IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

Got mine a couple of weeks after launch. It was pretty much an impulse buy purely to play Zelda. I didn't even know anything about Mario Odyssesy at the time or any of the other games that had been announced. Been purely PS4 for me for ages. Became VERY disillusioned with Nintendo and the direction their games where taking after the Wii, so skipped the Wii U entirely.

All I can say is that the Switch is now my go to console. Put over 55hrs into Zelda and barely feel like I've scratched the surface of  that. It's been 55hrs of pure awesomeness too! Not been back to Horizon since or even turned the PS4 on! Played Fast RMX for over 10hrs which has been ace. Picked up Shock Troopers, which I just can't stop playing, along with Neo Turf Masters (awesomeness) Snake Pass (infuriating but really good) and Metal Slug, which I've yet to start on. Looking forward to Yooka Laylee and Mario Kart 8 (never played it with not owning a Wii U), in the next few weeks. 

So yeah, the hardware itself is brilliant! Being able to literally "switch" between hand held and TV mode is great. It really is the best of both words and they compliment each other perfectly. Mostly played Zelda on my 50incher but being able to dip into it at the drop of a hat no matter where I am is really cool. The Neo Geo stuff I wouldn't even have bought unless it was a handheld but bizarrely I'm now enjoying playing that stuff on the big screen too! Basically, I totally love the little machine and the games that are currently on offer are top notch, with plenty more to come. 

Only downside is is that the Wifi is pretty shit on mine and buffers videos to all fuck despite having a good enough connection. Tried this at a few different places and it's the same no matter where. Outside of that had zero problems. All shit has its problems,  the Switch isn't any different but there's nothing particularly out of the ordinary to worry about. I'd say, if ya want one, then go for it man! :) May as well have it now and be getting enjoyment out of playing it, sooner than wait around on a bit of a price cut or updated hardware, both of which are, I'd guess at least, not going to be seen for at least another year or more. 

Long story short.........get ya wallet out! :) 

I was looking at which WiiU exclusives I'm actually sad I missed out on, and it basically comes down to these:

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Paper Mario: Color Splash
Pikmin 3
Super Mario 3D World

Yoshi's Wooly World

Nintendo, do your port thing and I'll (probably) buy all of these.

The WiFi is shit. The battery life is a little bit disappointing, both joycons have intermittent connection and charging issues, and now the right stick is making clunking, metallic sounds every time it returns to neutral.

But it's let me play by far the greatest game ever made in any place I want to.

So, in the words of Cpt Raymond J. Holt: VIN-DIC-A-TED!!

26 minutes ago, jonamok said:

But it's let me play by far the greatest game ever made in any place I want to.

High praise indeed for Neo Turf Masters. 

No regrets here either, may have to send my joycons off to get the foam fix but I don't really mind. Hoping for some cool announcements at E3 for it. Looking forward to MK8 as I barely touched the WiiU ver. 

Wifi has been discussed a lot I know. I get a fairly weak signal in handheld mode but it actually works fine and never have any issues with connection or streaming. Weirdly as soon as I dock the connection I have real issues and can't stream videos without buffering every few seconds. The dock is inches away from the router and if I have it in handheld mode right next to the dock and its then fine again...

I love the switch but it feels like it has significant issues... leftjoycongate, bananagate, wifigate

Nintendo's Left Joycon repair turnaround has slowed down a bit.  I posted mine off last Tuesday the 28th and the Parcelforce tracking said they received it on Thursday the 30th at lunch.  Nintendo only confirmed receipt yesterday (4th) after I called them to check on my repair status and I've not heard anything since!  Thankfully I've got another set of Joycons so I've still been able to play Zelda.  Once I get the repaired one back I'm sending my spare one off to be fixed.  :blink:

I've not really played with the joycons and the console so not noticed any issues myself. It's fine in handheld mode. My wifi is also fine, even at my dads where their wifi is pretty shit, I was downstairs at the other side of the house and still connecting ok.

So yeah no regrets here at all. I bloody love my Switch and it was worth every penny.

40 minutes ago, g wings said:

Wifi has been discussed a lot I know. I get a fairly weak signal in handheld mode but it actually works fine and never have any issues with connection or streaming. Weirdly as soon as I dock the connection I have real issues and can't stream videos without buffering every few seconds. The dock is inches away from the router and if I have it in handheld mode right next to the dock and its then fine again...

