Nintendo Switch

deKay

42 minutes ago, NEG said:

The version hasn't even the advantage of (doesn't fit in your pocket but regardless) portability, can do that with Vita.

Aside from the fact your sentence barely makes sense grammatically, I think you're trying to claim that the Switch can't claim to be a portable console. 

There are a couple of frame rate issues, but otherwise it's much improved on the Vita version. 

In other words, you're talking complete bollocks. 

28 minutes ago, HarMGM said:

Also, gonna need to see the receipts for framerate issues as no review I've read has said anything about that.

Draw distance worse than the 360 version. Multiplayer requires multiple sets of joycon. Can't control who comes into your online game. Most expensive version of Minecraft due to bundling in Mario DLC.

Slowdown time stamped.

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Aside from the fact your sentence barely makes sense grammatically, I think you're trying to claim that the Switch can't claim to be a portable console. 

There are a couple of frame rate issues, but otherwise it's much improved on the Vita version. 

In other words, you're talking complete bollocks. 

To me I'll always prefer the term portable to mean 'fits inside my pocket', yes. I know some don't mind, but I do. If I need to carry something that large outside it's not portable. There are exceptions of course: long travels, plane trips. But day to day, nope, too big.

Yes, I'm sure it's better then the Vita version. The point was that Minecraft is on everything, this isn't doing anything different in that department.

Sorry for calling you fanboys is the only fault, because there's nothing wrong with being one. ;)

Certainly enjoy your purchases, just doesn't seem logical to me so far in terms of Mario Kart, Puyo, Snake Pass, Minecraft, Blaster Master...I'll stop now.

6 minutes ago, NEG said:

Draw distance worse than the 360 version. Multiplayer requires multiple sets of joycon. Can't control who comes into your online game. Most expensive version of Minecraft due to bundling in Mario DLC.

Slowdown time stamped.

To me I'll always prefer the term portable to mean 'fits inside my pocket', yes. I know some don't mind, but I do. If I need to carry something that large outside it's not portable. There are exceptions of course: long travels, plane trips. But day to day, nope, too big.

Yes, I'm sure it's better then the Vita version. The point was that Minecraft is on everything, this isn't doing anything different in that department.

In docked mode it has greater draw distance than the 360, if you are going to make comparisons. In handheld/table top mode it's not far off, and it has larger worlds in both modes. It also has complete parity control wise with the other console versions too, something the Vita version can't claim, and you can't flit back and forth between PS4 and Vita - it's a one time deal once you transfer your Vita save over. 

To be honest, it's not really worth arguing over. Your definition of portable is ridiculously narrow in order to prove a non point. I mean, if it isn't portable in handheld mode then what exactly the fuck is it? 

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

To be honest, it's not really worth arguing over. Your definition of portable is ridiculously narrow in order to prove a non point. I mean, if it isn't portable in handheld mode then what exactly the fuck is it? 

an iPad Mini with controller dongles stuck on either side. I never took my tablets outside either, too big. A phone is better, fits in pocket.

5 minutes ago, NEG said:

an iPad Mini with controller dongles stuck on either side. I never took my tablets outside either, too big.

You don't have to take it outside to take advantage of its portability. I was playing Minecraft in bed last night, and I'm playing it right now, sat on the couch. Because I have the choice. 

You're entitled to your opinion, but the fact of the matter is that right now Minecraft on Switch is the best portable version out there.

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

You don't have to take it outside to take advantage of its portability. I was playing Minecraft in bed last night, and I'm playing it right now, sat on the couch. Because I have the choice. 

You're entitled to your opinion, but the fact of the natter is that right now Minecraft on Switch is the best portable version out there.

Best tablet version, possibly. How does it stack up compared to the iOS/Android version?

1 minute ago, NEG said:

Best tablet version, possibly. How does it stack up compared to the iOS/Android version?

It's immeasurably better due to having proper controls. Moving around in a 3D space using touch controls isn't pleasant. 

I have Minecraft Pocket Edition on my phone and my iPad, and despite looking great (I couldn't tell you whether they have all the features of the console versions) I find them pretty much unplayable. 

Are you now going to try and argue that touch controls are better than an actual proper pad? 

My reasons for buying Minecraft on Switch:

1. I have already have a Switch to play Nintendo's finest 

2. Sleep mode is perfect for pick up and play

3. The joycons are ergonomically fantastic and flexible

4. Mostly 60fps Minecraft

5. Best portable console version 

6. Not to far off home console versions

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Are you now going to try and argue that touch controls are better than an actual proper pad? 

Certainly not. But if I have a bluetooth controller for my tablet, it could be the same exact thing as the Switch version, if not better (requires someone that knows)

Tip: You should point out Switch price versus latest tablet prices next. I'll then answer that a non-Nintendo tablet has far more functionality, for at least right now.

Just now, NEG said:

Certainly not. But if I have a bluetooth controller for my tablet, it could be the same exact thing as the Switch version.

Tip: You should point out Switch price versus latest tablet prices next. I'll then answer that a non-Nintendo tablet has far more functionality, for at least right now.

