IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

So, what's the deal with Minecraft? I started the game and it just plonked me in the middle of a field without so much as a how-do-you-do, and then it eventually became night time and so far I've been blown up by a creeper, beaten to death by a zombie and smushed by an enderman. Wtf am I meant to be doing? Also, this game is hideous. :lol: terraria had a pixel art charm, but this is just fugly. 

23 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

So, what's the deal with Minecraft? I started the game and it just plonked me in the middle of a field without so much as a how-do-you-do, and then it eventually became night time and so far I've been blown up by a creeper, beaten to death by a zombie and smushed by an enderman. Wtf am I meant to be doing? Also, this game is hideous. :lol: terraria had a pixel art charm, but this is just fugly. 

Start mining and crafting, it's like right there in the name. 

3 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

Pretty much EVERYTHING you imagine about the Switch beforehand turns out to be true once you have one. You honestly have no idea. There's a reason that Switch owners are on a non-stop love-in with the console, and the reason is the console itself.

I was playing Zelda on the train about a month ago and I noticed a bloke sort of eying me up. Normally I'd be quite wary of that sort of thing, but there was a sparkle in his eye. He moved seat to be across from me and sort of leaned in. I prepared myself. 

"Hey, is that a Switch? What do you think of it? I was thinking about getting one but not too sure."

I told him exactly that - it completely delivers on your expectations, it's genuinely fun and exciting and Zelda is perfect. If you're feeling the slightest inclination - you won't be disappointed. 

Havent seen him since but pretty sure he got one... and was a happy chappy!

The always-on, play-anywhere, anytime factor is such a game changer, pardon the expression. I think this is now the de facto way of playing games. Any system that can't be undocked and played in tablet mode from here on out would be retrograde, like a controller without an analogue stick. 

On the plane I got a couple of hours out of Zelda before attempting to charge it (or at least power it) on the onboard USB charger socket. It didn't work. Worked fine on phones but the Switch didn't want to know. Is this because it doesn't provide enough power?

I had a power bank but it was in my bag in the overhead locker and I couldn't be bothered to fish it out.

8 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Even playing singleplayer with one joycon was great.

It is. When in tabletop mode like that it's very easy to forget that it's a portable.

It's also its own best marketing tool.

Minecraft is bloody amazing. You know, it's Minecraft, but this is the ultimate version. 

8 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Play the tutorial. It teaches you the basics. 

7 hours ago, Azrael said:

Start mining and crafting, it's like right there in the name. 

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Minecraft is bloody amazing. You know, it's Minecraft, but this is the ultimate version. 

Play the tutorial. It teaches you the basics. 

Cheers guys, will do. 

I've built a two story house made of birch. It even has a door! But I wandered too far from home and got killed by a skeleton, losing all my stuff. I went looking for it again but couldn't find it - can you get stuff back? 

Is there a "point" to the game i.e. a win condition such as survive so many days or whatever, or is it literally just build bigger and better housing? 

It's whatever you want it to be really. You can level up, make weapons and armour. There is an ending should you choose to pursue that. 

But it's way more than just building better houses. For me it's about the mining - going deeper and deeper, spending days without resurfacing. Building elaborate mineshafts with railcarts etc. 

I like making fortresses too and finding inventive ways of dealing with mobs. 

Honestly there's just so much you can do. Co op is brilliant too. We must set up some multiplayer games on here.

One thing I don't like about the Switch version is that they've added achievements. 

Achievements are so last gen.

Minecraft is brutal. Had a good explore, but got mullered by some green dudes in a cave. Respawn by my bed with nothing.

Including no fucking map. By the time I find the place again, and dodge the mobs, all my stuff has timed out and gone for good.

So now I have no map, no digging or fighting gear. And even if I make a new map, which I believe needs some major spelunking to get redstone for a compass, it will apparently be blank anyway, and I'm effectively starting again in my mission to map jonamokatopia. Jesus. Probably the only (non-Roguelike) game I know that deletes your bloody map when you die. Lol. Lesson learned.

1 hour ago, NEG said:

You all sure sound desperate for games.

No at all.  I've only got 3 games I could buy up many more if so inclined.  I'm sticking to buying masterpiece best in genre games. I've got Zelda, Mario Kart and Minecraft so far.  I've got a PC bursting full of games but going forwards I'd be inclined to buy multiplaform games for the portability of the Switch.  It cannot be stated enough but the Switch is so much more busy lifestyle friendly.  I've had more gameplay time on my Switch than I've ever had, as it's so pick up and play and devoid of faff.

i just love the convenience of this thing.

Playing the Minecraft tutorial at the moment and I just find it so relaxing lying back on my sofa while listening to the radio.

6 hours ago, Stanley said:

Can anyone work out how to turn achievements off?

You can't earn achievements in creative mode. Start a game in creative mode, quit and reload in survival mode and achievements shouldn't pop then.

