IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

The foam stop interference from wifi..etc. occurring to the Bluetooth trace on the PCB itself. 

There's a new revision with a new PCB that does not have this interference issue. 

So the foam is only there to essentially "hack" the issue out of joy-con's with the old PCB 

citation:

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/nintendo-switch-joycon-desync-connectivity-issue-fix/ 

Mario Odyssey confirmed playable at E3:

11th May, 2017 – As part of Nintendo’s plan to deliver news about upcoming games throughout the year, the company will provide a packed week of activities at the E3 video game show, which runs from 13th to 15th June in Los Angeles.

Proceedings will be headlined by the first-ever opportunity to play Super Mario Odyssey, Mario’s upcoming sandbox-style adventure for the Nintendo Switch console, as well as other Nintendo Switch games. Additional activities at the annual show include a Nintendo Spotlight: E3 2017 video presentation announcing new details for Nintendo Switch games launching this year, the return of Nintendo Treehouse: Live at E3, and tournaments for ARMS and Splatoon 2 livestreamed from the show floor.

Nintendo’s E3 activities kick off on Tuesday 13th June at 17:00 BST with its Nintendo Spotlight: E3 2017 video presentation. Available to view in local languages live at Nintendo of Europe’s E3 2017 website, this presentation will offer more details about Super Mario Odyssey and other Nintendo Switch games, with a focus on games launching this year.

Immediately following Nintendo Spotlight: E3 2017, Nintendo is once again bringing back Nintendo Treehouse: Live at E3, a livestreamed showcase of upcoming games for Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. Gameplay for all the featured games will be streamed from the E3 show floor from 13th to 15th June via Nintendo’s Twitch channels, with a chatroom available in viewers’ local language. In addition to gameplay, the livestream will include behind-the-scenes info and commentary from game developers and members of the Nintendo Treehouse. Nintendo Treehouse: Live at E3 content will be livestreamed in English only.

When Nintendo’s booth space opens at noon L.A. time on 13th June, show attendees will be among some of the first people in the world to get their hands on Super Mario Odyssey as well as other games for Nintendo Switch. Super Mario Odyssey is Mario’s first sandbox-style game since Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine.

In addition to all of these activities, Nintendo will also host game tournaments that will be livestreamed from the E3 show floor. The 2017 Splatoon 2 World Inkling Invitational splats onto the scene on 13th June and features Splatoon 2 for Nintendo Switch. Composed of four pre-qualified squid squads from Europe, the U.S., Japan and Australia/New Zealand, the tournament will find teams participating in the first-ever international Splatoon 2 competition. The second tournament, the 2017 ARMS Open Invitational, takes place on 14th June and will feature Nintendo’s upcoming ARMS fighting game for Nintendo Switch.

Further details about Nintendo’s activities at E3 will be shared closer to the event. For more information about Nintendo’s activities and announcements at E3 2017, be sure to check Nintendo of Europe’s E3 2017 website in the coming weeks.

The official Yellow joy-cons are actually available to pre-order on the Nintendo store as of today if anyone's interested, there's a good chance they'll be impossible to get hold of if you wait! (My wife tells me that 'they look cool' isn't a reason to buy them when we don't actually need 2 sets :()

I totally want Minecraft again. Even installed the Windows 10 version at lunchtime, and promptly realised that I couldn't even remember how to make a Pickaxe. In my 5 minutes or so of playtime I managed to make some planks. It's going to be the entire adventure over again!

Daft question re minecraft from an MC virgin, but is survival the 'real' game? And what do you do once you've made it through the first night and have a house? How does it keep survival challenging? Do you slowly starve etc.? Do bigger baddies blow up your starter home?

4 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Daft question re minecraft from an MC virgin, but is survival the 'real' game? And what do you do once you've made it through the first night and have a house? How does it keep survival challenging? Do you slowly starve etc.? Do bigger baddies blow up your starter home?

You can actually disable all the survival stuff and just play it in 'Creative' mode.

You will NOT have a house after your first night, you'll maybe have a hole in a cave somewhere.You get hungry. Things need more things, which mean you have to build things and do things, and then you suddenly spent 20 hour making a Creeper statue out of wool.

16 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Its perfectly playable only in creative mode, it's basically a giant Lego set with infinite blocks and some free terrain. I've played for hundreds of hours and never touched survival, I'm of the opinion that them making you earn the blocks was a problem with every previous Lego style game.

