bundle with either Mario or Zelda for £300 which tbf is a £30 cut. Maybe £309. 

 

1 hour ago, Stolly said:

Apologies as I'm sure this will have been covered already but what's a good (the best?) power bank for a switch?

 

Ta

 

I got this one. It's a biggun but works perfectly and holds a huge charge. 

 

Portable Charger iMuto 20000mAh Compact Power Bank External Battery with Smart LED Display Battery Pack for iPhone 7 6 6S Plus, Nintendo Switch, iPad, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015R1ERXC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_CTkW2ABG9tbCt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

So with all these Neo Geo games and talk of Secret of Mana on the way does it seem like they are dropping the Virtual Console entirely?

 

I doubt it. I'm expecting E3 announcements for VC, including the rumoured GameCube VC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

So with all these Neo Geo games and talk of Secret of Mana on the way does it seem like they are dropping the Virtual Console entirely?

 

They've said they're not. So...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, ashmatuk said:

 

Does that have a USB C?

 

Quote

2 USB ports (2.1A & 1A) 

 

 

I'm using a Syncwire 2.4A USB charger with mine.  I plugged it in before entering a Divine Beast in Zelda as the Switch warned me of low battery (15%).

Played for say 30 minutes and the battery was at 12%.

I've used the same charger and seen it maintain % - obviously depending on how processor intensive the game is being I guess, and screen brightness, I'm still on default 'auto'

- so basically 2.4A won't always even maintain charge level, so 2.1 (if it even does 2.1) will be worse.

That said, if you keep it plugged in all the time, or from 50% or whatever, it'll certainly extend the battery..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ashmatuk said:

 

Does that have a USB C?

 

It charges the console with a USB C cable. 

 

I only use it to charge when not playing though and it seems to do quite a good job of that. 

 

I didn't actually know that USB C charging port was a particular thing but assume it must pump out higher power? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

 

I didn't actually know that USB C charging port was a particular thing but assume it must pump out higher power? 

 

It's a smaller connection, reversable so the cable can plug in either end unlike micro usb cables etc. It can output to different mediums, which is what the dock does in a sense, it has a usb-c to hdmi connection in there somewhere, transfer rates are faster, you can charge up to 100 watts instead of 2.5 which I think the micro usb is? You can charge laptops through it as well so I think it's a way of streamlining everything and making it so that everything can use the same cable eventually. It's got its perks ^_^ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bloodstained: Ritual of the night was cancelled for the Wii U yesterday and will now release on the switch. Don't know if anyone would be interested in knowing that. It's the director from the original castlevania game I believe?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

If you are looking for an alternative I ended up going for this one:

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M0EWED0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How would this one fare? I've ordered it, but I've no idea if it will blow up my Switch?!
I'm thinking about sending it back and am more inclined to go with your recommendation as it has a USB-C port. It's all a bit confusing though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Luseth said:

 

It's a smaller connection, reversable so the cable can plug in either end unlike micro usb cables etc. It can output to different mediums, which is what the dock does in a sense, it has a usb-c to hdmi connection in there somewhere, transfer rates are faster, you can charge up to 100 watts instead of 2.5 which I think the micro usb is? You can charge laptops through it as well so I think it's a way of streamlining everything and making it so that everything can use the same cable eventually. It's got its perks ^_^ 

 

But what I mean is the block I have has A standard USB connector. I charge the switch with it using a USB-USBC cable. Same as the one that comes with the Pro controller. 

 

If you use a power bank that has specific USBC connector and you use a USBC to USBC cable to charge the Switch does it make any difference? Does it charge faster?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bignige said:

How would this one fare? I've ordered it, but I've no idea if it will blow up my Switch?!
I'm thinking about sending it back and am more inclined to go with your recommendation as it has a USB-C port. It's all a bit confusing though!

 

From what I understand, USB-C to USB-C won't blow anything up.

The blow up issue was with USB-A (normal fat USB) to USB-C 'conversion' cables, and my understanding is that it's the source device that's likely to 'blow up' as the Switch demands too much power and it overheats.

 

My rule of thumb is to only use decent USB-A to C cables (I have a Cablematters 2 metre one from Amazon, Anker are another decent brand).

For C to C, everything should be fine.

 

I could be wrong though ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

 

But what I mean is the block I have has A standard USB connector. I charge the switch with it using a USB-USBC cable. Same as the one that comes with the Pro controller. 

 

If you use a power bank that has specific USBC connector and you use a USBC to USBC cable to charge the Switch does it make any difference? Does it charge faster?

 

USB-A can only provide 2.4amps max at 5v.

The Nintendo supplied USB C plug is rated WAY higher than this - 7.5 watts (5 volts @ 1.5 amps presumably for trickle charging when the console is off) and 39 watts (15 volts @ 2.6 amps) presumably for when you are in docked mode and using the extra CPU power to push 1080p to a TV.

 

In portable mode, the console seems to need somewhere in the middle to allow charging and playing.

The Anker one linked above has been mentioned on reddit and a bunch of US sites and seems decent.  It will supply 6A output over USB-C which is obviously much more than the 2.4A max of USB-A.

 

Or, Yes, it will charge faster, probably to the degree that you can play and charge, whilst my experience with a decent / max output USB-A 2.4A plug (not charge bank) is that it won't even maintain the current level (as I posted a few posts back).

 

 

Edit: Remember the device will only pull the number of amps it requires.  For example, if your phone can only charge at 1amp, it won't explode if you connect it to a 6amp charger.  It will just pull 1 amp...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, carleton said:

I played an hour of Zelda at lunch but this time turned off the Bluetooth on my phone. It's the first time I've had no controller issues. 

 

That would fit with people losing connection when they joycon is "behind their leg" - maybe it's too close to the phone in their pocket?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

 

That would fit with people losing connection when they joycon is "behind their leg" - maybe it's too close to the phone in their pocket?

 

It's more that their fleshy leg is a great barrier for the signal.  My Apple TV has a Bluetooth remote and has no issues with disconnecting over the same range as the joycons do.  Next time the wife is out I'm going to try shutting down as many devices as I can in the house to see if it has any impact.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Twinbee said:

This is wonderful news. Thank you.

 

giphy.gif

Yes, it is. I've been getting my fix via the iphone app for a while and in fairness it's pretty good. But playing on a larger screen with physical buttons will be great. Need windjammers now ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Napole0n said:

Metroid Prime with proper FPS controls would be something.

 

lol.

 

But yeah, VC Metroid Prime, Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario 2 and to a lesser extent, Mario Sunshine, would be bloody magical. They might suffer slightly with the lack of analogue triggers though, but I'd definitely buy GameCube Joy-Cons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.