Nintendo Switch

2 hours ago, BubbleFish said:

Anyone know now if there's a chance Game will swap over in store? I've not even had it for 3 weeks.

I've had my Switch for two weeks and noticed that I had the left joycon desyncing problem a couple of days ago. I got onto Game through their online chat and they agreed to me going into my local store and swapping the joycons for new ones so its worth contacting them.

I sort of agree with @Broker. As a big Nintendo fan I was very tempted by the switch but ultimately there wasn't a lot to purchase in this initial period. I went for Zelda on Wii U and won't bother with MK8 deluxe as I played MK8 a lot on Wii U. I'll certainly get a Switch once Mario is released, but I just knew that if I got it at launch I'd end up filling it with sub-standard games (and yeah I think there's a lot of that going on here). If you didn't have a Wii U it totally makes sense to get a Switch. Personally I didnt think Nintendo did enough to convince Wii U owners.

12 minutes ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Really want to pick up a Switch this week for MK8, but finding availability a bit of an issue.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to hunt down a Switch (preferably Neon)?

1. Walk into Smyths on Friday morning.

2. Walk out with a Switch and Mario Kart 8 for £309.99.

TjgLPRS.jpg

55 minutes ago, Hylian said:

I sort of agree with @Broker. As a big Nintendo fan I was very tempted by the switch but ultimately there wasn't a lot to purchase in this initial period. I went for Zelda on Wii U and won't bother with MK8 deluxe as I played MK8 a lot on Wii U. I'll certainly get a Switch once Mario is released, but I just knew that if I got it at launch I'd end up filling it with sub-standard games (and yeah I think there's a lot of that going on here). If you didn't have a Wii U it totally makes sense to get a Switch. Personally I didnt think Nintendo did enough to convince Wii U owners.

There ain't as many sub standard games as you think. Some of the indie stuff is great. I can only think of a few stinkers in it's library so far.

20 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

There ain't as many sub standard games as you think. Some of the indie stuff is great. I can only think of a few stinkers in it's library so far.

Most people seem to be playing a Tetris game and a neo geo golf game...

Look that's great if you genuinely have nothing better to play, but I've got a huge backlog of games on the PS4. My point is that having a new system you get this burning need to keep using it so you fill it with games. 

41 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Really, that's your undisputed fact of the day, ffs.

No it's not a fact, it's my opinion from reading all of this thread over the last month. You know, if the discussion was simply statements of fact, it would get somewhat boring. How about you offer your opinion and we'll have a discussion about it?

5 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

1. Walk into Smyths on Friday morning.

2. Walk out with a Switch and Mario Kart 8 for £309.99.

TjgLPRS.jpg

I'm really hoping for something similar here. That figure equates to $522AU. Currently you can buy the Switch for $469 (£277) and a few places are in a price war with MK8DX - selling it for $69 (£40) or lower still.

13 hours ago, Broker said:

The problem with telling people their opinions are horseshit is the opinions part. What you're doing is no different from me warning people that the console they're about to buy is horseshit. The difference is that my opinion doesn't get a flurry of NDF green, it gets their rage about hearing reasonable critiques of their purchases.

You're getting negged for being a rude idiot in a Switch thread. Same happens in the PS4 and Xbox threads. That and you're pretty much repeating yourself by this point. 

When folks discuss the value proposition of the Switch, I always think 'you're not buying it just for the launch titles are you'? As a fan, I trust that Nintendo are sure to release a decent catalogue of games over the lifespan of the machine.

I personally didn't buy a switch, opting for the Wii U version of Zelda instead. I regret this now.  Partly because the Wii U version slows down very often, but more because the hybrid nature is proving such a winner for real world use for so many people.

10 minutes ago, Beezer said:

When folks discuss the value proposition of the Switch, I always think 'you're not buying it just for the launch titles are you'?

I've literally bought it for the first year tier one first party games: Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart.

Zelda is sufficient.

My rule has always been to wait until there are 5 titles I really want on a console, which means that I didn't go in launch day on anything in the past. I did get a DS on day 2, and probably would have gotten a Wii if it was possible, but had to wait for a couple of weeks for that one. Nintendo are basically the reason why I broke my rule. There's no question they'll release more than 5 games that I must have during the life of the console itself. 

I also bought a PS4 before the 5-game threshold was reached, because it was clear pretty early on that was the one to plump for in this generation,

Zelda on its own has been more than enough justification. Mario Kart 8, despite being a game I already have, will further cement this because the difference that being able to play Zelda on my train ride has made to my enjoyment of the game is more than palpable. It's massive. Playing on my TV only, I'd have had to squeeze what I could out of it. However, the freedom to play a little bit here and an awful lot there has opened things up for me. There's literally no pressure, no wasted time. The design of the game itself has helped with this, unquestionably, as I have basically completed the majority of shrines during my commute and/or lunchbreak.

I can only imagine how phenomenal the buzz will be around Mario Odyssey, because by then everyone will have succumbed to the Switch!

