IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

43 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

Apparently, the Switch version of NBA Playgrounds is the worst version:

Can't watch this at the minute, but why? Performance? I'm happy to lose a little performance for a portable version. So long as it's just a little.

1 hour ago, Darhkwing said:

Pretty sure it was for the switch. There didn't seem to be any 3DS stuff except for a few games.

It had the plug part and the cable part separate in the box (like an ipad) . I was surprised it was so cheap.

It was for the 3DS; they have them in my local asda and I thought the same until I read the box. 

37 minutes ago, *chin* said:

Can't watch this at the minute, but why? Performance? I'm happy to lose a little performance for a portable version. So long as it's just a little.

They say it 'lacks some finer lighting from the XB1/PS4 version and is at a lower (sub 720p) resolution undocked (no mention of if docked is better or not I don't think).

They also take issue with no online modes in the current Switch build - but the developers have been clear about that for ages - it's coming in a patch shortly:

The online play for NBA Playgrounds Switch will *not* be available at launch – it will arrive a few days after launch via an update. Once this update comes out, the Switch version will have the exact same functionality as the PC, PS4, and Xbox One version – this means you can connect with people online and play against them 1v1, and there are online leaderboards. However online tournaments will not be up and running at launch for any platforms, this functionality will come at a later date via an update. We’ll share details on timing for the online tournaments as soon as we get it.

35 minutes ago, rgraves said:

They say it 'lacks some finer lighting from the XB1/PS4 version and is at a lower (sub 720p) resolution undocked (no mention of if docked is better or not I don't think).

They also take issue with no online modes in the current Switch build - but the developers have been clear about that for ages - it's coming in a patch shortly:

Ok, I'm fine with that then. Tiny graphical differences don't bother me that much.

I'm just in the process splurging all my cash on one of these. Aside from the console, a tempered glass screen protector, a travel case, and the Pro Controller, are there any other essentials? Do I need extra usbc cables for charging the Controller or anything? Are we still needing to line the dock with velvet to stop the machine from self harming?

7 minutes ago, jimmbob said:

I'm just in the process splurging all my cash on one of these. Aside from the console, a tempered glass screen protector, a travel case, and the Pro Controller, are there any other essentials? Do I need extra usbc cables for charging the Controller or anything? Are we still needing to line the dock with velvet to stop the machine from self harming?

Personally, I'd not say the Pro Controller was 'essential' - perhaps wait and see how you get on with the joy-cons/grip first - might save yourself £50-60 right there...

8 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Personally, I'd not say the Pro Controller was 'essential' - perhaps wait and see how you get on with the joy-cons/grip first - might save yourself £50-60 right there...

Thanks for that. The kids will be playing too, so thought getting another controller would be prudent. I figured with the joy-con and the Pro that gives scope for up to 3 players/ Plus I can hide the Pro from the kids so they don't get their dirty mitts all over it!

23 minutes ago, jimmbob said:

You've got everything you need there. The only other thing I'd suggest to you is a power bank if you plan playing on the move a lot, and/or a separate power adaptor. 

And if you plan on going all digital, a memory card.

Edit DON'T line the dock. Seriously, it's a tight fit and shouldn't scratch the console. Lining it could cause more problems than it solves. 

I've had a screen protector on since day one and there's not a mark on mine.

2 minutes ago, jimmbob said:

Thanks for that. The kids will be playing too, so thought getting another controller would be prudent. I figured with the joy-con and the Pro that gives scope for up to 3 players/ Plus I can hide the Pro from the kids so they don't get their dirty mitts all over it!

Maybe. But if you're OK with the joy-cons (I am), then another set of those is roughly the same price and would give you scope for up to 4 players (or 2 player ARMS if that's of any interest).

3 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

Does the official case have a stand and space for cartidges/joycon straps?

It has a stand and space for five carts. It also has a mesh pouch where you can store the Joycon straps, but it's not a comfortable fit with them in and bulges quite badly. Without the straps though it's a nice elegantly designed case 

I went to my local asda yesterday. The gaming section is really hidden away now. However.. there were LOADS of switch consoles, games and accessories. I was almost tempted to pick up another power adapter for £5 and a case. I had heard Bomberman was 30 quid there, but it was 40 when i checked.

It's £30 on these fine forums where I'm selling a copy in trading ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

You've got everything you need there. The only other thing I'd suggest to you is a power bank if you plan playing on the move a lot, and/or a separate power adaptor. 

And if you plan on going all digital, a memory card.

I think a power adaptor for holidays etc would be useful. I won't be paying £25 for the official one though. I'm sure a usb and a charger from a tablet would work, right?

Just now, jimmbob said:

I think a power adaptor for holidays etc would be useful. I won't be paying £25 for the official one though. I'm sure a usb and a charger from a tablet would work, right?

You can pick a charger up for about a tenner, then use the cable that comes with your Pro controller which is a USB C one.

Holy crap I found that American reviewer annoying. Could only watch a couple of minutes before I skipped to the end. I hate the whole trying to be funny by over explaining tiny details or bs story asides. It's like listening to a shit American version of Blackadder.

Just had my repair label sent through, but no guarantee they can keep the save which makes me very reluctant to send my console back, tbh.

Might just wait until save transfers are enabled (this has to happen, right?) the inevitable iSwitchLiteNewSwitchExtraNewNew is released then donate/trade/sell this on.

Left Joycon is going back for repair though. It's rubbish.

1 hour ago, jimmbob said:

Plus I can hide the Pro from the kids so they don't get their dirty mitts all over it!

I have the opposite reason.   The Pro means my kids don't need to keep removing the joyCons or even remove the console from the dock.  So the switch stays pristine.

I get the whole carts being more expensive therefore boxed copies of games may be more expensive on Switch, but why are download games more expensive?! The latest being NBA Playgrounds, £15.99 on Xbox One/PS4, £17.99 on Switch. That's just extremely annoying. It surely isn't a requirement to have parity on physical and download prices?!

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

It's exactly that.

1 hour ago, Bojangle said:

Yep, it's been this way forever, any big new release is £49.99 on PSN/XBL yet you'll get a physical copy for anything from £30-45 if you shop around. It sucks. 

I just don't see why the download price can't be the same across platforms. But it is simply higher on Switch because the physical price is higher. That's shit.

51 minutes ago, *chin* said:

I just don't see why the download price can't be the same across platforms. But it is simply higher on Switch because the physical price is higher. That's shit.

I don't think there is a physical release for Playgrounds is there? Surely the price difference is because you're getting a game you can play at home or on the go (and they're scalping pricks/it's an unproven console for 3rd parties etc) - worth an extra £2 I reckon! 

4 minutes ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

Someone recommended a 3rd party Ethernet adaptor earlier in the thread.

Can anyone remember which one it was, and why it was a better buy than the official one? :)

This one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MYTSN18/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its better because it serves the same purpose but doesn't cost £25

4 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I don't think there is a physical release for Playgrounds is there? Surely the price difference is because you're getting a game you can play at home or on the go (and they're scalping pricks/it's an unproven console for 3rd parties etc) - worth an extra £2 I reckon! 

Well this is true, there is no physical release for NBA Playgrounds specifically. Which makes the pricing all the more strange. Switch will definitely be my multiplatform console of choice, if it is released on it, but it hurts that it will cost more, even if it is worth it!

I really want them to start selling either additional docks or a simple hdmi out cable for this - seems silly having to play on the small screen in our lounge when my wife wants to play instead of the big TV, but it's far too much hassle to keep moving the dock from my gaming room. 

An hdmi out would also be great for taking round to other people's houses.