Nintendo Switch

deKay

Not quite sure what's happening with my Switch. I have it plugged into HDMI 1 and my PS4 into HDMI 2. While watching iPlayer on PS4 last night, my TV kept flashing up the option to switch to HDMI 1, which it only does if a signal is coming through. It would only stay up on screen for 1-2 seconds whereas normally it stays on for a lot longer than that before disappearing. So it seems like my Switch, while in sleep mode, is still intermittently sending a signal to the TV? Why would it be doing that?

3 hours ago, VN1X said:

I guess the Switch is pretty durable after all?

BossyFickleEthiopianwolf-size_restricted

Plastic screen init.

8 minutes ago, Majora said:

Not quite sure what's happening with my Switch. I have it plugged into HDMI 1 and my PS4 into HDMI 2. While watching iPlayer on PS4 last night, my TV kept flashing up the option to switch to HDMI 1, which it only does if a signal is coming through. It would only stay up on screen for 1-2 seconds whereas normally it stays on for a lot longer than that before disappearing. So it seems like my Switch, while in sleep mode, is still intermittently sending a signal to the TV? Why would it be doing that?

I have some issues with mine in a 5 way switcher, the PS4 will always overrule it - I was trying to use ps4 for chat but play Zelda you see..

Today while on the PS4 a few times the screen went black as it it was auto switching and then the ps4 came back, its like the switch sometimes does a HDMI handshake when in sleep mode?

I think I will have to put it in a telly HDMI rather than through the amp, It doesn't seem to do DD or DTS so no loss I guess but it defi does something funky when sleeping.

Hmmm, thanks guys, hopefully it's something that can be patched. I wonder if there's an option to turn that notification off on my tv. It's either that or not putting the Switch into sleep mode which means getting up and walking to the console like a chump in order to turn it off.

This is starting to do my head in. Bought a WiFi extender specifically because of my Switch. It is literally plugged into the same plug socket as the switch. Couldn't be any closer. 

Well the bar is now a solid 2. Before it fluctuated between 1-2 but was mainly 1. God knows what you have to do to get a 3. And it clearly connects faster than before. Then I test connection and I get about 5Mbps. Which is better than the 1-2 Mbps I was getting before (sometimes less than 1). But then I connect my PS4 to the wifi extender and I'm getting 10 in the internet connection test every time. 

At this point I don't know if the Switch has the most terrible WiFi, my machine is faulty, or a bit of both. I guess 5 should be ok for Mario Kart but it's the principle to be honest. It's ridiculous I've had to spend 20 quid to get one machine to have a decent connection and then it's still getting half the speed of a machine that never needed the extender in the first place. 

I gave up trying to do wi-fi in docked mode and just bought a lan adapter from hori. Set my pc to sharing my wifi and voilá, a much better connection. My switch can now actually play the damn promo's in the news section.

47 minutes ago, Majora said:

This is starting to do my head in. Bought a WiFi extender specifically because of my Switch. It is literally plugged into the same plug socket as the switch. Couldn't be any closer. 

Well the bar is now a solid 2. Before it fluctuated between 1-2 but was mainly 1. God knows what you have to do to get a 3. And it clearly connects faster than before. Then I test connection and I get about 5Mbps. Which is better than the 1-2 Mbps I was getting before (sometimes less than 1). But then I connect my PS4 to the wifi extender and I'm getting 10 in the internet connection test every time. 

At this point I don't know if the Switch has the most terrible WiFi, my machine is faulty, or a bit of both. I guess 5 should be ok for Mario Kart but it's the principle to be honest. It's ridiculous I've had to spend 20 quid to get one machine to have a decent connection and then it's still getting half the speed of a machine that never needed the extender in the first place. 

Pretty sure Nintendo have said the next firmware is going to have some wifi fixes - I have gone with a lan adaptor, CEX have the Nintendo ones for £6.50!

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

Pretty sure Nintendo have said the next firmware is going to have some wifi fixes - I have gone with a lan adaptor, CEX have the Nintendo ones for £6.50!