6 hours ago, Hylian said:

Most people seem to be playing a Tetris game and a neo geo golf game...

Look that's great if you genuinely have nothing better to play, but I've got a huge backlog of games on the PS4. My point is that having a new system you get this burning need to keep using it so you fill it with games. 

I'd say that most people are still playing Zelda, which is likely the reason they've bought a Switch. I have Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian and Nioh sitting there untouched. Not because they're not any good but because Zelda is just so amazing. And because I find it tricky fitting my PS4 and telly in my bag.

There's no burning desire to buy games for the sake of it,, but it's also bollocks to suggest that there's nothing else worth playing on it either. Is Snake Pass not worth playing on PS4 either, or Wonder Boy?

Oh, I also have a small indie game coming this week. Mario Kart 8, dunno if you've heard of it. Probably just filler ^_^

3 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

Hylian and Broker are absolutely right

They're really not, about a number of things.

When considering Broker's opinion bear in mind that this is the guy sitting there telling everyone what an overpriced waste the Switch is, yet he bought one just so he could play Zelda on the bus. He'd already completed it on Wii U but it was so good that he couldn't stop himself spending a further £330 to play it on the bus. If that doesn't tell what an essential game Zelda is then I don't what does.

4 minutes ago, kernow said:

Well, technically it is filler, so. 

Well then so is Zelda.

I have 3 games on it as of present and i'm not in a rush to keep buying for it to be honest. Zelda, I am Setsuna and now Lego City undercover. The number of hours I can sink into those games alone is impressive (having not owned a Wii U previously). With Mario Kart out this week i'm up to 4 games that I know I will genuinely love and none of them are golf or Tetris :D

Games I most definately will purchase this year provided there are no delays and /or when funds allow -

Disgaea 5 - Think it's ideal for the switch, being able to take it away with me as well.

Has been heroes

Battle Chasers Night war

Fire Emblem Warriors (Think that's out Q3? But no release date)

Stardew Valley - Again I think it will be ideal for the switch

Super Mario Odyssey

Minecraft I will be picking up as the misses loves it but it's a digital game on my PS4 and it's not often I'm away from that console enough for her to sink a few hours in.

Fate/Extella - The Umbral Star

Sonic Mania

Wonderboy & Monsterboy (Just haven't been able to afford the former until today)

There are a number of other games that haven't been confirmed 100% for this year i.e. Xenoblade, Yokaa Laylee etc etc but to me that's a fantastic first year (thats only what 8 months and not 12).

So for anyone who's on the fence look at what's coming over the horizon and tell me you would want to miss out on that lot :D 

Now I know many of those games are out on other consoles but the portability makes it worth getting on the Switch ^_^ Being able to sit and play it anywhere you like. To me it has the makings to be my favourite console. The PS4 will still get plenty of look in but as I said the portability adds just that something more here. With plans to potentially start a family, move house etc it's going to be a hectic few years and this may well be the perfect tool to use :D

So in response to @Hylian yes there are a number of people in here commenting on two smaller titles. But I suspect that's because many of the people on this forum are too busy getting sunk into some great game worlds and aren't posting too much about them because they are too busy enjoying them. Why come on your laptop to post about the Switch when you are away from it when you can pick up the Switch and take it away and carry on playing it :D

But that's not to say I disagree with you. When buying a new console you want to justify the purchase, in order to do that you need to use it and make the most of it. It's like any electrical item you own. People will download plenty of sub-standard apps on their phone just to fill it up and use it regardless of the quality of apps at times. So I do see where you are coming from ^_^

I don't really jump in at launch for things ever. Not sure why. I guess I too wanted there to generally be a few games for me to mess around with to make the purchase feel justified.

Switch plus Zelda completely turned that on its head. If I am completely happy playing Zelda for two 'solid' (i.e. As much game time as I can dedicate) months, why do I need any other games? 100 hours later. Doesn't it represent much better value for money to have bought one game, spent 100 excellent hours on it, rather than 3-5 other games and perhaps still not reach that total?

This console purchase has felt more justified to me than any in the short time I've had it so far.

Which all sounds a bit supportive of There Are No Other Games Only Zelda, but there's three others I want to buy out now, I just haven't because I know they will just sit there until I'm done with Zelda.

I'd rather not need to spend an extra £100-150 on games to get value out of a new console in the early days is I think what I'm saying. But it seems that is what some people want.

I do agree that committed Wii U owners may not have a reason to jump yet though. Unfortunately I wasn't very committed to mine past the first year, so it's all good for me.

8 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah, pull the other one @deKay 

I thought maybe it might be Monster Hunter but there's already a 5th isn't there? And a 6th? And it hasn't been announced. And then MoHo wouldn't work anyway.

10 minutes ago, deKay said:

I thought maybe it might be Monster Hunter but there's already a 5th isn't there? And a 6th? And it hasn't been announced. And then MoHo wouldn't work anyway.

There's way more than five or six, but the last main numbered one was Monster Hunter 4. MoHo is the nickname for it.