I love the switch but it feels like it has significant issues... leftjoycongate, bananagate, wifigate

I had the same, I just gave up and got the LAN adapter and now it's fine when docked. It's crazy how much the dock seems to affect the signal.

1 hour ago, MidWalian said:

Lego City Undercover looking good on the Switch:

More at:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_our_switch_videos_of_lego_city_undercover-18971_en.html

I have this on the Wii U but couldnt really get on with it, I'm sure there is a great game in there but the loading times were bit just bad but game breaking IMO - can you imagine having a session on Zelda and then playing this with the same kinda loading times as Wii U version :o

36 minutes ago, Onze said:

Nintendo's Left Joycon repair turnaround has slowed down a bit.  I posted mine off last Tuesday the 28th and the Parcelforce tracking said they received it on Thursday the 30th at lunch.  Nintendo only confirmed receipt yesterday (4th) after I called them to check on my repair status and I've not heard anything since!  Thankfully I've got another set of Joycons so I've still been able to play Zelda.  Once I get the repaired one back I'm sending my spare one off to be fixed.  :blink:

I plan to do the same, really should get on the phone as they never answered my online request...

1 hour ago, Onze said:

Not been paying much attention - but Nintendo are fixing left Joycons?

7 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Not been paying much attention - but Nintendo are fixing left Joycons?

Yep give them a call on 0345 60 50 247 and book in a repair. They may try to get you to send the entire console back to the retailer you bought it from.  But just say you're not willing to lose your game saves and they'll just offer to repair the Joycon.  

13 hours ago, MidWalian said:

If accurate, I don't expect a price cut anytime soon. After the retailer cut I don't think Nintendo are making much of a profit per unit. The profit must be in the pro controllers :)

That must mean they're making a loss, surely? $40 for a retailer after factoring package and shipping etc.

10 hours ago, catinthehat said:

Just a quick question for those of you that have had your Switches for a while: Knowing what you now know, would you still have bought on day 1?

I haven't had any of the problems, the only thing is the lack of games which I can easily forgive because Zelda is all I've been wanting to play for the last month anyway (although I did get Fast RMX and Shovel Knight TT as well, but only checked a few minutes beyond the title screen of both). Zelda of this quality is a marvel, the option to play it in handheld mode makes it divine. 

So yeah, no regrets. Although I expect a layer of dust accumulating between the big releases unless there's a steady stream of good indie stuff to keep it going.

10 hours ago, catinthehat said:

Just a quick question for those of you that have had your Switches for a while: Knowing what you now know, would you still have bought on day 1?

I very much would have :)

I haven't used it as much as most people, my PS4 is still my main console. But my switch is my drop in session sort of thing. So my PS4 is for my longer stints, I play the switch if I don't know how much time i'm going to spend on it. ^_^ Being able to just pick it up and plonk it down in the kitchen when i'm cooking and carry on with Zelda is fantastic. I haven't had any of the issues everyone else has had either. They mostly seem to be things that will be ironed out in manufacturing as opposed to a version 2 switch. I plan to spend the whole of my 4 day holiday on it while i'm away with the misses and her family. Zelda, I Am Setsunda and lego city undercover :) Lots of gaming there

I'm mixed.

I loved it (Joycon issues not withstanding) and I loved Zelda - but I've not turned it on in weeks.

ME:A has got me on the PS4 - and with it's MP I can see it holding attention for a long while.

I don't regret my purchase - but it was a lot of money for a few amazing weeks :P

Still watching Mario Kart (and hoping for decent online interaction)

Not really played a Lego game, and perhaps I'm not the demographic, because as pleasant as the graphics look, the gameplay looks very telegraphed, hand-holdy and dull, and the control looks imprecise and frustrating.

Basically I've been ruined by you know what.

3 minutes ago, U-1 said:

I seriously can't believe people are "done" with Zelda already... there is just so much game to it! 

I'll be playing it for the foreseeable future, and it's not as though I haven't already put a decent amount of time into it. I guess some people are just always looking towards 'the next big thing' but for me there is no next big thing.

I regret nothing. 80 hours into Zelda with about a quarter of that in handheld mode. It's been a big financial outlay for one game but that game is the shit...thankfully.  If I only played Zelda on it then I'd actually be ok with that. It's a top 5 game of all time for sure! Console is best thing since the Cube.