Just starting out on Minecraft survival mode.  Day three I stupidly went out at night and got attacked by a zombie.  I'm not sure what happened but I'm moved no really slowly and an unable to close the door to my half shack/half rabbit hole home.  Am I infected?

nvm:  I accidentally went into crouch mode lol

My first steps in a new minecraft world are

1. crafting table at spawn

2. couple of wood axes and a few wood pickaxes

3. scout around for a nearby hill

4. construct small hobbit hole

5. gather a load of wood to make torches

6. spend the night digging out my hovel.

7. Next day find enough wool to craft a bed. Now I can skip night if I don't fancy digging

I really like this version. It runs well and looks good. I like that it has the quick crafting menu but that you can also disable it and go back to regular. Minecraft is just an amazing game.

I'm currently extending my underground pit and building up supplies.

2 hours ago, NEG said:

You all sure sound desperate for games.

I see comments like these pop up all over the place and I'm genuinely baffled by it. First reason being that it just comes across as shitposting to try and get a rise out of people.

The other reason is that within a span of three months, the Switch has shown itself to be the go-to platform for something the other platforms have not been offering: local multiplayer. Had someone walk up to me yesterday as I was playing Mario Kart who sounded genuinely annoyed that Sony had pretty much given up on the feature and that the Switch looked attractive as a result.

To be honest, I can't blame the guy. Sure, Mario Kart 8 can be played on the Wii U, Puyo Puyo Tetris can be played on PS4, but why bother? Switch provides an upgrade for those titles in terms of instant portability and out of the box local multiplayer. Plenty of content to go around thanks to that.

5 minutes ago, HarMGM said:

I see comments like these pop up all over the place and I'm genuinely baffled by it. First reason being that it just comes across as shitposting to try and get a rise out of people.

The other reason is that within a span of three months, the Switch has shown itself to be the go-to platform for something the other platforms have not been offering: local multiplayer. Had someone walk up to me yesterday as I was playing Mario Kart who sounded genuinely annoyed that Sony had pretty much given up on the feature and that the Switch looked attractive as a result.

To be honest, I can't blame the guy. Sure, Mario Kart 8 can be played on the Wii U, Puyo Puyo Tetris can be played on PS4, but why bother? Switch provides an upgrade for those titles in terms of instant portability and out of the box local multiplayer. Plenty of content to go around thanks to that.

Minecraft can be played on everything. Literally everything. The version hasn't even the advantage of (doesn't fit in your pocket but regardless) portability, can do that with Vita.

It's also surprising seeing so many playing it for the first time, simply because it's on Switch. The brand loyalty to the platform is something I haven't seen since the 16bit days.

Nintendo isn't going to die, guys. You don't need to buy ALL the ports/inferior third party stuff, especially poor ones. Minecraft apparently has framerate issues (and of course, isn't as feature complete as it's console rivals).

3 minutes ago, NEG said:

Minecraft can be played on everything. Literally everything. The version hasn't even the advantage of (doesn't fit in your pocket but regardless) portability, can do that with Vita.

It's also surprising seeing so many playing it for the first time, simply because it's on Switch. The brand loyalty to the platform is something I haven't seen since the 16bit days.

Nintendo isn't going to die, guys. You don't need to buy ALL the ports, especially poor ones. Minecraft apparently has framerate issues (and of course, isn't as feature complete as it's console rivals).

Except the Vita version is significant downgrade compared to the Switch version as the Switch variant offers a world much bigger and closer to the PS4 and Xbone versions whilst running at 60 fps. Next to that it offers choice between portable play and console play offering up local multi on the go as well. So you're pretty much talking out of your arse with regards to that.

Also, gonna need to see the receipts for framerate issues as no review I've read has said anything about that.

9 hours ago, NEG said:

Nintendo isn't going to die, guys. You don't need to buy ALL the ports/inferior third party stuff, especially poor ones. Minecraft apparently has framerate issues (and of course, isn't as feature complete as it's console rivals).

I don't think anyone is buying anything in order to ensure the platform survives. We are buying  games we may already own or that are already available on other platforms simply because the Switch is such a fantastic,  refreshing,  maybe even revolutionary, way to play them. 

Your apparent frustration at Switch  buyers demonstrating 'brand loyalty' is more than a little ironic given your own allegiance to a hedgehog. 

36 minutes ago, NEG said:

I don't get it.  What is your agenda here.  By all accounts if someone wants a portable version of Minecraft, the Switch version is the best version.  End of discussion.

EDit:  someone is likely to say that a laptop with the Java version of Minecraft is the best portable version but that falls on the wrong side of convenience imo 

17 minutes ago, HarMGM said:

Except the Vita version is significant downgrade compared to the Switch version as the Switch variant offers a world much bigger and closer to the PS4 and Xbone versions whilst running at 60 fps. Next to that it offers choice between portable play and console play offering up local multi on the go as well. So you're pretty much talking out of your arse with regards to that.

Also, gonna need to see the receipts for framerate issues as no review I've read has said anything about that.

I'm having a lot of fun with Minecraft on Switch, but the framerate dips a lot. Any review that claimed it was a constant 60fps in undocked mode was lying, sorry.