IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

19 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I just don't see the point. There's more than enough to get you started, and memory card prices are just going to get cheaper and cheaper, as they always have. 128GB cards are £35 now, they'll be less than £20 next year and 256GB will be the new sweet spot. Half a TB won't be unrealistic the year after that. And helpfully, the storage magagement on the Switch is basically invisible to the user.

I totally agree as long as we don't see mandatory installs.

16 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

I totally agree as long as we don't see mandatory installs.

I don't understand why anything would need to install if it's on a card. Patches, DLC, etc, sure - but the game is on a card already. Why copy it from a fast card to a slower card?!

8 hours ago, geldra said:

Nah, it has slots on the stand where the vents are (assuming you mean the ones on the back towards the bottom?). You can kinda make them out on @Crhis' second photo. 

Ah, cool :)

I've seen similar looking stands that didn't have any kind of cut outs for the vents.

34 minutes ago, deKay said:

I don't understand why anything would need to install if it's on a card. Patches, DLC, etc, sure - but the game is on a card already. Why copy it from a fast card to a slower card?!

Digital Foundry tested the speeds of the various storage options and the onboard storage is faster than the game cards.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-best-microsd-cards-for-switch-loading-time-comparison

3 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

Digital Foundry tested the speeds of the various storage options and the onboard storage is faster than the game cards.

And SD cards?

EDIT: Found the article. Negligible gains with fast SD cards. Difference between card and internal isn't that much either, nothing like the differences between DVD and hard drive on the 360, anyway.

After my troubles with the Splatoon test fire and constant network connection issues my LAN adapter that I ordered arrived today. Pleased to report that it's seamless switching between wired and WiFi when undocking, but, critically for me at least, the connection speeds I'm getting whilst wired are double that of wireless, and hopefully there should be no more worries about where various devices are that could be interfering with signal when docked. Guess I'll find out properly when MK8 arrives. And hopefully the wireless connection for undocked play might be improved in a finished game as opposed to a network stress test...

If it's any use, connecting via 5GHz to a BT Home Hub is laughably slow. Connecting via 2.4GHz and it's waaaaaaaaaaay faster (and there are more "bars" in the connection indicator too).

5GHz on a Home Hub (5) is shite for most things, I've found. Sat next to it with my laptop I often get just 1.5Mb/s download. On 2.4GHz I get 74Mb/s.

Haven't downloaded Neo Turf Masters, but I certainly recommend it. So relaxing.

Do you know what I miss on the Switch, incidentally? The friendly, welcoming, whimsical feeling of the 3DS and Wii U interfaces. Street Pass, MiiVerse, Mii Plaza. The bare-bones interface of the Switch feels too antiseptic and stark, to be honest.

8 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Haven't downloaded Neo Turf Masters, but I certainly recommend it. So relaxing.

Do you know what I miss on the Switch, incidentally? The friendly, welcoming, whimsical feeling of the 3DS and Wii U interfaces. Street Pass, MiiVerse, Mii Plaza. The bare-bones interface of the Switch feels too antiseptic and stark, to be honest.

There is a lack of personality there, but I kind of like how clean it is. I always found the Mii aesthetic to be like an Ikea showroom in that it was strangely bland. Ah, maybe not Ikea, maybe more like a dentist's waiting room or a flight safety card on a plane. The Mii designs, the menus, the muzak... there was just something I didn't get about it.

As someone who has no interest in paying for and collecting multiple figures yet an almost insurmountable urge to unlock Epona, a wolf companion and a variety of high fashion outfits in Zelda, am I right in thinking this can be used to download multiple amiibo data instead?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/PC-Video-Games/Amiibo-Action-Replay-Powersaves-Nintendo-Wii-3DS/B00WTDI2OM/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490718873&sr=1-1&keywords=amiibo+action+replay 

11 minutes ago, Strafe said:

As someone who has no interest in paying for and collecting multiple figures yet an almost insurmountable urge to unlock Epona, a wolf companion and a variety of high fashion outfits in Zelda, am I right in thinking this can be used to download multiple amiibo data instead?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/PC-Video-Games/Amiibo-Action-Replay-Powersaves-Nintendo-Wii-3DS/B00WTDI2OM/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490718873&sr=1-1&keywords=amiibo+action+replay 

http://www.n2elite.com/

9 minutes ago, hombre_hompson said:

..and less than 24 hours later it's here!

Can you or anyone else let us know if the latest batch has any left joy on issues?

im hoping no one else gets this problem of course, just want to know if the latest batch has fixed the issue or if it will take a few more weeks before the fixed ones roll out.

3 minutes ago, Malc said:

Can you or anyone else let us know if the latest batch has any left joy on issues?

im hoping no one else gets this problem of course, just want to know if the latest batch has fixed the issue or if it will take a few more weeks before the fixed ones roll out.

Yeah of course, I was wondering that myself. Won't get to try it until Thurs but will report back.

43 minutes ago, g wings said:

How do these work? Do they basically have all the amiibo codes contained in them?

I think the removable disc is re writeable and you go on the app or website and basically create the code for the amiibo you want on it 

25 minutes ago, Malc said:

Not sure if this is of any help........

I picked my Switch up on the 16th of March from Argos. Not had any problems with the left Joycon at all, everything has worked flawlessly apart from Wifi. I've got pretty shit internet to be fair but, the PS4 works fine for both playing online and whilst watching stuff like YouTube or iplayer in Hd. 

On the other hand my Switch won't play any of the vids on the News section without buffering every few seconds. Basically stuffs unwatchable, which sucks. Tried Fast RMX online and I can finish races in 1st place only to be listed as 3rd or 4th on the results screen. :/ Hoping Mario Kart is going to be ok.

7 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

Not sure if this is of any help........

I picked my Switch up on the 16th of March from Argos. Not had any problems with the left Joycon at all, everything has worked flawlessly apart from Wifi. I've got pretty shit internet to be fair but, the PS4 works fine for both playing online and whilst watching stuff like YouTube or iplayer in Hd. 

On the other hand my Switch won't play any of the vids on the News section without buffering every few seconds. Basically stuffs unwatchable, which sucks. Tried Fast RMX online and I can finish races in 1st place only to be listed as 3rd or 4th on the results screen. :/ Hoping Mario Kart is going to be ok.

If you test connection on both your PS4 and Switch is there a big difference in the download speeds they give?

There was for me. I ended up having to get the LAN adapter as the Switch was giving me half the speed of my PS4. Had the buffering videos problem too. 

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

Read any of the reviews. 

Been putting some time into Fast RMX and it's pretty decent but not really a substitute for F-Zero. Many tracks are just slight variations on tilting your car slightly left and right while changing colour to hit the boosts. 

What's really bugging me though is the AI. This seems to have some horrendous cheating and rubberband AI going on, even on beginner. Whether you get the start boost or not you can guarantee that 1st and 2nd place will go roaring off into the distance rarely to be seen again (after the first few cups anyway) while those behind you are constantly ramming you from behind with boosts even though they're terrible at actually picking up those boost orbs. 

Even more damningly, if you don't use boost at all they seem to slow right down with you and don't overtake you with nearly the force you'd expect given their relentlessness when you go full out, which is classic rubberbanding. 

It's kind of sucking the fun out of single player for me. Hopefully online is a bit better.