IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

2 hours ago, JPickford said:

I think I'd rather watch NEG's stupid robots than those puppets.

Jesus, no. The Cat Mario Show is like Citizen Kane compared to those fucking robots.

I'm really on the verge of getting a Switch, I don't think I can wait for the bundles to pop up here in Europe. 

Apart from the actual console (and a copy of Zelda), what are the recommended essentials I need to pick up from the get go?

2 minutes ago, Rayn said:

I'm really on the verge of getting a Switch, I don't think I can wait for the bundles to pop up here in Europe. 

Apart from the actual console (and a copy of Zelda), what are the recommended essentials I need to pick up from the get go?

Thumper and MK8 (more so if you didn't own on Wii U)

Then there are a lot of great but not really essential buys such as Graceful Explosion Machine, Shovel Knight, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Turf Masters..

4 minutes ago, Rayn said:

What about accessories? I think I need the Pro controller. What about chargers and carry cases for the tablet, anything out of the ordinary I should look at?

I would definitely recommend a case and screen protector - the official case comes with one and is pretty decent. Otherwise you're good to go. The Pro Controller is awesome but not essential by any means. 

I'd just get one with a case/screen protector and see how you get on.

7 minutes ago, Rayn said:

What about accessories? I think I need the Pro controller. What about chargers and carry cases for the tablet, anything out of the ordinary I should look at?

The only accessories I have picked up so far have been the official case and a screen protector :) Means more money for games ^_^ Of which I have a few now. I think the joycon's are great though not necassarily to everyone's taste. It may be a case of having not had a pro controller I can't miss what i've never had :)

1 hour ago, Rayn said:

I would say the Pro Controller is essential if you intend to ever play on the TV.

I've watched a few Thumper videos now and I still don't really know what the game is.  I think that you have to push a button as your... craft(?) thing passes over a marker on the rail/track thing.  So it's like Frequency/Amplitude? 

I find the analogue sticks on the joycons quite imprecise so I consider the Pro essential from that angle. It's extremely noticeable when using the analogue sticks to navigate menus - I frequently end up going up or down instead of across, for example.

9 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Pro controller is the dogs bollocks but it sounds like arms is loads better with split joycons. 

Cross my fingers that I don't have issues with my left joycon, I've barely used it so far not attached to the switch. 

I think this could be a real issue given the way you're supposed to grip them for Arms.  I'm sure I've seen more reports on here of issues when people started using them for two player Mario Kart rather than just Zelda and that could kick up again when Arms comes out.

51 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

I've watched a few Thumper videos now and I still don't really know what the game is.  I think that you have to push a button as your... craft(?) thing passes over a marker on the rail/track thing.  So it's like Frequency/Amplitude? 

haven't played either of those - but it's a rhythm action game.  There's an ominous drum beat/rhytmic tune going on and you hit things and jump and slide round things in time with the music.  It's like a 3D into the screen version of Bit.Trip.Runner.  But with OMINOUSness

30 minutes ago, Chooch said:

I wouldnt - I love the split Joy-con.

Whereas I would rather not use the compromise of fiddly little buttons and vague analogue sticks designed to accommodate being portable more than practical. An having them separate feels quite awful to me as there is nothing to push against.

25 minutes ago, g wings said:

Agreed. I still haven't got around to getting a pro controller. Its not essential, especially at £60 or whatever it costs.

I guess if you haven't used it then it's hard to decide if it actually is essential.

1 hour ago, Jonny5 said:

Yes, it's made by former Harmonix employees.

There's a Reddit AMA. 

It feels the most intense when the joycons are undocked, but we thought most people would play with either the controller or with docked joycons. And we actually wanted the effect to be pretty subtle since you feel it a LOT while playing. But I can understand how some would want more oomph in the controller. We'll consider doing something like a vibration intensity slider in an update.

That would be welcome.

1 hour ago, Jonny5 said:

The basic controls are dead simple. You hit A when you pass over a glowing pad, hold A to smash through barriers, hold A and a direction to grind around corners, and hold A and Up to jump and fly. Things get more and more frantic as the game progresses though, introducing multiple lanes and combinations of obstacles, and that's before you start trying to go for high scores and S ranks.

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

I guess if you haven't used it then it's hard to decide if it actually is essential.

Except I've used one a lot (borrowed from a friend). It's a really great controller. I just don't think people should think it's truly essential to own.