I played the XBox 360 version and was only ever interested in the Survival side of things. I'm not really a creative person but starting out with nothing and having to scavenge and put in the work to survive in the early stages was really compelling. And then the latter goals of mining deeper and deeper to get better ore to build better stuff to get to other places (trying to keep it vague). There was also a kind of Dark Souls element to that side of things whereby you'd keep pressing on but very aware that the deeper you got into the caves the higher the chance you would get killed and drop all your stuff. 

From what I understand they've added a ton more survival stuff since the early days of the 360 version though?

Has the Switch version like the 369 version which showed you how to make stuff?  I don't really enjoy having to figure out what materials build what or having to go find guides external to the game.

1 hour ago, CheekyLee said:

You can actually disable all the survival stuff and just play it in 'Creative' mode.

You will NOT have a house after your first night, you'll maybe have a hole in a cave somewhere.You get hungry. Things need more things, which mean you have to build things and do things, and then you suddenly spent 20 hour making a Creeper statue out of wool.

I had a house on my first night. 360 version, anyway.

Didn't really play it after that.

Just now, CheekyLee said:

Yes, well, we all know that deKay world bears no resemblance to the world the rest of us play our games in. I guarantee you that @jonamok won't have a house in 1 night.

But it literally tells you how. It even starts it off for you. You can't leave the very small starting area until you've made one!

15 minutes ago, Stanley said:

That tutorial wasn't available when the 360 version originally launched. You were literally dropped in the middle of nowhere and had to survive the night whatever way you could. 

Can you choose to start that way? Dropped in the middle of nowhere is way better.

I don't think it was dumbed down, it was the full fat version just obviously with smaller worlds, and I don't think it had all the features of the PC version - it was a couple of versions behind. 

Edit. I agree with you though, being flung in at the deep end was a magnificent way to start the game - I remember just being huddled in this tiny mud hut, pitch black - didn't even have a door, with all these zombie noises outside. Terrifying! 

16 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Can you choose to start that way? Dropped in the middle of nowhere is way better.

I think so, yeah. You definitely don't have to use the tutorial world to continue your game - not sure if it makes you compete the tutorial first though. 

But yeah, I'd ignore all the advanced stuff it shows you when you complete the tutorial. It's too much to take in at the beginning when you're barely capable of building even very basic things. Much better to discover them as you play.

5 hours ago, Majora said:

I played the XBox 360 version and was only ever interested in the Survival side of things. I'm not really a creative person but starting out with nothing and having to scavenge and put in the work to survive in the early stages was really compelling. And then the latter goals of mining deeper and deeper to get better ore to build better stuff to get to other places (trying to keep it vague). There was also a kind of Dark Souls element to that side of things whereby you'd keep pressing on but very aware that the deeper you got into the caves the higher the chance you would get killed and drop all your stuff. 

From what I understand they've added a ton more survival stuff since the early days of the 360 version though?

Im not sure how the Switch edition compares to the XO/PS4 versions, but in general Minecraft is a continually evolving platform, as can be seen in this overview of the changes to the XO client.

There are so many features to the game now that, without the (amazing) tutorial map, most casual gamers would feel completely lost.

As for the 'first night', all you need is a grass block between you and the night world.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves is FUCKING BEAUTIFUL! I only played it on DreamCast, and since that was a fighting games fan's dream of a console it never really got quite the attention it deserved next to MvC 2 and Third Strike, but now I am regretting some of my earlier choices. Dive in, people. For £6.29? Dive right in!

Minecraft is the ultimate toy. Just like lego, play it how you want.

- You want to bulld crazy shit out of unlimited diamond blocks then play creative.

- You want to play a sruvival game where you mine... and yes.. craft shit with little challenge go ahead

- you weant to do that but have tougher monsters? yeah

- you want to aim for an end goal and BEAT the game? yep got that

- you want a hardcore 1 life version? yep#

- You want to chill and mine all night before bed because it satisfies your ocd? you got it

- you want to build your own challenge with self enforced game rules? go ahead

it is the ultimate toybox from one end where it is like one of those fiddle cube things right upto being a full "game" with an "ending"

(oh and console versions ALWAYS had the tutorial if you chose to do it but you did not have to you could just open a normal survival world and jump in deep end)

the best way to start out is not to use tutorial so you learn as you go :D