Yeah, and if that controller then split in two and attached to the tablet perhaps you'd have an argument. 

Tip. I'd wish you good luck playing Nintendo games on those cheaper tablets, or even Minecraft, for all the reasons already discussed. And functionality wise the Switch is way better equipped as a games console.

Fucks sake NEG, get a grip.

9 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah, and if that controller then split in two and attached to the tablet perhaps you'd have an argument. 

Tip. I'd wish you good luck playing Nintendo games on those cheaper tablets, or even Minecraft, for all the reasons already discussed. And functionality wise the Switch is way better equipped as a games console.

Fucks sake NEG, get a grip.

I'm certainly here on Mario day. Sonic Mania could also possibly be no different from other versions (lacking achievements, though). But that's the thing, for those that do care about handheld size, third parties having to make sacrifices, voice chat and many small things like that, it again turns into a mainly Nintendo device.

I do like the Switch, I'm just surprised so many buying (with money) the third party stuff that can and do have flaws compared to other versions. Nintendo should demand better from them (rather then just demanding exclusive features, apparently) That was my main original point, not to rag on Switch's obvious flaws we're all aware of. I got it on day one, man. Likewise the Wii U.

I'll hold the Joy Con Grips tightly for you tonight.

People are free to buy whatever they like, that doesn't mean they're just buying stuff for the sake of it though. I've bought Zelda, Mario Kart 8, 1-2 Switch and Minecraft. I'm not buying everything in sight just because it's on Switch. With regards to Minecraft I knew exactly what I was getting before I bought it - a game I already love and play all the time but with the added improvement of being able to flick seamlessly between TV and portable mode. For me that's worth the (higher) admission price, and the benefit of Switch generally. It's its killer app. 

To be honest it just sounds like buyers remorse on your part. 

Oh I certainly do have remorse, my Switch is still in the trading folder! /awesome intentional advertisement ending

But yes, reading this thread sometimes feels like people are buying everything just because it's there. I didn't mean to come off spikey about it, sorry.

You know the game I bought besides 1,2 Switch and Zelda? Voez, which you now need to search for to find it, another of the things Nintendo need to improve.

Voez? Already available on mobile platforms. Touchscreen only to boot! But you know what makes it superior to any other version? All the DLC music is built into the price. We need to support that sort of thing, because otherwise they'll think it's just more profitable to release the tracks piecemeal on Switch as well. To me, its the best version possible.

Pretty good music rhythm game, it's no Elite Beat Agents, but certainly good enough and OVER 100 TRACKS.

What has the thread done more praising of instead? 3 year old Wii U game and Minecraft. Again, sorry to come off blunt about it. I say what I see.

I'm just very, very picky when I buy games.

1 minute ago, NEG said:

That was too obvious to even mention, man.

Well so was Mario Kart, man. 

There's praise for all kinds in here to be fair. Graceful Explosion Machine, Mr Shifty, Puyo Puyo Tetris, various Neo Geo games. But on the other hand I don't see people praising 1-2 Switch just because they've bought it. There is balance and objectivity. 

Mainly what I'm seeing is that people really get the versatility of the console. You might prefer some games more on the TV, like Zelda, or some might lend themselves to portable play more, like Puyo. Some a mix of the two. The great thing is that everything about it works really well. I think it's exceeded a lot of peoples expectations. 

I had a good stab at getting a working setup with my phone (and a tablet; both android) and various bluetooth controllers. The results were roundly shit. Variable experiences on 3D stuff, controllers disconnecting, or games not natively supporting them, lag, batteries for controllers, finding a way to prop the phone/tablet up, ugh. The other thing they don't tell you about mobile gaming: it is the thing that drains the battery on your phone the most, so you end up sharing gaming time and actually, you know, having a phone that works.

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Well so was Mario Kart, man.

Not to me. As someone who could not care for Battle Mode improvement, and again, isn't going to take the Switch outside 80% of the time.

I'd love to play it for the sake of using the Pro Controller with it, which is so much better then the Wii U Pro Controller. But £40 for more hand comfort (and a minor bump in resolution) in a 3 year old game, nah.

As if the Vita fits in a pocket :lol:

Anyhoo, is minecraft getting a physical release - I only ask as it will be my little one playing it and when she gets a Switch who knows she would be able to play the digital one if I bought it!?

Btw @NEG I don't play minecraft at all but own it on Mac (2 versions) Win10, PS4, Vita and Xbone - am I allowed to buy it again?

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

Btw @NEG I don't play minecraft at all but own it on Mac (2 versions) Win10, PS4, Vita and Xbone - am I allowed to buy it again?

Only if you also buy it on the Mega Drive so you can play Minecraft & Knuckles. :)

I've yet to own any version of Minecraft.

On the subject of multiplatform games I really hope EA give the Switch a proper version of FIFA 18 to match the PS4/Xbone (in terms of gameplay, modes and online). 

I've bought FIFA on Xbox (360 then One) every year since 09 or 10 but would definitely choose a Switch version this year if EA don't fuck it up.