IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Do you think it's just a wii u port ala mario kart so they haven't really tried to improve it too much? 

Well, they've made it about 13 times the size.

1 hour ago, Jonny5 said:

Spoke to Parcelforce this morning and they're initiating a search at their central hub and if they don't find it there then they'll ask the Cambridge hub to search..  Might hear something back by the end of the week.  FML.

Sorry to hear that :(.

My left joycon was giving me enough trouble in mario kart that I stumped out for a pro controller, and very nice it is too. I also bought some screwdrivers and foam so I can fix the left joycon myself, because screw going through the rigamarole that @Jonny5 has had to endure. Watched a couple of YouTube vids - you literally just unscrew it all, pop out the battery and put the foam in before putting it all back together - if it's really as easy as that, I'll be able to do it no worries. Really is no need to send it off to Nintendo when you can do it yourself for a few quid. I'll let you know how I get on! :unsure:

Back to Minecraft. I've never played it, so to echo Dr Shark, is a 'chunk' a block? I.e. you can only see 7 blocks (7 metres) in any direction? That can't be what it means. I can see pretty much kilometres in any direction in Zelda, but only 7m in Minecraft?

Please understand explain.

19 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

My left joycon was giving me enough trouble in mario kart that I stumped out for a pro controller, and very nice it is too. I also bought some screwdrivers and foam so I can fix the left joycon myself, because screw going through the rigamarole that @Jonny5 has had to endure. Watched a couple of YouTube vids - you literally just unscrew it all, pop out the battery and put the foam in before putting it all back together - if it's really as easy as that, I'll be able to do it no worries. Really is no need to send it off to Nintendo when you can do it yourself for a few quid. I'll let you know how I get on! :unsure:

Have you bought the foam?

I ordered the screwdriver late one afternoon and got it delivered the next day - 99p so no idea how they manage it!! I know I have a set but can't find them, for 99p cab to look!

Is it the same foam that they use to line the boxes that hard drives come packaged in?

Mind you, I haven't had any problems with my Joy-Cons, even when using four at once during a Mario Kart session last weekend.

I got all the stuff to fix it myself, only my right one was just as unusable as the left so thought I'd give Nintendo a shot as sorting it before I tried.  I still expect that they won't work when they come back and I'll ultimately need to return the whole lot for replacement.  Here's hoping transferring saves to sd card is implemented before I resort to that.

21 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Back to Minecraft. I've never played it, so to echo Dr Shark, is a 'chunk' a block? I.e. you can only see 7 blocks (7 metres) in any direction? That can't be what it means. I can see pretty much kilometres in any direction in Zelda, but only 7m in Minecraft?

Please understand explain.

A chunk is 16 blocks, so 7 chunks is 112 blocks.

Still pretty far, I'd say.

3 hours ago, ann coulter said:

And just like that I'm no longer interested. Why is there always a catch with Nintendo?

Have you played the vita version?

My little one is minecraft mad and mainly plays it on the Mac but she loves the vita version and from what I've seen there is loads on screen with no obv N64 fog of doom!

7 minutes ago, DC07 said:

Can't compete with the VR experience but I'm still considering double dipping so I can love my Switch that little bit more.

If they've done HD Rumble right, it will be worth it.

I've watched a couple of vids of this and have no idea what the gameplay involves.  It looks like an on-rails thing, but I can't tell anymore than that.  Seems a bit fast for me /old man.

22 minutes ago, DC07 said:

Can't compete with the VR experience but I'm still considering double dipping so I can love my Switch that little bit more.

If they've done HD Rumble right, it will be worth it.

Awesome. Been holding out for this version. It's released this week right? 

34 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

I got all the stuff to fix it myself, only my right one was just as unusable as the left so thought I'd give Nintendo a shot as sorting it before I tried.  I still expect that they won't work when they come back and I'll ultimately need to return the whole lot for replacement.  Here's hoping transferring saves to sd card is implemented before I resort to that.

Oof, right one, too? Unlucky :S

I mean, once they come back and if they still don't work, you could buy another pair from Amazon, keep the new ones, put the old ones in the box and return as faulty for a refund? Cheeky, I know, but it could work. 

I've already bought & returned a second pair of joy-con and they were the same.  I think its either the Switch itself at fault or just my room is choc full of interference somehow.  

I have a Neon switch as well so the replacement joy-con are different colours to the original ones, I'm sure this will make sorting out replacements from Parcelforce/Nintendo really simple if mine don't turn up.

