Nintendo Switch

deKay

50 minutes ago, easternheath said:

I updated the firmware on my SFC30 and paired it with the Switch last night and fuck me, it's amazing! What a bonus!

Tetris, Shovel Knight and Neo Turf Masters all felt better to me with a Snes pad. Especially Tetris.

Oooh, and they all work fine I guess?

Just now, Paulando said:

Oooh, and they all work fine I guess?

As far as the Switch is concerned, you just have a Pro controller connected.

Just now, g wings said:

How does it compensate for the dual shoulder buttons?

The FC30 Pro and NES30 Pro both have dual shoulder buttons.

9 minutes ago, deKay said:

The FC30 Pro and NES30 Pro both have dual shoulder buttons.

Cool. Thanks. I assume the only difference between them is superficial...

Just looked on Amazon, do I need the wireless or bluetooth version?

1 minute ago, g wings said:

Cool. Thanks. I assume the only difference between them is superficial...

Well, the FC30 Pro is fucking awesome to look at and the NES30 Pro isn't, but yeah :)

34 minutes ago, g wings said:

How does it compensate for the dual shoulder buttons?

The SFC30 is just a straight SNES pad, so it's only good for single shoulder button games.

So no Zelda. But everything else I have seems great. Tetris and Shovel Knight are an absolute pleasure on it. 

Home button is mapped to down + select. 

36 minutes ago, g wings said:

Just looked on Amazon, do I need the wireless or bluetooth version?

There's only one version. They're all bluetooth.

44 minutes ago, easternheath said:

The SFC30 is just a straight SNES pad, so it's only good for single shoulder button games.

So no Zelda. But everything else I have seems great. Tetris and Shovel Knight are an absolute pleasure on it. 

Home button is mapped to down + select. 

Yeah, the lack of shoulder buttons and sticks was my only concern, but it seems this isn't an issue for any games I'd be interesting in playing with it. I already own an official Pro Controller, so don't feel like I necessarily need a NES30 Pro.

Where is the best place to buy one from? Amazon have them for £24.00, but are there any other UK suppliers?

1 hour ago, _Pow_ said:

I could go a couple of wee pads for the kids to use. We played some mario kart using single joy-cons and I didn't like them much at all.

I bought the steering wheels for the kids to use for Mario Kart and they work really well. Could also double up as a bigger frame to hold the joy cons for other games too. 

3 hours ago, Paulando said:

Yeah, the lack of shoulder buttons and sticks was my only concern, but it seems this isn't an issue for any games I'd be interesting in playing with it. I already own an official Pro Controller, so don't feel like I necessarily need a NES30 Pro.

Where is the best place to buy one from? Amazon have them for £24.00, but are there any other UK suppliers?

Seriously, just pay the £3 extra for a NES30 Pro. You'll regret not having a stick or shoulder buttons at some point.

6 minutes ago, deKay said:

Seriously, just pay the £3 extra for a NES30 Pro. You'll regret not having a stick or shoulder buttons at some point.

£30 for a pad with no motion controls or HD rumble

M
A
D
N
E
S
S

What fool would pay so much for a pad :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, deKay said:

There's only one version. They're all bluetooth.

Weirdly I see two listed. One is cheaper and only says wifi. Both are sold from 8bitdo.

£29.49... https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-FC30-Wireless-Controller-Android/dp/B013B48POY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495634339&sr=8-1&keywords=fc30+pro

£34.16... https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-FC30-PRO-Bluetooth-Controller/dp/B011X4RU2C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495634339&sr=8-3&keywords=fc30+pro

The reviews are making Ultra SFII sound like SFII: Super Redundant Unnecessary Nostalgia Edition. I guess it's basically an expensive SFII that no one asked for, which is basically fine, but for which the Joy Con pad isn't particularly well suited, which hurts the immediacy of being able to jump right in and relive old memories. I'd be interested in the views of anyone who has paid money for it, mind, just as balance. 

I *finally* played 1-2 Switch today, with my brother. We did have fun, for 30 minutes. As a value proposition it's not much, but it's better than nothing, which is what I started with. 

47 minutes ago, deKay said:

I figure if I want to play something that uses the sticks and shoulder buttons I already have about three other options. I think I'll regret not having a SNES-shaped pad more.

1 hour ago, DC07 said:

From that review:

£35 is an astonishing price to ask people to pay for what is, essentially, a 23-year-old game with online play. On Amazon, Injustice 2, perhaps the most fully-featured fighting game ever made, is only a fiver more expensive on PS4 at £40. Street Fighter 5 is £15.

Shame Injustice isn't on the Switch, as it's bloody amazing!

6 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I figure if I want to play something that uses the sticks and shoulder buttons I already have about three other options. I think I'll regret not having a SNES-shaped pad more.

The FC30 Pro pretty much is SNES shaped anyway.

Grabbing SF on price drop - the only thing that matters in 1 vs 1 vs mode, old graphics.

Special stage where never in SSF2T ive been told and not in this one - not that I would know as ill be playing it VS :D

just need KoF 96 and Samurai Showdown (one) and ill be happy!

52 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I am 100% with you until I think about using the pad for Mario Kart etc, having the analogue sticks and 2 shoulder buttons would make it a great pad to take with you instead of pro pad!

Can the pads maintain connections with various devices or do you have to keep syncing them if you move from say a switch to mobile to tablet etc?

3 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I am 100% with you until I think about using the pad for Mario Kart etc, having the analogue sticks and 2 shoulder buttons would make it a great pad to take with you instead of pro pad!

D-Pad all the way for me ^_^ That's how I played it on the Wii U:

IMG_2709.thumb.JPG.0af2158770050739a6ea224d491dcf50.JPG

Thats not a bad point, I guess I meant for other games - while I really like the Joy Con on their own they do need the straps on IMO to be comfortable and I dont like the dog pad much.

As if I need more pads for the Switch, let alone the Nintendo basket of controller doom!!

The 8-bit-do pads have a mode select when you turn them on with the start button. 

Start only - Android mode

Start + X - Windows x-input

Start + A - Mac

Start + Y - Switch

The SNES pad without analogs is pure class, I've had it for six months and use it all the time. Feels like the real thing. The Switch firmware has just elevated it further for me.  And, they even do a SNES Bluetooth adaptor for using it with your old console. Most compatible pad I've ever owned!