Hmmm, well fingers crossed. Don't think a LAN adapter would work with my set up to be honest. 

Now that the Zelda and new machine shine is wearing off, I do feel a bit let down by the hardware to be honest. 280 quid at launch and I have a machine with poor WiFi, the left joycon issue, that annoying HDMI in sleep mode thing, no option to save to SD card or cloud saves if anything goes wrong. An eShop that is clearly not finished and feels like a cheap web browser. 

None of the issues are massive on their own but combined they do make me feel like a beta tester. Either this wasn't tested properly or it was rushed out the door with the view to fixing everything later. It was still worth it for Zelda but I kind of want to start hearing/seeing some action from them soon. 

4 hours ago, Majora said:

Hmmm, well fingers crossed. Don't think a LAN adapter would work with my set up to be honest. 

Now that the Zelda and new machine shine is wearing off, I do feel a bit let down by the hardware to be honest. 280 quid at launch and I have a machine with poor WiFi, the left joycon issue, that annoying HDMI in sleep mode thing, no option to save to SD card or cloud saves if anything goes wrong. An eShop that is clearly not finished and feels like a cheap web browser. 

None of the issues are massive on their own but combined they do make me feel like a beta tester. Either this wasn't tested properly or it was rushed out the door with the view to fixing everything later. It was still worth it for Zelda but I kind of want to start hearing/seeing some action from them soon. 

I'm totally loving my Switch, not had any problems with the Joycons (touch wood) but yeah, I have to agree with you on some of those points. The Wifi in particular is absolute ball bags! It won't even play the vids on the news section without buffering or whatever. Also the E-Shop in its current state is, well.......dismal.

Never bothered with a Wii-U, there was only Bayonetta 2 that I really, really, reeeeeeeaaaaally wanted to play (this better be re-released on the Switch or else) and to a lesser extent I suppose Pikmin 3. One of the things that put me off was what a mess the console was combined with just how far behind Nintendo had fallen in some areas. To be honest, outside of the actual games themselves, and the ingenuity of design they show in their hardware, I think they still are monumentally behind. I honestly believe if they screw up with the Switch it could be the last console they make. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they end up working on stuff alongside Apple or just going software only.

Just now, ph0rce said:

Is that a brand of TV thing then, or the type of HDMI?

I have a Sony from around 18 months ago, it's never done that once. 

Not sure what causes it, but it's done it on my HDMI adapter for my old Panasonic plasma quite a few times. 

Regarding wifi issues, have people taken the IT Crowd route?  I hadn't been able to connect to the eShop or anything until this morning when I fully turned the machine back off and on again.  It's flawless for me again now, no video buffering or anything.

I can't seem to find details on the charging specs - would my little Anker charger which outputs at 5V 2A be up to the task? It's not specifically for use with USB C, but I assume since it's happy with Lightningbolt and Micro USB it won't care what shape is on the other end of the output cable, so long as it's standard USB on its end, like this one for example?

32 minutes ago, Popo said:

I can't seem to find details on the charging specs - would my little Anker charger which outputs at 5V 2A be up to the task? It's not specifically for use with USB C, but I assume since it's happy with Lightningbolt and Micro USB it won't care what shape is on the other end of the output cable, so long as it's standard USB on its end, like this one for example?

Try it and see. The worst that can happen is it doesn't charge very quickly. 

1 hour ago, GwiDan said:

It keeps switching the TV to the switch's HDMI input even when the console is asleep for a few seconds. 

I have the same issue with the PS3 and PS4 - it's one of the reasons I keep them turned off at the mains. Sky HD box used to do it too, but hasn't for years so I assume they fixed it in an update.

Just now, Paulando said:

Why not just turn off the HDMI control setting on the respective consoles? Or does that not affect it?

Theres no option on the PS3. Haven't checked the PS4, but they're both on the same plug socket so it doesn't matter now anyway.