28 minutes ago, DC07 said:

Ooh, I never played this so I'll be buying it for sure.

I own Minecraft on about 14 platforms but it's never held my interest for more than an hour. The Switch seems like the perfect platform to enjoy it on though so I'm considering buying that too...

Do you have a plasma TV?  I'm wondering if the big old chunk of glass on the front of that might be part of the cause and a plastic screened LCD wouldn't have the same issues.

Then I remember my Apple TV is in a cabinet with the door shut and the stupid touch remote it comes with is kept in a metal tin and it still manages to work when I don't want it to and its likely just the Switch is a bit shit.  I even tried taking my smart watch off in case that being in close proximity to the joy-cons was causing an issue.

Stopped by Game to exchange 30 Game dollars for 30 Nintendo FunBux. All set for Hollow Knight (It's only £10.99 on PC). Not sure what else to get. I might get Snake Pass or Tumbleseed but neither look essential. I haven't got Fast RMX, either but can't see myself playing that and MK8 at the same time.

9 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Stopped by Game to exchange 30 Game dollars for 30 Nintendo FunBux. All set for Hollow Knight (It's only £10.99 on PC). Not sure what else to get. I might get Snake Pass or Tumbleseed but neither look essential. I haven't got Fast RMX, either but can't see myself playing that and MK8 at the same time.

Do we have a release date for Hollow Knight yet?

49 minutes ago, shynra said:

Reveal hidden contents

I thought it meant on Vita you only had 5 blocks around you rendered in full detail or something. That comparison makes this entire discussion look largely pointless.

I have no interest in Minecraft but can't see 7 chunks in portable mode getting in the way of anyone's enjoyment. If it looked like that when docked, then I could see why people would be irked.

8 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Do we have a release date for Hollow Knight yet?

Sadly not, but I think it might have something to do with Nintendo apparently not letting devs announce things yet and keeping a very tight control on the flow of games. I'm sort of assuming that it'll be out at some point in June/July at the latest, but I suppose it could be much longer than that.

26 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

Do you have a plasma TV?  I'm wondering if the big old chunk of glass on the front of that might be part of the cause and a plastic screened LCD wouldn't have the same issues.

Then I remember my Apple TV is in a cabinet with the door shut and the stupid touch remote it comes with is kept in a metal tin and it still manages to work when I don't want it to and its likely just the Switch is a bit shit.  I even tried taking my smart watch off in case that being in close proximity to the joy-cons was causing an issue.

I have a plasma and a shit tonne of electrical stuff around my switch inc a super router thingie that has a load of antennae and while I had a mild issue with left the 'repaired' one is spot on - oddly the thing that gives it the most grief pre fix was mobile phone - if all 3 were in the room presumably all sending BT signals around it was at its worst.

The only issue with the chunks in Minecraft is viewing big things you've built and taking pictures of them. You'll be fine building with 7 chunks view distance, you'll just not have as great of a view when you're trying to see it all from far away. Obviously on Switch you can switch over to docked mode to view more chunks and take screenshots.

On 04/05/2017 at 14:07, jimmbob said:

Are these things likely to ever be in stock?

I'm noticing a trend with new stuff. It seems not making enough things and/or withholding stock for months, is the new, making enough things and selling them for profit. Business is weird.

I look forward to the next generation of consoles, where we all preorder the PS5 and then never receive it, to create demand, or something.

From the the numbers we can see it seems like Nintendo are shipping quite a lot of stock but it's just all selling out. Given the response to the Wii U I don't think it's that surprising that they weren't cocky enough to produce 2 million for launch.

On 04/05/2017 at 21:44, Jonny5 said:

I'm not sitting on the train with the switch balanced precariously on its little kick stand while I sit there with a pro controller in my hands!

Hori play stand man! You look silly but it's SO COMFORTABLE.

On 05/05/2017 at 10:16, the_debaser said:

It'd look good. Wouldn't play as well as the Wii version with the lovely pointer controls though. Same as RE4, the ultimate version is, and probably always will be, on the Wii. 

If by definitive you mean "insultingly easy due to having a super accurate control scheme grafted into a game designed for an analogue stick".

21 hours ago, Bastion said:

Definite yes. Any word yet on which 'version' it is? Xbone/PS4 parity or 360/PS3?

It seems like it's the Bone/PS4 version with the largest map size disabled.